Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo? Which do you like better?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
kernow said:
people are forgetting the wacked out zooming and rotation effects never seen before

ZOMG! Mode-7 rotation!

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
It was all about fighers after 1991 but before that nobody cared for them, people simply wanted ports of their fave platformers and shmups.

Believe it or not guys but some people already were playing games before SF2... :eek: ;)

As a whole, nobody really cared. Arcades were dying, and nobody was really going to them to really care about ports before 91.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm with Takumaji.

It's silly to just dismiss everything before because from your point of view nobody cared. People played arcade games before Street Fighter 2, at least a lot more than people do now. To the people who were playing video games at the time, it mattered.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Whatever. Arcades were all but fucking dead before SF2 re-energized it. We're talking about the Genesis, which came out in what? 1989? I'm not dismissing anything, it's common knowledge that arcades were dead at the time. Trying to say that the Genesis did better arcade ports at a time when they were dying is a silly thing to try and credit it with. It doesn't matter.

I'm not saying the Genesis doesn't have great games, but the arcade ports really didn't matter.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Wes said:
Whatever. Arcades were all but fucking dead before SF2 re-energized it. We're talking about the Genesis, which came out in what? 1989? I'm not dismissing anything, it's common knowledge that arcades were dead at the time. Trying to say that the Genesis did better arcade ports at a time when they were dying is a silly thing to try and credit it with. It doesn't matter.

I'm not saying the Genesis doesn't have great games, but the arcade ports really didn't matter.

You know, I'd still take that dead scene over this one now. Arcades... I mean, do they even exist anymore? I was going to say they're dead, but they're a relic of an ancient society at this point.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Arcades are dead in the West but just go a few 1000 miles East or to South America and you will still find plenty of them.

Maybe SF2 had a big impact on the arcade-game scene as a whole but it definitely was not peoples' #1 game everywhere in the world. For example our arcades still had more shmups than fighters even after the release of SF2 and that did not change until 2000/2001 when the remaining few of them closed their doors forever or turned into multimedia or gambling houses. Sure, most gamers over here loved SF2 and still do but the hardcore fighting game scene never was very big in most parts of Europe except for strongholds in France and Italy.

To insinuate that SF2 was the end-all and be-all of arcade gaming (and home ports) is a very American point of view IMO. If you would make an official world-wide poll for the most influental games from the 1980s to the late 90s, fighters like SF2 would be in the top-10 but I doubt SF2 would end up first. Yeah, it gave (Western) arcades new life, that I can agree with, but this was a bonus for all core genres (shmups, platformers, fighters), not only SF2 or other games like it... and despite its greatness, it never managed to influence the home console or micro computer scenes except for a few crappy adaptions. Why? Because most gamers in the early 90s were playing their fave games at home on consoles, only a small fraction of them still went to arcades.

Maybe it also depends which games you grew up with. I started playing games casually in the late 70s when I was 8 or 9 years old and then got seriously addicted to them throughout the 80s so I already had a bit of vg experience when the 90s boom took place... that's not to say I was too old or too wise (haha) for 'dem new flashy games, it's just that I already had developed a certain taste in games that has not changed a lot ever since. SF2 added a whole new world to it but it did not lower my interest in other genres/games. Guess this was different for younger guys who were 14+ when SF2 was new.

No, I don't want to sound like an old fart now but I most probably do, eh... :emb: :)

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Well, I was living in Japan when SF2 came out so I'm wouldn't say I'm really speaking from a western point of view.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
recon_zero said:
Genny rpgs were good, but the SNES ones kicked the shit out of em. FF4, FF5, FF6, Zelda LttP, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Terranigma, Star Ocean, Against Fighting Force and Phantasy Star.

That's all in the eye of the beholder my friend. ;) Phantasy Star IV. 'Nuff said.

7 Year old Aaron would be yelling at 22 year old Aaron right now, if he knew that he was defending the much hated Genesis. :lolz:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Wes said:
Whatever. Arcades were all but fucking dead before SF2 re-energized it.
Compared to today, they weren't really dead at all.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Wes said:

Regardless of the fact that arcades were slowing dying off, as you say, the arcade ports were still great games. Just because a certain sect of the video game industry is dead, doesn't make those games or thier ports invalid.

It's like saying that every SNK AES game is no longer valid because the arcade scene is dead. The games are just as fun regardless of the fact that the arcades are dead.

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
Genesis Snow Bros > Arcade Snow Bros

Wardner isn't a better port but it's doggone close

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Sega was NEVER dead at arcades before and after SFII WW.

They much cared about the shooting and racing genre prior to fighting games instead.

When I was in Switzerland, at one of the biggest arcade, the most played games in 91 were incredibly Hard & Race Drivin's !!!! :eek:
and yes... they had SF2

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
For what it's worth, SNES RPGs were just better than Genesis. Hell, they're almost better than every system made, nevermind Sega's stuff.... but PS4 is one hell of an experience. Even today, it's super playable. Great game.

But, SNES just did RPGs better. Plain and simple. Thank you Square, before you got all sucky.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
For what it's worth, SNES RPGs were just better than Genesis. Hell, they're almost better than every system made, nevermind Sega's stuff.... but PS4 is one hell of an experience. Even today, it's super playable. Great game.

But, SNES just did RPGs better. Plain and simple. Thank you Square, before you got all sucky.

quoted for truth. maybe it's because I never play rpg's nowadays and nostalgia ofcourse, but SNES is where my best gaming days belong.

Last edited:

Jedite

Bunker Buster
Spike Spiegel said:

Yep, Square was at its best in the SNES days. Square was also good in the PS1 days, but, as soon as FFX come out, it all went downhill and the quality of the games went right out the window. FFX was a major disappointment in more ways than one. It was just a flash in the pan. Now, a lot of RPGs are just mediocre nowdays, because they've become mainstream, and are just rushed out to make a quick buck.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Jedite said:
Yep, Square was at its best in the SNES days. Square was also good in the PS1 days, but, as soon as FFX come out, it all went downhill and the quality of the games went right out the window. FFX was a major disappointment in more ways than one. It was just a flash in the pan. Now, a lot of RPGs are just mediocre nowdays, because they've become mainstream, and are just rushed out to make a quick buck.
It's too biased to say "the quality went right out the window" at some point. That's like what people say about the Simpsons now. People like to say stuff isn't as good as it used to be, but they're usually just venting. In my opinion, the recent stuff may be just as good, but at this point there are too many RPG's and past RPG's so it's not as special.