roms < the real thing, for me it's proven now

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
Yesterday I bought me a new tv set, a 32 inch sony wega.

I live in Europe, so I was finally able to hook my ngh to a decent tv that supports RGB.

I can only say one thing, it's fucking awesome. I hooked up my xbox as well, played some neo roms, but the real thing is just so much better.. unbelievable. I think I can say that nothing beats a clear RGB picture on a nice TV set, it even looks better then a candy cab (in my opinion of course..)

But anyway my conclusion is, no matter how nice an xbox can be, having the real thing IS worth it..

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
Well, I would be open for suggestions :)

The HDTV's haven't really taken off here yet, so please share your experiences.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
I use S-vid for gaming and the s-vid out of the x box beats the s-vid output from my neo. The gritty quality from the neo does feel more old school and I like it. The big difference from playing romz on the box is in sound quality it shits all over the neo sound , its less flat.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Graphic output is moot when we are talking about the Neo-Geo. Sure, the xbox may have pretty filters, or the RGB on the Neo may be crystal clear, but when it comes down to the Neo experience it is more than just playing a game. For me just the idea of the gigantic cartridges, the little problems you have sometimes getting them in the slot right, sitting at the cab or grabbing a giant neo stick. The physical attributes of the system are lost when you can just pull up a menu and choose from 160 games.

Do I think the games are actually different in rom/cart form? Of course not, but the physical link with the machine is gone, and it just feels like neo on an xbox/pc. And I love emulation, it has let me explore so many games I never would have even heard of. And honestly, now that I don't have a lot of Neo friends in the area, I find myself just playing NRX instead of going through the trouble of setting up the cab, etc. Last night, however, I played the candy for the first time since October (heh, the database doesn't lie), and I loved every second of it... It is a different experience. The game is the same, but the experience is better,

-Nick

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I enjoy the roms all the same. All I need is a good stick. adjustable video filters kick ass.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
EvilWasabi said:
I enjoy the roms all the same. All I need is a good stick. adjustable video filters kick ass.

I second that. But I stick to my PC graphics card TV out :D

Pointless spend money on a bocks just for roms, IMO.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
EvilWasabi said:
All I need is a good stick. adjustable video filters kick ass.
I'm sure some tech dork could rig some sort of neo to ecks bawks controller adaptor thingy. I would pay some money to be able to use a neo stick with my romz.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
FatGuy said:
I'm sure some tech dork could rig some sort of neo to ecks bawks controller adaptor thingy. I would pay some money to be able to use a neo stick with my romz.

It doesn't already exists, at Lik-Sang? Or just that PS adapter?

I need to browse the old threads to see if kurtz had posted that USB adapter schematics... That can be used with the bocks, I think... the bocks controllers aren't just normal USB with a different connector?

Lovecraft0110

Ace Gho,
20 Year Member
Now for a series of FACTS, not opinions:

1. I have a modded XBOX, hooked up via SCART RGB to a 29" Panasonic Quintrix TV. Sound goes out through the AV cable to my Technics Stereo.

2. I have a low serial AES, hooked up via SCART RGB to a 29" Panasonic Quintrix TV. Sound goes out through the headphones out to my Technics Stereo.

3. I have a MVS setup composed of a custom supergun and a 2-slot MVS board, hooked up via SCART RGB to a 29" Panasonic Quintrix TV. Sound goes out through the headphones out to my Technics Stereo.

4. I have Samurai Shodown 4 in AES and MVS, as well as in the ROMZ.

5. Best video and audio quality of all the three setups with the same game: the AES, hands down.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
FatGuy said:
I've never seen one . I want a neo to ecks box adaptor , I dont want to use a ps2 controller.

I was talking about that neo to ps2 adapter, but well...

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
FatGuy said:
link plz , neo to ps2 and then a ps2 to ecks box that would be ghetto fabulous.

That was a ps2 to neo adapter, my bad :p

But they aren't avaliable anymore, anyway... :annoyed:

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
nruva said:
Graphic output is moot when we are talking about the Neo-Geo. Sure, the xbox may have pretty filters, or the RGB on the Neo may be crystal clear, but when it comes down to the Neo experience it is more than just playing a game. For me just the idea of the gigantic cartridges, the little problems you have sometimes getting them in the slot right, sitting at the cab or grabbing a giant neo stick. The physical attributes of the system are lost when you can just pull up a menu and choose from 160 games.

Do I think the games are actually different in rom/cart form? Of course not, but the physical link with the machine is gone, and it just feels like neo on an xbox/pc. And I love emulation, it has let me explore so many games I never would have even heard of. And honestly, now that I don't have a lot of Neo friends in the area, I find myself just playing NRX instead of going through the trouble of setting up the cab, etc. Last night, however, I played the candy for the first time since October (heh, the database doesn't lie), and I loved every second of it... It is a different experience. The game is the same, but the experience is better,

-Nick

What he said.

I picked up an AOF bare cart the other day for $5. I play it on my non-modded AES on my non-stereo 12" TV and the whole experience still manages to kick ass.