Saturn Japanese language game playability thread

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
Seeing as how it appears many of you share my love of the Sega Saturn lately, as shown by numerous threads, i thought it would be a good idea to start something like this. As we all know, the good US games are limited, and we all resort to importing the great games that didn't get ported here in the states. What I propose is the we post our thoughts and observations on japanese imports and their playability issues due to the language differences. And what I am looking for here is the lesser know stuff. Of course fighters and shooters are playable with minor or no difficulty, tell me about you experiences with others.

Last edited:

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
I guess I will start. Just got Fire Pro Wrestling 6 Man Scramble. This game is very heavy in Japanese text, but there is so much great gameplay here. The main problem is the menus and actually getting to start a match. I got the translation guide from gamefaqs and once you get the hang of things, this is by far the best wrestling game I have ever played. It is a little annoying reading from a 32 page printout, but after a while it comes nataurally and you fly right into things.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Lets all go make pro j-league soccer team 2

Management sim all in japanese featuring the Victory Goal engine. I get game over everytime after 3 matches for no apparent reason. Ive played it to this point 3 times............will probably never again, avoid it if you can.

msu89dawgs

Hardened Shock Trooper
I had a number of Saturn imports, mostly arcade ports, and the only one that was tough to navigate, due to the number of menus, was Magical Drop II. Obviously, the gameplay wasn't a problem, but I would have liked to know what the menu options were.

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
msu89dawgs said:
I had a number of Saturn imports, mostly arcade ports, and the only one that was tough to navigate, due to the number of menus, was Magical Drop II. Obviously, the gameplay wasn't a problem, but I would have liked to know what the menu options were.

I have always wondered about those, I, II, and III. All are fairly cheap from Ebay and other places.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
I wish that the import of Panzer Dragoon RPG had and English option because it's less than a quarter of the price of the US one.

Also Samurai Sprits Bushidohretsuden, Street Fighter 2 Movie, and Snatcher are pretty much unplayable with out a translation.

Dracula X, Dragon Ball Z Legends, Macross DYRL and Biohazard all have Japanese text but you can still find your way around.

Last edited:

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
How are the Japanese versions of House of the Dead and Panzer Dragoon Zwei, 2 of the US games on my want list currently. I wouldn't mind paying half price for the Japanese ones if they aren't too bad language wise.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
gmfuss said:
How are the Japanese versions of House of the Dead and Panzer Dragoon Zwei, 2 of the US games on my want list currently. I wouldn't mind paying half price for the Japanese ones if they aren't too bad language wise.

Both of those are playable.

P.S. Can't HOTD be change into English in the option menu. :spock:

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
neo_X7 said:
P.S. Can't HOTD be change into English in the option menu. :spock:

If this is true, I will be placing an order today, can anyone confirm this.

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
I am a huge WipeOut fan, so I bought the Japanese Saturn version of the game a while back. No surprise, but the game has no Japanese in it at all (as I recall); all menus and text is in English. Just wanted to toss my two cents in. :D

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
no offense

but I think there should be a "All about Saturn" thread, as unrelated has become the Saturn General forum

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
roke stAr said:
no offense

but I think there should be a "All about Saturn" thread, as unrelated has become the Saturn General forum

Or the XBOX rom forum, and to think when I joined this forum in 2001 they would have flamed your ass to hell for even mentioning such a topic.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
gmfuss said:
Thanks, too bad not too many others think so...

If you are still thinking of buying that import HOTD you shouldn’t have any problems playing it not knowing any Japanese. I think at most that it would have is Japanese subtitles when the Characters were talking in English during the cut scenes.

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
neo_X7 said:
If you are still thinking of buying that import HOTD you shouldn’t have any problems playing it not knowing any Japanese. I think at most that it would have is Japanese subtitles when the Characters were talking in English during the cut scenes.

yeah, I will most likely add that to my next order from Japan. I know it is a good game, but not great, and don't know if it is worth paying $40+ for the US version when the Japanese can be had for well under $20.

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
neo_X7 said:
Also Samurai Sprits Bushidohretsuden,..., and Snatcher are pretty much unplayable with out a translation.

How bad are these, SS RPG, Snatcher, and Policenaughts for that matter. Are these even worth playing

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
It's been more than a few years since I've played (and briefly at that) but Necronomicon Pinball is an English friendly title and a good game to boot (again, didn't play a lot but there are those who would rave*cough*lawerence*cough* given the chance. And he knows his pinball).