PS3 DTS-HD MASTER- OFFICIAL

Battlesmurf

Edo Express Delivery Guy
not to sidetrack too much- but I have that Fakk guy in my ignore list- I suggest the same rather than arguing with the guy- it's not really productive at all.

That being said- as much as I don't use my PS3 for games too much at all (warhawk is nice) I do love the upgrade-a-bility (it's neater spelled that way) of the machine- that thing is oozing with potential.

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
smokehouse said:
Yeah...but who here has a processor for the codec? How many companies even make a processor for DTS-HD...

Classe, B&K, Sunfire, Adcom, Anthem, Lexicon, Meridian, Parasound...

These are just a few that do not even offer a DTS HD processor yet...

It seems that at this point, the only way to get that processing is to buy a cheap-o all-in-one...

Maybe I'm misreading the story, but... doesn't this mean that the PS3 will do the processing?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Nick Goracke said:
Maybe I'm misreading the story, but... doesn't this mean that the PS3 will do the processing?

You have to have a processor...

The PS3 is not a surround processor, it will just output in DTS HD after the update. A second processor will then take that output and process it for output to an amplifier (or, if your using a all-in-one receiver, output to your speakers).

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
The PS3 will not output in 'DTS-HD' after the update. It will output Linear PCM, with the difference being that it will now take the whole, lossless DTS-HD MA track and make Linear PCM of it, instead of just the 1.5 mbps 'core' DTS track.

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
You have to have a processor...

The PS3 is not a surround processor, it will just output in DTS HD after the update. A second processor will then take that output and process it for output to an amplifier (or, if your using a all-in-one receiver, output to your speakers).

The PS3 will not output in 'DTS-HD' after the update. It will output Linear PCM, with the difference being that it will now take the whole, lossless DTS-HD MA track and make Linear PCM of it, instead of just the 1.5 mbps 'core' DTS track.

:lolz:

So does anybody know which it is?

I was under the impression that it was the latter - the PS3 does the processing and sends it to your receiver as PCM (via HDMI), thus eliminating the need for a receiver which can decode DTS-HD MA. And, without this new update, the PS3 could send a DTS-HD MA track to your receiver (via HDMI), but it would be up to the receiver to decode it.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
No, the PS3 has never been able to give you full use of a DTS-HD MA soundtrack until now, even if you had a receiver able to decode high definition sound. The PS3 can't bitstream high definition sound, and will never be able to, because the HDMI chip it's using is customized. But that doesn't matter now anyway, seeing as it decodes it all now anyway.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
That doesn't matter. What it has to do is accept LPCM through HDMI. Which it will. The PS3 is doing the decoding.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
lots of noobs in this thread.

the PS3 CANNOT AND NEVER HAS been able to bitstream HD audio codecs. it does ALL the converting inside the PS3 and outputs it as PCM via HDMI.

so regardless of what codecs your receiver supports, if it supports HDMI audio, you're all good.

the good news is that you can now listen to those DTSHD soundtracks in full PCM, without having them downconverted to the 1.5mbps DTS core.

the only reason it would matter, is if you own a player like the Toshiba HD-A35 that can bitstream DTSHD and DolbyHD audio, for a receiver like the Onkyo 605/705/805 to decode.

both ways end up with the same results, you're still hearing the audio uncompressed.

and FYI, the only brand receivers out at current that decode DTSHD and DolbyHD are onkyo, yamaha and pioneer.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
.. and you call me a massive nerd? Jesus Christ.

DurandalThoth said:
lots of noobs in this thread.

the PS3 CANNOT AND NEVER HAS been able to bitstream HD audio codecs. it does ALL the converting inside the PS3 and outputs it as PCM via HDMI.

so regardless of what codecs your receiver supports, if it supports HDMI audio, you're all good.

the good news is that you can now listen to those DTSHD soundtracks in full PCM, without having them downconverted to the 1.5mbps DTS core.

the only reason it would matter, is if you own a player like the Toshiba HD-A35 that can bitstream DTSHD and DolbyHD audio, for a receiver like the Onkyo 605/705/805 to decode.

both ways end up with the same results, you're still hearing the audio uncompressed.

and FYI, the only brand receivers out at current that decode DTSHD and DolbyHD are onkyo, yamaha and pioneer.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
DurandalThoth said:

Marantz has some out there as well.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Kristian Meller said:
Marantz has some out there as well.

Yeah but who the hell wants a marantz when you can have the top o the line 11.2 Yamaha. ;)

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
DurandalThoth said:
the only brand receivers out at current that decode DTSHD and DolbyHD are onkyo, yamaha and pioneer.
Denon, Marantz, and Sony have models out with both those codecs.

Fakk2 said:
Yeah but who the hell wants a marantz when you can have the top o the line 11.2 Yamaha. ;)
I'm currently looking at receivers, but a 5 grand for an RX-Z11 is not for me. It's like computer hardware, better to go value than to get top-of-the-line for a technology that will get cheap in just a few years. I looked at the Yamaha RX-Vx800s and was leaning towards them at one point, but will probably go Denon because the recent bitstream bomb issue exposed Yamaha's support abilities as well as lack of network features to make their receivers easier to patch.

With the previous or next generation of receivers that won't matter as much, but this generation there are so many new features and codecs being driven by HD that all receivers will need to be able to be debugged on the fly as HD evolves. Take this PS3 update... most of the current generation of receivers were introduced towards the middle or end of last year. How many of the companies involved guessed exactly what effect the PS3 patch would have? Given the standards for the codecs were already available, there's a difference between programming the codec into the receiver and being able to test it with a PS3 or other BD player to troubleshoot it. Yet another reason not to go top-of-the-line at this point in time... everything is theoretical until the players catch up to the receivers.