Retro-Bit Mega Drive/Genesis controllers

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I've been looking for a used MD 6-button pad in good condition but prices are way out there. Then I came across the Retro-Bit website who make controllers for various Sega consoles (among others) and finally bought one of their MD pads on eBay for €15.99.

They also offer USB versions for use on computers.

I'm very pleased with the pad, looks and feels just like the original. For what it's worth, Retro-Bit have acquired a license from Sega to make these pads.

It also comes with a 10 ft cable which is always welcome.

So, if you're looking for a great alternative to all those overpriced original MD pads, the Retro-Bit version is highly recommended.

If anyone of you has some experience with these pads, speak up.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
They're fine, but I heard somewhere they're a bit smaller than the original ones? Decent deal if you can't find original ones for a good price.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Didn't know the wireless versions came out. I bought the 8bitdo wireless mega drive controller and I'm really happy with it. Know I'm wondering if I should add the wireless retro-bit to my collection.

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
They're fine, but I heard somewhere they're a bit smaller than the original ones? Decent deal if you can't find original ones for a good price.

Iirc they used mega drive molds, which are slightly smaller than genesis controllers.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I want to get it for my Genesis but I need to pay an additional $15 for a dongle. I might do it.

I tried the Genesis pads. They're nice but I really like the 8bitdo ones more. I think it's a personal preference. Buy em on Amazon and return them if you don't like em.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I really like the Sega Genesis 6 Button pad.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I tried the Genesis pads. They're nice but I really like the 8bitdo ones more. I think it's a personal preference. Buy em on Amazon and return them if you don't like em.

In my personal opinion, the 8bitdo are better. They feel more solid. I had one from retrobit, wasn't bad but felt a bit cheap.
Could be that I had one of the first wired ones.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Are there any lag problems with Bluetooth wireless controllers? They also offer a 2.4G version. Hmm... well, actually I don't really need wireless pads for my consoles except for the Xbone as I set them up on the couch table and connect them to my good old Philips CM8833 RGB monitor so the consoles or computers are less than half a metre away.

The 8BitDo controllers look good, tho, they cost more than the Retro-Bit ones but I guess that's okay if quality is better.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Are there any lag problems with Bluetooth wireless controllers? They also offer a 2.4G version. Hmm... well, actually I don't really need wireless pads for my consoles except for the Xbone as I set them up on the couch table and connect them to my good old Philips CM8833 RGB monitor so the consoles or computers are less than half a metre away.

The 8BitDo controllers look good, tho, they cost more than the Retro-Bit ones but I guess that's okay if quality is better.

2.4G > BT

BT sucks in my opinion...I'm not even a purist and I can feel the lag with BT controllers.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
2.4G > BT

BT sucks in my opinion...I'm not even a purist and I can feel the lag with BT controllers.

Yea, I don't know what Nintendo uses, but the switch stuff is lol. I'm using a 8bitdo sn30 pro+ on with my rpi4 and using runahead frames and it's pretty tight. But for sure 2.4 is the way to go if you can.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
2.4G > BT

I have a BT adaptor for my stereo that I connect to with my laptop but it's far from perfect, so yeah, I'd prolly opt for 2.4G as well. I guess BT is cool for casual stuff but when it comes to fraction-of-a-sec button presses and movement it may not be the right choice.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
As it stands with 8bitdo they seem to release one over the other with BT and 2.4.

The NES/SNES classics for 2.4, and the retro receiver for both NES & SNES are bluetooth.

They did just announce 2.4 NES & SNES controllers though.

It bugs me that the Saturn controller in black is only available as Bluetooth

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
2.4G > BT

I don't see a huge difference in my two setups.

I have an 8bitdo M30 for the Genesis and that's 2.4G and it works great. I tested it out with a Battle Mania 2 1cc (and other games later I wasn't as familiar with) and it works flawlessly with either 0 to no noticeable lag.

On the NES I have the 8bitdo BT adapter working with the N30 controller and the first thing I did was sit down and 1cc Contra (no 30 lives code) but later I gave it the ultimate lag test with Ninja Gaiden. Once again I beat it and I even came close to getting a 1cc (that 3 boss setup at the end always rocks me). I am convinced it's on par with the lag on the M30 (as in no lag or so minute it's not noticeable).

I could be wrong pixelman, but overall I think BT lag is more sensitive to outside factors so that could be a reason why there's a perception that it's not as flawless as 2.4G.

They did just announce 2.4 NES & SNES controllers though.

Maybe I'll go 2.4 with a SNES setup (I'm still working on the finding the right SNES console), but like I said above, the BT NES adapter works great.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I don't see a huge difference in my two setups.

I have a 8bitdo M30 for the Genesis and that's 2.4G and it works great. I tested it out with a Battle Mania 2 1cc (and other games later I wasn't as familiar with) and it works flawlessly with either 0 to no noticeable lag.

On the NES I have the 8bitdo bluetooth adapter working with the N30 controller and the first thing I did was sit down and 1cc Contra (no 30 lives code) but later I gave it the ultimate lag test with Ninja Gaiden. Once again I beat it and I even came close to getting a 1cc (that 3 boss setup at the end always rocks me). I am convinced it's on par with the lag on the M30 (as in no lag or so minute it's not noticeable).

Perceptible lag will differ from person to person. BitD when guitar hero was huge I remember that every person playing would have to recalibrate the guitar or they would fail right out of the gate

tangemo

New Challenger
One cool thing about the newer Retro-bit wireless Genesis and Saturn controllers is that they come with both usb and console receivers. I find that the Retro-bit feels more authentic but the 8bitdo feels more sturdy and solid.

I use the RF versions of both on consoles and Mega SG, but I use the bluetooth 8bitdo on PC/Switch/Nvidia Shield. I think that my HDTVs are probably affecting any perceptible input lag more than BT, but I def prefer 2.4 RF. As long as I can do 2D fighter super moves on demand, it's all good for me. I like the Hyperkin Scout RF for Snes over the 8bitdo + Retro Receiver as well.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I got the Saturn retro bit RF controller last week and I gotta say this is pretty damn good for a repro.