Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits Bushido Retsuden- was it ever translated?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Got it running on MiSTer, but it crashes both on normal BIOS and UniBIOS. I played for about 10 mins as well, then started getting crashes. Trying to see if I can run it in a windows emulator but FBNeo and FBAlpha are not seeing it.

View attachment 69809
Worked fine for me today on MiSTer. Played about 45 minutes no issues

What speed are you running it at? Some of the faster options (beyond CDZ speeds) will force errors like this on the core. Not every game liked to support the faster access.

I ran mine at 2X

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Worked fine for me today on MiSTer. Played about 45 minutes no issues

What speed are you running it at? Some of the faster options (beyond CDZ speeds) will force errors like this on the core. Not every game liked to support the faster access.

I ran mine at 2X
Yeah, turns out SSRPG farts its face off beyond 2x loading. Seems to be working ok now. WIll hae to put it through its paces this weekend.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Yeah, turns out SSRPG farts its face off beyond 2x loading. Seems to be working ok now. WIll hae to put it through its paces this weekend.
I had a feeling when I saw the error. Certain games just do not want to run stable past 2x

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It loads really nice and fast on the NeoSD Loader (thank you Furrtek and Justin). I'm very happy with it; it's a huge QOL improvement since playing the game on a toploader in the 90's. I burned a real disc too just for testing. Hopefully that can be improved on the MIster.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
So, i managed to get a comment by the English translator of SS RPG in the article i linked earlier today. He said that he is open to the idea of helping anybody interested in porting his work to the PS1 and Saturn versions. The only thing remaining to be translated would be the bonus materials:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
So, i managed to get a comment by the English translator of SS RPG in the article i linked earlier today. He said that he is open to the idea of helping anybody interested in porting his work to the PS1 and Saturn versions. The only thing remaining to be translated would be the bonus materials:

Please stop talking about @Deuce like he's a stranger. Everyone here knows who he is. He is an old friend and member of the forum.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Though I don't blame Kilogrammer here for doing so, what's with the username? MoriyaMug???

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Wonder how long it takes till peeps realize this isn't Chrono Trigger just some fan service. :vik:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Wonder how long it takes till peeps realize this isn't Chrono Trigger just some fan service. :vik:
This isn't... WHAT???!!!

Over the years I've heard positive and negative things about it. Even if it's terrible, I just want to play it. 90s JRPGs were my jam on the SNES. I remember seeing an article in either EGM or Gamepro about it and I got so excited to play it eventually.

Sure, Id have had to get a NeoCD but that was kind of attainable at that time. Then it never came out in the US. Bummed out for sure.

I'm off work tomorrow so I'm hoping to put some time into it. I'm a little bummed that it won't load at 4x because of all the random encounters and whatnot, but hey - I'll be playing like I would have in the 90s.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I do love these elite hacking foremen you get

Like a project manager for people with actual talent

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
It seems that the English fan translation has been also covered by outlets like Polygon. This is now where i learned of the translator's name, Jeff Nussbaum

It's a miracle that this was completed finally.Like i said before i thought getting this translated was a curse since shit keep happening for anyone that try.I beat the saturn version in early 2000's using a walk-through and i thought the game was ok for a standard rpg.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
You're not wrong, but I'm in favor of seeing other fan service games like quiz kof, kof kyo, kof de paradise, etc get the english treatment. For a game company that was so generous to their Japanese fans, they sure ignored the US folks.

Who knows, fostering the US community more might have played out better for them longevity wise. Or not, SNK always had crappy luck.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You're not wrong, but I'm in favor of seeing other fan service games like quiz kof, kof kyo, kof de paradise, etc get the english treatment. For a game company that was so generous to their Japanese fans, they sure ignored the US folks.
I don't think that's fair. SNK was releasing English home carts up to the very end. SNK made a lot of poor business decisions, but translating the games you mentioned would've been more good money after bad. They should be able to release text-heavy games like that for the Japanese market without being expected to translate them. When did you ever see a quiz game in US arcades?

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I don't think that's fair. SNK was releasing English home carts up to the very end. SNK made a lot of poor business decisions, but translating the games you mentioned would've been more good money after bad. They should be able to release text-heavy games like that for the Japanese market without being expected to translate them. When did you ever see a quiz game in US arcades?
Well your quiz games point specifically I agree. But not translating games they were porting to the retail home market on Playstation and Saturn definitely is a lost opportunity.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Hoo boy talk about lots of random encounters lol. I remember playing the translated Tales of Phantasia on a raspberry pi and ended up using a cheat code to lessen the amount of random encounters because it was so distracting from the game. Seriously couldn't take 3 steps before hitting a rando.

SSRPG doesn't seem as bad as ToP was but still tho, I'm definitely enjoying using the fighting game moves for special/magic. I've only just gotten to Jubei on Mt Fuji.

Edit: also I chose Charlotte and Galford for my team. I mean, come on. Power Gradiation and using Poppy?

Kyoshiro can just hang out in that bar.

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
What is the viability of this running on AES/MVS at some point via a clever port? iirc there are some potential character library and audio issues.

What is the viability of this running on AES/MVS? iirc there are some potential character library issues.
I'm also highly interested in this. IIRC Crossed Swords II was also CD only and got ported to AES/MVS at some point.