Shitty Third Party Controllers

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
How many of you always got stuck with these growing up because you're parents wanted to save $5?

I swear, N64 had the shittiest of all the 3rd party garbage.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Never broke a controller, and the two systems we had as kids both came with two. I bought the Genesis myself and bought a first party controller. The only 2 third party controller I've ever owned (and still do) are the Program Pad on SNES, and the Hori SNES Gamecube controller; they are both awesome.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I thought I got a deal on some Nyko Wiimotes from a person on GAF. Turns out they didn't work worth shit.

I do however, have another controller from a company I've never heard of that's going strong.

Going forward, I'm only getting 1st party from now on.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
What I hated worse come the 32bit generation was 3rd party memory cards.

I dunno how many of those fuckers have just randomly deleted or corrupted save games.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I try to stick to Hori or first party controllers but I have had decent luck with Nyko Wii Remotes.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
How many of you always got stuck with these growing up because you're parents wanted to save $5?

This! I had so many shit n64 controllers. The only ones worth keeping were the originals. I still have my crusty gray box model with the loose ass stick. All the aftermarket ones crapped out and I didn't get to keep them.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

$5?

I remember the cost difference being a lot larger than that.

Never worth it, of course.

Only 3rd party stuff I ever bought worth a damn was the Hori gamecube controller styled after the SNES controller. I still have it. Those worth anything?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
$5?

I remember the cost difference being a lot larger than that.

Never worth it, of course.

Only 3rd party stuff I ever bought worth a damn was the Hori gamecube controller styled after the SNES controller. I still have it. Those worth anything?

Around $1,000 if you VGA it :buttrock:

I always had 1st party controllers. My friends had the crappy 3rd party ones growing up. Whenever I'd spend the night at their house I'd bring my own controller.

I was a controller snob :mr_t:

T.A.P.

15 Year Member
Around $1,000 if you VGA it :buttrock:

I always had 1st party controllers. My friends had the crappy 3rd party ones growing up. Whenever I'd spend the night at their house I'd bring my own controller.

I was a controller snob :mr_t:

My friend had 3 official N64 controllers and one shitty malformed 3rd party one. It was always a race to see who got the shit one whenever we did 4 player Goldeneye.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Worst piece of shit ever conceived? This bastard. The Dreamcast Astro Pad.

dc astropad.jpg

T.A.P.

15 Year Member
Worst piece of shit ever conceived? This bastard. The Dreamcast Astro Pad.

View attachment 23171

I think the N64 can beat that:

original.jpg

Just look at that shit.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Ugh those 'Superpad' 64's were the WORST! I had a 'golden' one. it broke quickly and was no fault of mine...

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
The only time I bought a third party controller was for the original xbox for obvious reason.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The controllers I buy besides the standard ones that come with the consoles are usually joysticks, like Capcom Fighter Power Stick for the SNES, which is still in good shape after almost 25 years of SNES gaming.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
King of the 3rd party controllers:

2asciipads.jpg

incorrect I present to you the turbo touch 360.

TurboTouch360-97884449221.jpeg

The Ascii Super pads were awesome. Wish I still had mine. Find an Astro pad and hold it for five seconds. You'll know how I feel lol. And yeah Turbo Touch ruined weeks of allowance for me as a kid.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
That original Xbox controller got bashed on so hard over the years. Personally, I loved the thing and got disappointed when they started making smaller ones. I wish the 360 & One had big controllers. :spock:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I think the N64 can beat that:

original.jpg

Just look at that shit.

The asymmetrical ones shaped like the "makopad" in that image are an upgrade from the stock controller in a lot of ways. Comfortable in actual human hands with more resilient sticks.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
King of the 3rd party controllers:

Idk man...those Hori 64 Mini controllers are pretty nice for most games IMO! Some are near unplayable with it (mischief makers for example), but those which aren't are so much easier.

T.A.P.

15 Year Member
I want to try one of those Hori Mini Pads for N64, but they're always $70+ on ebay. :(

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I do most of my gaming on a Rockcandy Xbox 360 pad I picked up at Walmart for $20. It's pretty great, I'm starting to like it more than the official pad. Yes the asciiPad is amazing too.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I use Gamestops generic wired 360 controller and it works surprisingly well.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
i love those N64 Makopad shaped controllers. they are amazing. i specifically tracked down like 3 of em.

TeamShake

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have a few N64 3rd party controllers that aren't bad, but only came out in Japan. Ascii Pad 64, Hudson Joycard 64, and the Hori Commander N64 all have a similar feel to the official controller (they all have the same exact stick AFAIK) with turbo switches. They should have released these in other regions also instead of the junk 3rd party ones that we got.

I generally try to use 1st party controllers unless they are made by one those 3 companies. Luckily I never had to use junk ones when I was kid.

Last edited: