Ridge Racer Unbounded announced

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
Not sure if there's another thread about this somewhere, but I thought I would let people know there's a new Ridge Racer in the works. This has to be one of my favorite series of all time, but it looks like they are changing the game up this iteration to make it more like Burnout. Also it's being published by Bugbear Entertainment makers of Flatout so who knows if it will be any good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id5CyBo5tXA

Last edited:

evil son

Bead Banger
I saw that trailer the other day I don't like this direction they are taking.
Any info on why the original developers not working on it anymore?

Last edited:

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
1st thought was "jesus it looks like NFS Underground....where the fuck are the "Ridges".

Then she got in the Muscle car and when she hit the taxi i just burst out laughing.

What the fuck are they thinking.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I hope it's just a side game,
like RR evolution.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
looking at this thread title got me so excited, then looking at the video my heart broke instantly.

nice PS1 era CGI too, that shit is the future of animation I hear. Awesome they can fit it on game disks thanks to CD-rom technology.

Igniz v2

whinny little kid, why r teens so angry, needs sec
Wow that's pretty awful looking. Ridge Racer = bright colors, beautiful places, techno music, not this urban shit. I guess the series just doesn't sell the way it used to. Wonder if they'll put the icing on the cake by making it free roaming.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
I'll repost what I put on Joystiq when they announced this:

"Rest in peace, Ridge Racer. I'll miss you."

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
simon-cowell-thumbs-down.jpg

evil son

Bead Banger
What is it with Japanese publishers letting there top franchises be developed by these wack developers these days?

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
What is it with Japanese publishers letting there top franchises be developed by these wack developers these days?

no doubt, that whole trailer was a fuck you to ridge racer.

This trailer might as well have had monster truck commentator voice say " This aint your grandmas ridge racer!" then cue some arena rock. was that the ridge racer chick? (reiko was it?) I bet shes got tribal flame tattoos and a nose ring now.

fuck this game.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.

This disturbing trend is due to Japanese developers desperately trying to appeal to western audiences.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
This is my nightmare.:crying:

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I saw a thread about this on the shmups forum and was too afraid to watch, but I just now did. What the fuck have they done to Ridge Racer?

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Is unbounded even a word?

I'd be very upset is this were a series I cared about.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Looks x-treme, as in an early 90s-esque revamp to make a once-prominent franchise "edgy" and give it more "attitude".

In other words, it looks like pure tripe.

This comment gave me a cheap belly laugh (much more...creative?...than the obligatory "typical woman driver" one):

The most stupid trailer I ever seen. Begin from this how she walks through the steam (why the hell he goes trough that - I never go through it), then when the shows boots which she wear (and driving in this OMG), till this crashes. What a piece of shit and really really bullshit.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Hahaha what shit. Looks like the intro to a fast & furious game.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Looks x-treme, as in an early 90s-esque revamp to make a once-prominent franchise "edgy" and give it more "attitude".

In other words, it looks like pure tripe.

Now as a special treat courtesy of our friends at the meat council, please help yourself to this tripe!

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I'm not even going to watch the video after reading everyone's comments.
No need to intentionally piss myself off.

Ridge Racer is a brand, a longtime franchise that brings with it certain expectations.
You expect these sorts of uber-clean Tokyo-ish highways, brightly colored cars that vaguely represent Japanese sportscars in a much more fun way, excellent, sort of retro electronic music, and possibly some sort of rendered hottie in the intro.

That's it, really. Give us that amazing patented drifty gameplay, and we're golden.
Something like this is NOT going to stand out among the more polished efforts from EA and Criterion, and even worse, it will alienate longtime fans of the franchise, of which I am definitely one.

If they actually wanted to make money, they would craft a killer Ridge Racer Online, a game that would merge the classic RR vibe in terms of gameplay, cars and track designs, and music, along with good online code and record-keeping. Cheaper to develop, sold purely via XBLA or PSN, and you'd sell the game to a LOT of fans.

As such, because of Namco's lack of vision and their disconnect with what fans love about the series, we get turds like this. You'd have thought they would have learned their lesson with R: Racing Evolution.

Sad panda.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
They should have just made another PSP Ridge Racer, that was the last good one anyway.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
all hope is not lost guys, the 3ds one doesn't look amazing to me just yet but it looks like ridge racer at least, and if history repeats itself the new PSP system should have a new ridge racer to launch with it aswell.

Igniz v2

whinny little kid, why r teens so angry, needs sec
Man i'm just thinking now of when everyone said it was too much like burnout when they added boost in 6 lol..