Shitty Third Party Controllers

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I mostly have official controllers for my various consoles, but I occasionally bought the third party ones. Most of them work fine, but I did have one horrible experience with a couple of Sega Saturn pads I bought, clearanced, from Kmart. I don't remember what brand they were, but I was playing Saturn Doom (Ultimate Doom + Doom II, which is a horrible port, the frame rate is terrible and slow as hell, don't buy it, get the PS1 or PC versions instead!) with them both plugged in one day and the things spontaneously fried on me and somehow permanently messed up the color on my gaming television too. I'm no electrician, so I don't know what went wrong, but thankfully the Saturn itself was fine, and the television was just a cheap-o thrift store one anyway and easily replaced.

I actually prefer that third party Superpad 64 Plus controller for the N64, without the center "leg", 'cuz the official Nintendo one's design is a mess in my opinion, and were apparently created for our secret three-legged octopi overlords, not us humans.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
incorrect I present to you the turbo touch 360.

TurboTouch360-97884449221.jpeg

That for the XB360?

I never got why the 3rd party N64 controller designers decided to make the left and right "fins" really small. Uncomfortable as shit.

TeamShake

Kuroko's Training Dummy
That for the XB360?

I never got why the 3rd party N64 controller designers decided to make the left and right "fins" really small. Uncomfortable as shit.

That is for the Super Nintendo. There are NES and Genesis ones available also. Not sure about any other systems. I got one a long time ago with an SNES that I bought and it was pretty terrible.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I mostly have official controllers for my various consoles, but I occasionally bought the third party ones. Most of them work fine, but I did have one horrible experience with a couple of Sega Saturn pads I bought, clearanced, from Kmart. I don't remember what brand they were, but I was playing Saturn Doom (Ultimate Doom + Doom II, which is a horrible port, the frame rate is terrible and slow as hell, don't buy it, get the PS1 or PC versions instead!) with them both plugged in one day and the things spontaneously fried on me and somehow permanently messed up the color on my gaming television too. I'm no electrician, so I don't know what went wrong, but thankfully the Saturn itself was fine, and the television was just a cheap-o thrift store one anyway and easily replaced.

I actually prefer that third party Superpad 64 Plus controller for the N64, without the center "leg", 'cuz the official Nintendo one's design is a mess in my opinion, and were apparently created for our secret three-legged octopi overlords, not us humans.

I hear the Japanese version of Saturn Doom is much better, they fixed the framerate issues for the most part.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I hear the Japanese version of Saturn Doom is much better, they fixed the framerate issues for the most part.

True facts. If you're gonna play Doom on the Saturn, either play the JPN version, or just get the PS1 version instead. The US Saturn version hurts.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Controllers don't have to be 3rd party to suck. Many kids were ruined by this piece of shit.

NINTENDO_NES_MAX_Controller_by_eviln8.jpg

TeamShake

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I had one those, and holy shit did it suck. It would be ideal if it worked right for a Zangief corkskrew slam though :keke:

I had one of those, It was fucking awful. The NES Advantage tho was fucking awesome.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
In a sad twist. Madcatz now makes some of the most advanced HOTAS.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
@ki_atsushi/Danthor: Huh, I did not know that. I didn't even know that they released DOOM for the Saturn over in Japan. It's a real shame that the US version doesn't play better, considering that the Saturn FPS ports of Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D, Power Slave, Quake, etc. are all pretty good (especially the Lobotomy developed ones).

@NeoSneth: I've got one of those damn things too, and I could never play any game worth a damn with that crazy sliding directional pad. Total waste of money.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
Controllers don't have to be 3rd party to suck. Many kids were ruined by this piece of shit.

View attachment 23228

Derp. I loved the Max controller. :keke:

I had one those, and holy shit did it suck. It would be ideal if it worked right for a Zangief corkskrew slam though :keke:

I had one of those, It was fucking awful. The NES Advantage tho was fucking awesome.

To be fair, there was one game that thing rocked for and that was RC Pro-Am. That said, once we got the Advantage Joystick, there was no going back. :p

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
My poor mother bought me this off QVC...

$_35.JPG

There is still a dent in the wall from it.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
One of my official dualshock controller has a permanently tilted analog stick. I used it to auto-level in Tales of Destiny 2 by rubber banding it for hundreds of hours, and the calibration was ruined. XD

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I think the N64 can beat that:

original.jpg

Just look at that shit.

Damn I had 3 of those lol.

G64 Controller - I liked this controller
Sharkpad - Piece of SHIT
Makopad - Don't remember but looking at it is unsettling for some reason. Probably repressed memories.

Fucked up thing is I picked everyone of these controllers myself trying to save money. Oh the naive days of youth.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Damn I had 3 of those lol.

G64 Controller - I liked this controller
Sharkpad - Piece of SHIT
Makopad - Don't remember but looking at it is unsettling for some reason. Probably repressed memories.

Fucked up thing is I picked everyone of these controllers myself trying to save money. Oh the naive days of youth.

I had 2 superpads and damn were they pieces of shit.

Also, this one:
dpfrntsml.jpg

Piece of dogshit. Worst D-Pad ever, hands down.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Sad that it's possible that Dreamcast and N64 had worse controllers than than the stock pads, but boy did they ever. If I ever get an N64 again I'm getting a Hori Mini for sure... the ONLY good N64 controller imo.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
King of the 3rd party controllers:

2asciipads.jpg

incorrect I present to you the turbo touch 360.

TurboTouch360-97884449221.jpeg

My Ascii SNES Pad broke. The X and Y buttons just stopped working. With and without the turbo switches. Shame because I used the hell out of it and loved it. My favorite was using it for Jurassic Park 2 since you could take down everything in a few seconds.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I think the N64 can beat that:

original.jpg

Just look at that shit.

yeah, those superpads are pretty slick.
bitd, i got one for $4 since it was 3rd party, its great for the fps games.

though the hori pads are still tops for most games