Shenmue II

Garou[ryu]

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I was wondering how many people here are shenmue fans? I picked this up for xbox awhile back and started to play it (about 30 minutes into it) then decided i would try to find it for dreamcast. I ordered one from the uk (and a mint dreamcast arcade stick from the same seller) and they were both lost in the mail.It still pains me. I finally found a mint copy in the states that ive been playing recently.

why is the xbox version is trash? It is amazeing on the dreamcast! I just started disk 2 and i cant wait to see the end ~!~ i think shenmue(the first one) has one of my fav game endings of all time!

also i must note the cases for the dreamcast games are very nice for the uk versions
ive only seen the shenmue case's and i wish more video games had quality sturdy case's like these do.

I also recently read an article about shenmue 3 comeing to the next gen system/s
I hope it gets released for 360 instead of ps3 and im sad that yu suziki wont have involvment in the project.

any type of shenmue disscussion/feedback would be great in this thread :tickled:

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Garou[ryu] said:
I also recently read an article about shenmue 3 comeing to the next gen system/s
I hope it gets released for 360 instead of ps3 and im sad that yu suziki wont have involvment in the project.

Magic-Box posted that Yu Suzuki when asked said that there were no plans for a new Shenmue on any platform.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
The Xbox version is actually better than the Dreamcast version, with the exception of not being able to transfer your specific save (that didn't have everything) to the new adventure. So, technically you always start the Xbox version as if you made a transfer, with a bunch of stuff, just so that you can achieve 100% completion on the Xbox version.

This is one of those rare cases where the English VAs bettered the Japanese VAs, it's cool if you completely don't know Japanese and just want to hear it in a foreign language so you can ignore voice acting quality. However, the more you understand or know the difference between good voice acting and bad; the more the Japanese version drops in entertainment value (listening to it) over the English. They really were uninspired in the 2nd outing, which is a near total reversal in comparison to how it was in Shenmue 1.

The Dreamcast version of Shenmue II also suffered from the fact you can tell they really were pushing the Dreamcast past its limits, in the game. While there was nothing like it, at the time, the Dreamcast struggled quite a bit through most of the early and late game, to get a good framerate. The Xbox, with it's little graphical enhancements doesn't keep a constant high framerate, but it never slows down to anything worse than double the speed the Dreamcast did when playing through the same section. Even the arcade ports, suffered a bit, on the DC, of which you get them at full unadulterated speed with the Xbox release. Outrun really comes to mind, as that alone is practically worth the cheap $20 package, it goes for. I have a particular save file, at that point, with lots of money, so I can play Outrun whenever I want. It definitely betters the port of Outrun 1 that's on the Outrun 2 disk.

Also, with the Dreamcast version, you don't get as many goodies and shemue-related bonus material. In the Xbox version, that camera function is not trivial, but a pivotal method to gaining lots of cool Shenmue swag. You have a portfolio in which if you get pictures of all the subjects in a screen, you get an unlockable including actual Shenmue-related Comics. Other stuff, too. Which is sort of like those presents you get in Christmas Nights. The camera system is smart enough to scan the pictures you take and determine which subjects are in it so it can group the pictures by subject. Very cool way to leaf through all pictures related to a subject you're interested in. None of this is in the Dreamcast version, so if you want everything that is Shenmue, you need the Xbox version to get them.

I'm a huge Shenmue nut, so I'm pretty versed in the various versions of them and what contents and secrets they have. (Japanese,English) versions of Shenmue I, and the Japanese/European DC, and U.S. Xbox version of Shenmue II. No plans on getting rid of any of them.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I bought Shenmue II recently but I haven't played it because I want to get through the first again (haven't played it since 2000)

I just can't see myself playing the game on another system, slow down or no slow down (playing the arcade games are always seen as a bonus). I never cared for the US voice acting (Hey MIIIISTER!), so I'm surprised Kirk Foiden would say that the dubbed voices are a plus on the Xbox version.

I'll probably end up picking up the Xbox version down the road, but I'd rather give it a go on the DC first.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Actually, I was more surprised than anything to find out the overall Japanese voice acting to drop so much. Like I said, if you have no understanding of it and don't know the difference between using proper emotion with the words behind them in japanese, you'll just take it as a foreign language where all them words sound the same anyway. It makes it easy for you to sort of ignore the voice acting and simply guess it's good, given the translated text you're reading. But if you listen to enough japanese, you'll learn good from bad, and once you know, you just don't forget it. On the other hand, the english voice acting quality increased a bit, in Shenmue II. Especially with the store owners and dealers.

