Roger Ebert Dead at 70

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Guess I don't have to post the episode of The Critic, loved it when they were fighting each other in the airplane after watching Snowman. "Oh boy! Melting" When he hosted the show with Gene it was awesome, he was never able to capture the magic with other hosts. The new show that came out a few years ago on PBS was horrible, the new critics sucked and they only featured one review from him that they usually got a famous actor to voice over. It's great to go to the "At The Movies" site to watch some of the reviews. It's funny watching reviews of movies I considered classics being ripped apart from them. Sometimes they were dead wrong, but more often they were both right on the money.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I remember him really hating Rob Schneider.

Yeah, because he's terrible and his movies are terrible.

RIP, Roger. You will be missed. Thanks for all the great reviews and memories.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
RIP to a brilliant man who made millions (mostly) on critiquing other people's work.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Perception, eloquence and a little healthy cynicism really helped make his reviews worth hearing. I miss the days when you could hear "Siskel & Ebert" and know you were getting a review not based "on a scale from 'good' to 'excellent'".

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
RIP. So, video games can never be art, eh?

Lan Di

War Room Troll
I'll miss him. I have fond memories of seeing this episode of Siskel and Ebert trying out the Sega activator.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
RIP Mr. Ebert. I very much enjoyed reading your reviews.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Very sad indeed. Like most of you, I grew up on At The Movies. I was even so inspired that I went a did a silly thing: getting a college degree in film theory and criticism. Boy, was that useless.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

my favorite part is when they discuss whats wrong with the TMNT game part of the movie.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I read a really great article about Ebert today. The best part was when the writer said that Ebert and Siskel playing a major rle in the pop culturification of the movie critic made them more accessible.

Paraphrasing:

'Ebert found a way to make people think intelligently about entertainment, which is normally something they take for granted.'

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
RIP, great writer. His site was in my surfing list.

Looks like his last review was for Stephanie Meyer's "The Host"... :spock:
I forget where I saw it, but his last review is actually a yet-to-be published review of a Terence Malick film which makes a lot more (cosmic) sense.