SFII a work of art?

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Why that version? Watch it suicide and make Capcom look like idiots lol.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Work of art? No at all, ask E.Honda if he likes that deformed limb on his portrait. However is Street Fighter II a superb revolutionizing game that created the template for a genre which spawned an array of clones through multiple generations, FUCK YES!

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Work of art? No at all, ask E.Honda if he likes that deformed limb on his portrait. However is Street Fighter II a superb revolutionizing game that created the template for a genre which spawned an array of clones through multiple generations, FUCK YES!

+1

There are better examples from Capcom out there when it comes to art.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Does hyper anniversary actually suicide?

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Work of art? I don't know. But I do know Ultra SFIV is the work of dicks.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I don't get it.

So are we talking the board itself (engineering) as the work of art, or the graphics?

Because, well... the graphics haven't aged well.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I don't get it.

So are we talking the board itself (engineering) as the work of art, or the graphics?

I dunno. I think the graphics are timeless.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I don't get it.

That's like saying Klimt or Giotto are garbage because they look old.

graphics still look good, even if they look a bit aged, it was an artistic triumph.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Wait, hang on! The game is timeless and deep down inside I know Street Fighter is the greatest series of fighting games of all time, even though there are so many great other series, there is! The point could be argued all day long. The thing is this, as amazing as the game is, I thing that the sprite work on the stages is flawless, I mean the renditions of these places on pixel art level is ridiculous, the sprites of the characters is also amazing, pixel art is very difficult to work with if you want detail, the artist is always hungry for more pixel count in order to make a more detailed sprite. So with that challenge in mind, yes SFII is a masterpiece and so are many games of that era and we're just talking graphically here.

The mechanics are still used to this day, enough said about that, simply amazing! Here's the big but, would you consider the gameplay art?

The real point is thin though, art can only be impartially judge from the source, and the concept art for some of the renditions wasn't as breathtaking as you would call, oh man that's ridiculous or anything. It's good, it does the job and it takes you there, but tons of video games can be catalogued in that same category. Work of art in the merit of the word as a sentiment, yes, but this is not exactly the same, I mean I think art, I think a painting, an opera, a play, something that's virtuoso like, something artistic like. In sense some of the partakers of the game are artist, of course, it's part of it, but not all of it. At less you want to call a person like Einstein an artist, am I wrong?

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Oh, this argument again.

Yes. The games as art thing is SO boring.

... are eSports real sports?

Who cares. Enjoy the games! Enjoy the art in the games. Any argument over whether it's real art or not seems like a waste of time. I don't understand the end game situation of video games being regonized as art. The art associated with the games (arcade panels, concept art, etc.) should be the stuff that goes into museums and such.

Edit - Ha ha. Even reading my post again twice I have no idea what I'm trying to say.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hold on, I didn't say I didn't like the graphics or they weren't good for their time... I guess I just don't get where they're coming from, because they're what? 25 years late?

There's also a shitton of other stuff to choose from from that period too, so why Street Fighter?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I don't get it.

I still think it looks amazing. The style of SF2 is just timeless.

I remember the first time i ever saw the game, it was Ken vs Dhalsim on Dhalsims stage, It just blew me away and the artistic aspect of it still amazes me.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Just because art is old or dated doesn't mean it's not good.

Art is about so much more than technical proficiency.

If fact, technical proficiency is the least important thing about art.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Just because art is old or dated doesn't mean it's not good.

Art is about so much more than technical proficiency.

If fact, technical proficiency is the least important thing about art.

I agree, my opinion is based on other art from that time period by Capcom. It is Street Fighter so I believe popularity of the series came into play as well besides the art itself. Plus is was a gift donation from Capcom as well.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Those 12 world warriors are iconic. You can argue art all day, but from that era, nothing is remembered even close to as much as SF2.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Those 12 world warriors are iconic. You can argue art all day, but from that era, nothing is remembered even close to as much as SF2.

Mortal Kombat, sorry but it is true when it comes to the US, not the World.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Mortal Kombat, sorry but it is true when it comes to the US, not the World.

Not even close. SF2 is remembered on a much larger scale, even in the US. Mortal Kombat has a legacy that's tied more to politics. If you were to go up to every person in the US and show them a picture of Ryu and show them a picture of Liu Kang and ask them to name them, honestly, who do you think would win?