In English Shenmue I, people talked rather flat (with the exception of Goro (the fun "I wanna be a cool 50's tee-shirt punk" guy who hilariously fails at really being cool) he did his part pretty well). The townsfolk and store people sucked. In shenmue II, Ryo takes a slight turn for the better, while the townsfolk are tons better than Shenmue I's. They have emotion, and some of them really get into the business they deal. In Japanese, it's like they don't even care what they're selling. Sure, the face looks like it emotes that they are eager, but the japanese voices don't quite match. It just felt like they were brought in and didn't feel like acting. So the comparison is like a bunch of browns to a very Colorful. I'd take Colorful, anyday. A bustling Hong Kong is not boring, from what I remember. So easily Shenmue II's Japan VOs for general populace equals Shenmue I's English VOs. The english Shenmue II did a better representation of the seedy-side of a bustling Hong Kong, that the story was trying to portray.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I'll repost here when I've played both versions

. . .

it'll be a while . . .

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Meh... I recently bought Shenmue 1 for my DC and 2 for XBox thinking I'd go through each game in sequence to get the full experience. I couldn't get through more than an hour of one without getting bored out of my mind.

Maybe I'll start 2 up without investing any more time in 1. I heard there's a story synopsis that lets you know everything that's occured, so you don't really missing anything.

Garou[ryu]

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Kirk Foiden said:
The Xbox version is actually better than the Dreamcast version, with the exception of not being able to transfer your specific save (that didn't have everything) to the new adventure. So, technically you always start the Xbox version as if you made a transfer, with a bunch of stuff, just so that you can achieve 100% completion on the Xbox version.

This is one of those rare cases where the English VAs bettered the Japanese VAs, it's cool if you completely don't know Japanese and just want to hear it in a foreign language so you can ignore voice acting quality. However, the more you understand or know the difference between good voice acting and bad; the more the Japanese version drops in entertainment value (listening to it) over the English. They really were uninspired in the 2nd outing, which is a near total reversal in comparison to how it was in Shenmue 1.

The Dreamcast version of Shenmue II also suffered from the fact you can tell they really were pushing the Dreamcast past its limits, in the game. While there was nothing like it, at the time, the Dreamcast struggled quite a bit through most of the early and late game, to get a good framerate. The Xbox, with it's little graphical enhancements doesn't keep a constant high framerate, but it never slows down to anything worse than double the speed the Dreamcast did when playing through the same section. Even the arcade ports, suffered a bit, on the DC, of which you get them at full unadulterated speed with the Xbox release. Outrun really comes to mind, as that alone is practically worth the cheap $20 package, it goes for. I have a particular save file, at that point, with lots of money, so I can play Outrun whenever I want. It definitely betters the port of Outrun 1 that's on the Outrun 2 disk.

Also, with the Dreamcast version, you don't get as many goodies and shemue-related bonus material. In the Xbox version, that camera function is not trivial, but a pivotal method to gaining lots of cool Shenmue swag. You have a portfolio in which if you get pictures of all the subjects in a screen, you get an unlockable including actual Shenmue-related Comics. Other stuff, too. Which is sort of like those presents you get in Christmas Nights. The camera system is smart enough to scan the pictures you take and determine which subjects are in it so it can group the pictures by subject. Very cool way to leaf through all pictures related to a subject you're interested in. None of this is in the Dreamcast version, so if you want everything that is Shenmue, you need the Xbox version to get them.

I'm a huge Shenmue nut, so I'm pretty versed in the various versions of them and what contents and secrets they have. (Japanese,English) versions of Shenmue I, and the Japanese/European DC, and U.S. Xbox version of Shenmue II. No plans on getting rid of any of them.

I will disagree with you about the xbox version being better. The main reason i would say is that the dreamcast version has more life to it(the level of detail and the colors are richer It is just all around more vibrant to me). What extra do you start with on the xbox???? I only noticed the leaf and the mini figures were different and i think i started with better figures on the dc without continuing the save file.

about the voice acting.. the xbox version is bad...very bad.. they did a much better job on the first shenmue. I dont understand much on the dc version but i enjoy it much more than the english va on the xbox

I agree this game is pushing the limits of the dreamcast, just now I started a new game on each system and the xbox is bland the foutin for instance does not even capture my interest on the xbox but i stood in front of it checking it out on my dc for a good moment. It all just seems so bland on the xbox no textures to marvel at.
I played outrun once so far (because i am a qte addict hehehe) and i didnt notice any loss of framerate but i didnt get to far and i havent been a fan of outrun since i was 12.

the main thing i can point out is i bought my xbox for shenmue 2 so i could play it and i lost interest very quickly i played only to scarlet hills. since ive had it on dreamcast i have been playing it alot lately and any game that can take me away from xbox live has to be good.

