Raspberry pi users chime in.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
Figured I would make a thread on here for Raspberry pi users. Post projects or just your pi setup and what you use it for.
image.jpg
This is the setup I just got the other day had a chance to mess with it wed and finally adjusted some of the display configurations using /boot/config.txt. I was getting a converted BGR instead of RGB. I also changed the resolution ect.
I'll edit and add some documentation for those that are new.

This link contains most of the documentation you need to figure things out when you have an issue. The raspberry pi org site has decent forums.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation

Last edited:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I've thought about getting into the pi. Problem is, I've already dedicated what little free time I have to other things. Seems like fun though

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It seems like a cool thing but I can't think of a use for it. I already have a laptop, desktop, tablet, smart phone, tons of consoles, a Roku, etc.

mikey

Marked Wolf
I've got a couple of them, they're great. One is permanently hooked up to my TV and runs RaspBMC, and the other is currently hooked up to my GBS-8220 running the project from Shmups. It works really well and improves the GBS's video processing a lot. Well worth doing, although I believe there are ways to do it without the pi now.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i've tried and tried to talk myself into one. I just can't find any useful projects,

already have a Mame/media center

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
I have a couple of them with one set up as an Emu mini-machine while the other (both B models) is still in it's box. Trying to think of something else I can do with it but just have not sat down and put the time into it yet.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
They're alot of cool projects with this. My friend just installed a touchscreen in his car powered by one. Has GPS etc, and works well.

After seeing the raspberry pi gameboys, I've been toying with the idea of finding a broken neo geo pocket and modding it. Has anyone made a handheld here?

Undefined

They're alot of cool projects with this. My friend just installed a touchscreen in his car powered by one. Has GPS etc, and works well.

After seeing the raspberry pi gameboys, I've been toying with the idea of finding a broken neo geo pocket and modding it. Has anyone made a handheld here?

I have not made any kind of handheld but since there is now the official touch screen for the device and it's only $60, https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the-eagerly-awaited-raspberry-pi-display/, I think that might be what gets me to make one.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
Shitty cell phone picks but it works well as a EMU console. Id like to mes with a DAW or Synth next.

Undefined

That looks really nice. I've been using PiPlay but it hasn't been updated in forever and RetroPi seems to be the way to go now so I may change over to that. Are you just sticking with the SD card to hold everything or did you load the roms onto an external drive?

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
I have a 16 gb micro that has the retropie image and I use a usb stick to transfer over the files. I only use it for 16-bit and 8-bit stuff mostly.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I have a 16 gb micro that has the retropie image and I use a usb stick to transfer over the files. I only use it for 16-bit and 8-bit stuff mostly.
Have you tried the scanline overlays? Wasc wondering how well they work

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I just barely picked up one a week ago for hobbyist tinkering. My background is software development but I've wanted to learn hardware-switches, lights, circuitry, resistors, buttons, sensors, etc. The Adafruit Cobbler GPIO breadboard has been great to work with on learning the essentials. So far, I've got a Bluetooth paired Wiimote lighting up various LEDs on the breadboard when you press different buttons. Pretty basic, but I'm excited to work my way up to more advanced things like an RC car or a robot.

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
I use one to compile the firmware for my MiST FPGA board, because the build toolchain (gcc arm variant) doesn't work very well under Windows. I could use a virtual machine but it was super easy to setup by reading and writing files from my Win box, so I don't even need to copy stuff around.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Anyone here try out the RaspberryPi 3? I'm gonna pick it up at some point, but not any time soon, and I'm curious how much better it is than the 2.

314gb ...that made me chuckle

I'm a little sad to say I didn't get it until you pointed it out.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Anyone here try out the RaspberryPi 3? I'm gonna pick it up at some point, but not any time soon, and I'm curious how much better it is than the 2.

I'm a little sad to say I didn't get it until you pointed it out.

It's OK...I just realized it's Pi day today.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I plan on getting a Pi3 as soon as a us distributor has them for sale. Rot offered to get one from the UK and send it but I can wait.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I was messing with my Pi2 last night. It's really a great little product. The only emulator I had issues with is the PSP. It runs pretty bad, but I've only tried a couple games so far.

Interesting thing, was playing some neo geo, and noticed the original Metal Slug had really bad lag, but all the other versions worked perfectly. Anyone have this issue?

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
I plan on getting a Pi3 as soon as a us distributor has them for sale. Rot offered to get one from the UK and send it but I can wait.

MCM Electronics has them in stock.
I'm really tempted to buy one as a compact emulation box.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Well, I've been playing with a pi 3 today, and it is an impressive little emulator box. I got amazing results with the crt-hyllian shader on retropie. This looks as good as playing through my framemeister. It does feel like it has a bit more lag than playing a real console through the framemeister though.

ruSLmbj.jpg