PS3 Backwards compatibility external device

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I don't at all think this won't be laggy, even when the chips were in the PS3 itself there was an inherent 2ish frames of lag in ALL video display modes.

Also they say this will work over the gigabit ethernet port, I don't see how USB has enough bandwidth to do this.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Exactly. The whole point with buying movies or games is that you don't buy a DVD with data on it, you mainly pay for the right to use the content in your home. But still, each time something is re-released on a different platform, customers have to pay again the full price.
If Sony was consistent, they would let me download my old PSX and PS2 games to my PS3 if I can prove that I own the original...
I'm not sure that's quite true. I would argue that if you own a movie on VHS, you're not exactly entitled to a superior version on Blu-Ray. People re-buy movies they love on new formats all the time, and I think re-paying for movies like that is perhaps the way the business model is intended to be. Even though someone could go straight to the Blu-Ray release, and unlike you, not also own a copy on VHS. That person would not have been able to watch the movie all those years in the 80's and 90's when the VHS was the only game in town. Furthermore, owning a download-only version of the same game you have on disc, isn't quite the same argument, since they should both in theory play the same.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
:lolz: So let me get this straight. Sony sells a machine that plays PS2 games. Then they take that feature out. Now they want you to pay to get that feature back? :rolleyes:

Yeah, no kidding. I hate it when companies pull stunts like this. Bullshit, I say.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, no kidding. I hate it when companies pull stunts like this. Bullshit, I say.

Remember when Sony was adding features to the PS2??

Oh well, I made sure to track down a 60GB PS3. I've already had to reflow it once, so it's already on it's last legs...

Oh well...looks like they have me with this PS2 connector if it's real.