I will be playing the xbox version after i beat it on dc though and i might have to send you a pm ;)

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
The Xbox version has a group of various filters, to see the visuals in it. There's a button just to switch camera filters. Including an extra color option, as well as one that actually uses a bit less vibrant gaming colors, in order to make it look more realistic. It's your choice as to how much color it looks to have, and actually there is a little more texture detail in the Xbox version, so there isn't anything lost.

Last edited:

Garou[ryu]

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Kirk Foiden said:
The Xbox version has a group of various filters, to see the visuals in it. There's a button just to switch camera filters. Including an extra color option, as well as one that actually uses a bit less vibrant gaming colors, in order to make it look more realistic. It's your choice as to how much color it looks to have, and actually there is a little more texture detail in the Xbox version, so there isn't anything lost.

the filters still dont convince me...just tried them out....the fountin is still greyish not blue like in the dc.

maybe the textures still there but its not sharp and not as noticable

Curt

apostate
I bought 2 different copies of the PAL DC Shenmue and both copies (or my DC) wouldn't let me get past the 3rd disc and the 4th disc was fucked. So I had the wait for the xbox version to come out. Man, it was worth the wait. That ending is such a killer. It makes you want to jump into Shenmue 3 the second the credits roll!

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Could be your video. Are you playing them through the same stuff? Considering I tend to play my Xbox through the TV and my Dreamcast through the VGA box. True, there's some sharpness in using the VGA box, but I'm more of a one that rather have performance. What makes it for me, is to see everything presented and have it running better than before.

And yes, the ending ruled as well as the funny "Non-Canon" side story secret you can find, in the game. This is probably one of the most built-up endings I've seen in which we are threatened to never see it to conclusion. Most evil to-be-continued ever.

Last edited:

Garou[ryu]

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Curt said:
I bought 2 different copies of the PAL DC Shenmue and both copies (or my DC) wouldn't let me get past the 3rd disc and the 4th disc was fucked. So I had the wait for the xbox version to come out. Man, it was worth the wait. That ending is such a killer. It makes you want to jump into Shenmue 3 the second the credits roll!

Now your makeing me paranoid.........

(cross's fingers)

edit: did you use a boot disk or was you dc modded?

Last edited:

Garou[ryu]

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Kirk Foiden said:
Could be your video. Are you playing them through the same stuff? Considering I tend to play my Xbox through the TV and my Dreamcast through the VGA box. True, there's some sharpness in using the VGA box, but I'm more of a one that rather have performance. What makes it for me, is to see everything presented and have it running better than before.

my xbox is hooked up through component cables and my dc is hooked up with s-video through a vga box

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Hmm. Maybe that S-video thing is what's doing it. My VGA is direct feed. Or perhaps you're not as used to the anti-aliasing the Xbox version uses. Either way, that's a personal preference kind of thing, and might change over time, when you want things to run more quickly on a second time through. Given the amount of times I've played Shenmue II, that could affect my preference a bit. Just note, this game has major Easter Eggs. You'll probably need a faq for them. There aren't a whole ton of them, but the amount you get from them is higher than you think. There's a nice little side-story if you follow a set of proceedures to get it. And the reason why it's so hidden is because technically, it's all not supposed to happen in the story. You'll see when you do that.

I'd recommend those followup sessions are the best time to use the Xbox version, since the bonus picture feature adds more unlockable secrets to that list.

I would recommend that you do it after you beat the game, the first time. You'll also find out why I recommend you do it not on your first go, when you do it. All versions of Shenmue II have these secrets, however certain things on the DC version, you have to use your Save file to do it. (Not for the side-story mind you) That's the only sucky thing about it too especially if you have a US save. You have to do a particular hack, on the save file and have the right devices to continue off of it.

Last edited:

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
PLEASE GOD let there be a Shenmue 3, also Kirk we need 2 chat about the shit you got so I can see if I can D/L or buy it

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
Yo does anyone have pics of Ryo's jacket, front and back as my friend telling me of someone who is selling a replica.

