Saturn loading problems...

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
OK, I have a question for all you Saturn heads out there.

About 2 months ago I picked up a region modded US Saturn from a game shop in Manhattan. The owner was cool and hooked it up on the TV in the shop just to show me it worked and the mod worked. I took it home, not 20 minutes after leaving the store, and hooked it up at home. The first game I popped in was NHL 97, brand new sealed from the box. It would not load. I played around with getting dust out of the tray, wiping the disk, everything, but it didnt load. I tried the 3 other games I bought, US and Japanese, and they loaded up fine and played flawlessly. I went back to the NHL and it just started working and has loaded up fine since. I had no problems for weeks until I got a shitty schratched up Die Hard off Ebay which would of course not load at all, I kept getting the no disk error screen. a couple days later I picked up another Die Hard, disk only, from Ebay, and it too would not load. I played around with it much like the NHL disk and it just started working and has perfectly ever since. Literally about 30 games have gone through it since with no problems what so ever. Jump foreward to yesterday, I got a copy of In the Hunt from Ebay. I popped in the disk and it too had loading problems. The disk is flawless, but it would only load up to the developer intro screen, then it wont load any further. I played around with it and got it to load to the title, played a full game, then it wouldnt load back to the title screen.

So basically, what I am trying to ask is...Has anyone else had loading problems with their Saturns. I know it is getting old, but why does it work perfectly with some games and then be weird on others? Is it the system or is it the disk? Should I try cleaning the lense inside, or just get a good disk washer/game doctor type of thing?
Any suggestions?

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Do you *know* that it was the saturn you bought that was hooked up?

It's very common in the coinop community and second hand shops to "show" you it's working, but have a different machine hidden and running so you think it's your unit.

NGF did it a few years ago at CGE with their "protos" and a VCR.

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
VanillaThunder said:
Do you *know* that it was the saturn you bought that was hooked up?

It's very common in the coinop community and second hand shops to "show" you it's working, but have a different machine hidden and running so you think it's your unit.

NGF did it a few years ago at CGE with their "protos" and a VCR.

no, it was definately the same, and like I said, it works flawlessly 99% of the time, it is just those 3 games I have had problems with. That is why I am leaning towards the idea that the games have small, statigically placed scratches that I am not seeing. What fucks me up is that with the NHL and In the Hunt, the disks tryly look perfect....

slerch666

updyke,
The lens may be getting ready to give up. I seriously doubt a game with no real scratches would have that many problems.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Is it A switched mod or A switch-less mod?

vintage

Quiz Detective
region modded

I also have one of these region modded saturns 1997 version, some games play perfect and load no problems while others seem to work better when trying different ram carts, I've also been told that the cd-drive is probably going bad? Can you guys hook us up with someone who repairs saturns or a helpful suggestion, or maybe a jp saturn forsale without buying it from japan hehe?

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
Thing is, all the problem games are us and dont need a ram cart or anything, so i dont think it is that or the mod

hey maybe it's this, go have a look lad
maybe the nutter who chipped the saturn fucked it up real bad
have a look at the conections, make sure their clean
and this better just be the import mod, else I'll get mean

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I hear the Saturn version of In The Hunt has many load problems.
A friend bought 2 import ITH Saturn games off ebay a while back, and he told me that neither worked properly.
He said he tried to play it on his Saturn (unmodded US v1.0 via ST Key) and it would not work.
He later tried it on an import white Saturn (unmodded) and again, it would not work.
Tried it on mine eventually as well (unmodded US v2.0 via AR 4mb+), again no dice.
He then bought the US ITH and tried it on mine. This time, it actually worked after trying a few times.
However, I believe he mentioned that the same game would not work on his either all the time.

So, my guess is that the bugs in the domestic version of ITH Saturn + the issues with your modded Saturn have amplified the problem.

Don't think this will help much, but its good to know I suppose.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
In the hunt works perfectly on both my model 1, model 2 and modded Saturns

Never had a problem with them..

P.S. the kokopeli intro is fucking cool.. at least the music is.

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
VanillaThunder said:
In the hunt works perfectly on both my model 1, model 2 and modded Saturns

Never had a problem with them..

P.S. the kokopeli intro is fucking cool.. at least the music is.

the intro is all that loadedmost times, then the screen goes black. I must have heard it 170 times last night. God damn I hate that intro music

Last edited: