PSA: Multicarts and Everdrives may be destroying our hardware

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I can believe this for sure. I recently plugged my fleshlight into a legacy USB port by mistake. After initial insertion I felt a jolt in my testicles followed by a puff of smoke and my penis no longer works.

lol this guy fucks...electronics.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I can believe this for sure. I recently plugged my fleshlight into a legacy USB port by mistake. After initial insertion I felt a jolt in my testicles followed by a puff of smoke and my penis no longer works.

Dude you weren't suppose to go ballzdeep

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member

Have some ginsneg to fix your Electronic dysfunction. That's ok buddy, it happens to everyone. You're probably have too much stress.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Better to just not play games to preserve the value of a mountain of plastic.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
How many people on here will still care about this in 30 years? I'll be surprised if I still own all this shit in 10 years.

I'd be surprised if you're still alive in 10 years.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
"I have already heard from several friends that their NES consoles have died most likely due to their admittedly heavy use of cheap multicarts."

Quite bold I agree, and boldly going where no bullshit has gone before. I've had friends using old chinese shit floppy kits from around 1994 without a fault SNES side, and not too many years later some earlier NES/FC stuff too. I've had a couple powerpaks and it wasn't an issue, but maybe they're setup right?

Let's say he's not trying to get attention blowing up an issue far more than it is actually worth even if it is true, it's being in a way to get some dramatic attention and is spreading around old game forums like some damn trojan. Even then on his own site, he says if he didn't cover an everdrive, it's safe, so the N64, GB, GBA they're 5v setup are fine as are a select others he wrote as 'GOOD.' Great, they work and to the specs he's bringing attention to. But in the end, how many systems are really going to drop dead from this and can be proven? What if the shelf life of a SNES due to some on board chip is 35 years, and then he comes back 10years from now going 'told ya' and the thing is you'd really probably never know or care. By then as madman put it, probably won't even have that shit anymore. Either won't care, or use some other modern method to simulate the shit in a smaller footprint.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Quite bold I agree, and boldly going where no bullshit has gone before. I've had friends using old chinese shit floppy kits from around 1994 without a fault SNES side, and not too many years later some earlier NES/FC stuff too. I've had a couple powerpaks and it wasn't an issue, but maybe they're setup right?

Let's say he's not trying to get attention blowing up an issue far more than it is actually worth even if it is true, it's being in a way to get some dramatic attention and is spreading around old game forums like some damn trojan. Even then on his own site, he says if he didn't cover an everdrive, it's safe, so the N64, GB, GBA they're 5v setup are fine as are a select others he wrote as 'GOOD.' Great, they work and to the specs he's bringing attention to. But in the end, how many systems are really going to drop dead from this and can be proven? What if the shelf life of a SNES due to some on board chip is 35 years, and then he comes back 10years from now going 'told ya' and the thing is you'd really probably never know or care. By then as madman put it, probably won't even have that shit anymore. Either won't care, or use some other modern method to simulate the shit in a smaller footprint.

Dude, STFU. You're just pissed that the cheap Super Everdrive you are about to score might now harm your system. The guy from db electronics has 0 skin in the game other than pointing out the factually accurate information about the specifications of the hardware and it's limitations.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
lol i'm just scrolling past this long-winded cunt and his horrible posts by now.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Don't know what to make of the article.I have three everdrives and play fine still,been thinking about replacing my everdrive md for a newer one though.Still when it comes to electronics nothing last forever.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm seeing a lot of defensiveness here. Bottom line is many of these Everdrives need to improved in the next version to make them safer on the hardware just in case.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
i've often wondered about the supposed downsides to using flash carts. Figured something like this would pop up eventually. Well I dont use my GENNY and SNES that heavily and i do plan to eventually upgrade from my current carts to his newer models at some point so this isnt really a big deal for me.

I do want to know more about these faulty SCART cables doing damage to CRTs though.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Now that I'm starting to sell my carts, NOW I read this. I've recently shipped off Holy Diver, Two SFamicom Parodius (Jykkio being one of them, with the extra data bus) and for god's sake my Rockman Forte.

I guess I'll end up having nothing, no BVM, no consoles, just drunkingly ranting about old stuff here. As I'm right now. Fuck.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Now that I'm starting to sell my carts, NOW I read this. I've recently shipped off Holy Diver, Two SFamicom Parodius (Jykkio being one of them, with the extra data bus) and for god's sake my Rockman Forte.

I guess I'll end up having nothing, no BVM, no consoles, just drunkingly ranting about old stuff here. As I'm right now. Fuck.

Ahh you'll be alright. I sold off alot of stuff in the last few months and I'm getting along fine. Flash cart the shit out of everything, hold on to a few favorites and you'll manage.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I do want to know more about these faulty SCART cables doing damage to CRTs though.
Retro Console Accessories on ebay was making Genesis cables with "enhanced" sync or something like that. Which was just an amplified signal. I don't know why you'd want that. Turns out the extra power can damage the Framemeister.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Whatever boo hoo you don't like I write more than a sentence or two a post. The dude was making a big blow up over something that the odds are likely not to happen at all. Sure it's accurate and possible, but it's not like we're going to see a mass die off of consoles over using kits. And there's no might I did pick up a DSP1-4 enabled Super Everdrive. After seeing some local douche pushing $400 for Mega Man 7, $250 for Super Turrican 2, and $315 on the NES side for Bubble Bobble it helped remove any doubt.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Retro Console Accessories on ebay was making Genesis cables with "enhanced" sync or something like that. Which was just an amplified signal. I don't know why you'd want that. Turns out the extra power can damage the Framemeister.

Yeah i heard something about it doing damage to framemeisters from the recent MyLifeInGaming live panel but i wasnt really sure what the heck they were talking about. I dont have a framemeister and have never ordered from that ebay lady.

So it can damage framemeisters but is it harmful to TVs as well?

neofonta

Zero's Secretary

If you keep the cartridges in possession it's not because of the game itself, it's because of the fact that you like to collect them and you love to see them on your shelf.

As other members of the forum since the 90's I have used copiers and all my consoles still working perfectly.
I don't know what negative effects can the copiers of the new millennium cause as I haven't bought any.

Long live to the floppies!