Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo? Which do you like better?

Jedite

Bunker Buster
I am a Genesis person. The Super Nintendo was a good system, but, I found myself playing the Genesis a bit more. Because, I liked the exclusives on the Sega more, than the SNES.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Everyone is going to try and bash one or the other, but the truth as to which is better is really in the eye of the beholder. I grew up playing the Genesis and I still enjoy it to this day.

The SNES is fun too, I just prefer the Genesis.

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy
SNES! never owned a genesis so im a little biased. i did have some experience with it when i was a kid but i still always preferred the SNES, still have my original console!

one memory i had was that my buddy had a genesis, and i remember playing MK1, and it had the infamous blood code and the better fatalities, so with that game at least it was better, the only gripe i had with it was the shitty graphics, the SNES was superior (closer to arcade) in that respect but lacked in other areas.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
I was genesis all the way. Never had a nintendo system until I got a gamecube. I loved playing all the sonic games. Thought they were alot more fun than mario.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Back in them days I had a Genesis but I always wanted a SNES because the graphics and sound was better(and it had SFII). But when I look back, I enjoyed the living shit out of my Genesis and I'm glad I had one instead of a SNES or else i'd have missed out on some hot games.

I love them both though.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Shinobi III is probably the best non neo 16 bit game ever, so...

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
in hindsight they are almost equal for me - with a slight edge to SNES.

back in the day I never fully appreciated MD - we got an MD and after about a year dumped it for a Snes & never looked back (until recently).

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Genesis b/c I was not into RPGs back then, sports games were more fun (multiplayer) in college (until Super Bomberman came along and changed all that).

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Why pick? They were both excellent.

When I was a kid, I preferred SNES, but also had a Genesis. I only ever had a few games for the Genny though. Around the time when I turned 16, Genesis really started to grow on me. So, as a child: SNES, as an older child: Genesis.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I liked them both equaly, but the TG-16 was still my fav of that era.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I tried to get into the Genesis by borrowing my buddy’s from time to time and catching up on titles but I loved the SNES more. Here are some of the SNES exclusive titles that were seriously kick ass (in my opinion, all of these are still worth owning today...):

Final Fantasy II and III
Secret of Mana/Chrono Trigger/Secret of Evermore
Super Metroid
Zelda LttP
Donkey Kong Country series
Super Castlevania IV
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
F-Zero
Axelay
Actraiser 1 and 2
Super Mario World/All-Stars/Kart
Super Punch Out
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Breath of Fire 1&2
Earthbound
Lufia 1&2
Mega Man titles
R-Type titles
A great port of Simcity
Starfox
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Contra III

Add to that superior ports of Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat II (not MK I…thanks Ninntendo!) and you have a seriously kick ass system. I know the Genesis has some great titles but up against the likes of Zelda LttP, Final Fantasy II&II (possibly two of the best RPG’s ever created), Super Mario RPG, Earthbound and Super Metroid…I don’t think that the Genesis had a chance overall.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156827

A pretty crazy thread that discussed the same thing. There are others too that go way back to 2004, but that was the most recent one.

Anyway, SNES for me all the way. I agree 100% with Loopz, who I'm sure will weigh in. The SNES had the most amazing library, PERIOD. Genesis had its fair share of hits, but the number of AAA titles on SNES is mind-boggling.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
SNES. Close the thread.

But seriously, they were both awesome. Getting just one or the other would be stupid. If you HAD to... then SNES.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
SNES. Close the thread.

But seriously, they were both awesome. Getting just one or the other would be stupid. If you HAD to... then SNES.

QFT.

Get both…90% of the great titles on both are dirt cheap. I have them both and love them…

Back in the day though…SNES to the bitter end.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
for RPG's, SNES...

for all else, Genny

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
The SNES for me. While the Genny has a ton of great games I had more fun with my SNES. The Gameboy Player, Link to the Past, every great 2D Mario game, it had it all.

I've been getting more out of it now that I've been getting import games from Otakon. It's nice being able to use my SNES to play Gundam Wing Endless Duel rather then my shitty Microsoft Sidewinder and ZSNES.

recon_zero

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I'm sure both are great consoles and have great games, but I grew with the SNES, and overall, it has better games in a wide range of genres.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Everyone prefers what they grew up with, and they both had some good exclusives. Objectively, for graphics and sound -- no contest: SNES. I also think SNES had the better overall library by a landslide, but feel free to disagree.

smuf

Vice's Love Slave
15 Year Member
I wanted a SNES but my parents bought me a Megadrive for Christmas. I cried so damned hard that night (was 6 at the time) and then I stopped and played Sonic 2.

I still prefer the Snes though, despite never owning one when it was in it's prime.

Phil ver0

n00b
Although I owned a SNES, Genesis had a little more advantage over SNES (the add-ons 32X and Sega CD). SNES for now until I get a 32X

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I had both growing up so its really hard to say. Both had great games and I still have both for that reason alone.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
What's the difference?

They both have great games on my xbox.