Returning AES owner, anyone doing recaps and bios installs?

VisionRom

n00b
My last AES was a super neo back in the early 2000's. Just picked up a AES Gold System and want to get it set up for RGB output a recap and universal bios install. Is there anyone of the forum that you would recommend? I can honestly do most of this stuff myself, but the price of this system has me nervous. Thanks!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Not sure if @BIG BEAR does recaps. FYI, the Neo Geo already has RGB without modding. You would only need modding if there's a video quality issue that needs to be addressed (if it's one of the models that has jail bars or needs a bypass). It's possible you have a model where the RGB is already fine.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Not sure if @BIG BEAR does recaps. FYI, the Neo Geo already has RGB without modding. You would only need modding if there's a video quality issue that needs to be addressed (if it's one of the models that has jail bars or needs a bypass). It's possible you have a model where the RGB is already fine.

Yes, please stop doing RGB mods to systems that don't need it. Only certain revisions need anything done. I keep seeing knuckleheads on FB doing the RGB bypass on motherboard revisions that already have excellent RGB.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Ugh just buy a retrotink or ossc and be done with it. Maybe if you have a 3-6 rev do the trace cut technique but really it doesn't matter much.

VisionRom

n00b
Oh yeah that’s fine … I’m good with whatever is going to keep it in the best shape. Do these systems have problems with capacitors? I do still need the universal bios to play a multi cart correct?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yes, please stop doing RGB mods to systems that don't need it. Only certain revisions need anything done. I keep seeing knuckleheads on FB doing the RGB bypass on motherboard revisions that already have excellent RGB.
Plus the unitiated throw their hands up and say RGB isn't worth it because they think every system needs a gooby mod. The NES and Turbografx are the only major systems that need a mod to output RGB.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Oh yeah that’s fine … I’m good with whatever is going to keep it in the best shape. Do these systems have problems with capacitors? I do still need the universal bios to play a multi cart correct?
By multicart you mean a NeoSD or Darksoft cart? No. Caps only need replacement if the audio isn't quite right, see how you go. No point doing work for no reason.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
He might be meaning ‘Pic n mix’ for the 161 in 1 carts.

Those work fine without unibios but you’ll not be able to change region, difficulty, number of credits… I wouldn’t worry too much about the pick n mix feature as I believe some editions (I think the newest revision) don’t play nice with pic n mix and you can still select games easily without it.

The caps on Neo Geo’s are typically pretty good and don’t leak compared to say my 3DO FZ-10 that was as leak tight as a Oceangate submarine. As Lach said no point doing more work than you have to.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I could never bring myself to drilling holes in the AES casing.Ive worked on already modified systems and purchased some damaged ones with the mod but Never..ever...never have or would I ruin a perfectly good AES console casing..
BB

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I could never bring myself to drilling holes in the AES casing.Ive worked on already modified systems and purchased some damaged ones with the mod but Never..ever...never have or would I ruin a perfectly good AES console casing..
BB
Please install a color-shifting LED in my AES reset button.

VisionRom

n00b
IMG_0559.jpeg
This is my motherboard. There’s no revision like 3-x on the side … am I looking in the wrong spot?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
That's the first revision. The typical mod for yours involves removing that daughter board and moving the crsytal oscillator to the main board. But the RGB output might be okay as is.

VisionRom

n00b
By multicart you mean a NeoSD or Darksoft cart? No. Caps only need replacement if the audio isn't quite right, see how you go. No point doing work for no reason.
Is there an overall preference between the two multicarts? Does it matter?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Is there an overall preference between the two multicarts? Does it matter?
Did I allude to there being one? Use that lil nut up there and figure it out with the power of the internet.

VisionRom

n00b
Did I allude to there being one? Use that lil nut up there and figure it out with the power of the internet.
Yeah I mean I know all about the TO drama, and as far as I can tell there’s no restock date on darksoft. Looks like Neo SD wins by default unfortunately

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yeah I mean I know all about the TO drama, and as far as I can tell there’s no restock date on darksoft. Looks like Neo SD wins by default unfortunately
It's one of those things, you're a bit late to the party and it kinda started pre covid and covid then fucked it all up. I don't know if it matters much but a mister or emulation at this stage is probably far better value than the real deal unless you have money to burn.

VisionRom

n00b
Hell man, value went out the window a long time ago. No one is buying original stuff for “value” anymore. Emulation and FPGA will always be better. Back in 2003 when I was here I thought value was gone. I’ll pick up the occasional original AES or MVS kit, but mainly using multi carts. I’ve got an AES and a Super Neo 29 Candy so I’d like to get those set up. The mister is great and I’ve got one, just like playing with original controllers on original hardware on my CRT.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Grab a NeoSD preorder from Stone Age Gamer.