Scroll RAM problem

retro_mood

n00b
Hi to everyone,
I'm a newbie here but not in SNK world. As a retro console enthusiast, I'm watching and reading these forums for years. Actually, I have a problem with my driving NEO Hyper 64 system. I have the dedicated cabinet and my game works when I power it. After a while the game goes and nothing is on the screen. When I re-power it, I see Scroll RAM - NG on the initial test screen. What should be the problem? I'd really appreciate any thoughts. Thanks . . .

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I've had issues with the reliability of my Rev 1 fighting board that were due to using a poor quality power supply. I would start there. It may be time for a repair or replacement of your power supply.

retro_mood

n00b
Thanks for your suggestion. I've taken the board outside the cabinet for inspection and tried to find the location of scroll RAM. But the silcscreen on the pcb does not give enough information about the RAMs' duties. I'm just curious if it was a crack or a cold solder somewhere around the specific RAMs. When the motherboard gets hotter after a while of working, should it be that the problematic joint loses contact?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Thanks for your suggestion. I've taken the board outside the cabinet for inspection and tried to find the location of scroll RAM. But the silcscreen on the pcb does not give enough information about the RAMs' duties. I'm just curious if it was a crack or a cold solder somewhere around the specific RAMs. When the motherboard gets hotter after a while of working, should it be that the problematic joint loses contact?
Ive never seen a Hyper get so hot that you end up with board flex that cracks joints. Odds are more that yes...that ram is failing. Granted the fact it WORKS then doesnt could be a cold joint

Time to get the multimeter out and start checking continuity on all ram chips. Or you could just reflow them as a "well that fixes the potential problem" situation. If that doesnt do it then its time to find the bad ram