Alod both left and right sleeve

Last edited:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I don't have them handy. However, if you Google "Ryo Hazuki Pictures"
you'll get a link in which you'll get a ton of Ryo pictures. You'll probably find decent enough material in them, including the jacket.

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
The pic he sent has all the stuff apart from the US flag on his right sleeve, he tells me.

I will buy it and sent pics here

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
I am a huge fan of both Shenmue and Shenmue II. I can see why many people got turned off by the original Shenmue though. The game was rather slow and it didn't have much action like it promised to have. I enjoyed it because I just absorbed the wonderful atmosphere in the game and the originality of it all. The game had a certain charm to me that I can't explain. I have to admit a lot of me liking Shenmue is due to nostalgia and my interest in Japan also. If you like Shenmue II and have not played the original you should do so; just don't go into it expecting it to be as good as the second installment and you will not be dissapointed. Shenmue II is a huge improvement over the first in every way and as good as it gets. Shenmue II is my favorite game of all time on any system. Hands down, Shenmue II has the best atmosphere of any game that I have ever played and even rivals some movies. The action was non-stop as well, much more fast paced than the first. The game also provoked many emotions from me and had some really beautiful scenes. Just wait until you get to the final disk...It is a shame that a third title is not in the works like Suzuki had planned for originally.

Last edited:

Garou[ryu]

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Kirk Foiden said:
Hmm. Maybe that S-video thing is what's doing it. My VGA is direct feed. Or perhaps you're not as used to the anti-aliasing the Xbox version uses. Either way, that's a personal preference kind of thing, and might change over time, when you want things to run more quickly on a second time through. Given the amount of times I've played Shenmue II, that could affect my preference a bit. Just note, this game has major Easter Eggs. You'll probably need a faq for them. There aren't a whole ton of them, but the amount you get from them is higher than you think. There's a nice little side-story if you follow a set of proceedures to get it. And the reason why it's so hidden is because technically, it's all not supposed to happen in the story. You'll see when you do that.

I would recommend that you do it after you beat the game, the first time. You'll also find out why I recommend you do it not on your first go, when you do it. All versions of Shenmue II have these secrets, however certain things on the DC version, you have to use your Save file to do it. (Not for the side-story mind you) That's the only sucky thing about it too especially if you have a US save. You have to do a particular hack, on the save file and have the right devices to continue off of it.

The only diff in what you start with is the white leaf and the three dolphins and ducks.is there something im missing? I did pick up a euro version of shenmue i might complete it and then transfer my save file from that one.

for me it just feels weird playng shenmue on the xbox and seeing a xbox in the menu instead of a vmu. Also i am more comfortable with a dreamcast controller for shenmue it seems to respond and control better. like you said its a personal preference kinda thing. also when i do beat it do you reccomend any particular faq site. I go to shenmue dojo rarely. does gamefaqs have a good faq for shenmue 2?

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
A FAQ will spoil the game for you, trust me. I mad that mistake my first time through Shenmue II. After you beat the game once go through it again while looking at a FAQ and do all of the cool sidequests in the game. You shouldn't need a FAQ to simply beat the game but some of the extra's are near impossible for you to figure out on your own and are very secret. You have some cool suprises in store for you.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Both should be complete enough to tell you what you need to know. And as the person above me said, and in my earlier post, you should beat the game first, then play it again for all the secrets.

Last edited:

Garou[ryu]

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Neo Maikeru said:
I am a huge fan of both Shenmue and Shenmue II. I can see why many people got turned off by the original Shenmue though. The game was rather slow and it didn't have much action like it promised to have. I enjoyed it because I just absorbed the wonderful atmosphere in the game and the originality of it all. The game had a certain charm to me that I can't explain. I have to admit a lot of me liking Shenmue is due to nostalgia and my interest in Japan also. If you like Shenmue II and have not played the original you should do so; just don't go into it expecting it to be as good as the second installment and you will not be dissapointed. Shenmue II is a huge improvement over the first in every way and as good as it gets. Shenmue II is my favorite game of all time on any system. Hands down, Shenmue II has the best atmosphere of any game that I have ever played and even rivals some movies. The action was non-stop as well, much more fast paced than the first. The game also provoked many emotions from me and had some really beautiful scenes. Just wait until you get to the final disk...It is a shame that a third title is not in the works like Suzuki had planned for originally.

couldnt have said it better :buttrock:

allthough as kirk said the townspeople are much better in shenmue but shenmue was a much smaller town so it sorta makes sense.