Should NHL shut down?

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
IMO, NHL is over, trust me, not just this season, I believe the next few years no one in US will even care about hockey, franchises will have hard time recapturing fans and generate enough revenues to keep teams running. If MLB, one of the most popular sports here, took a few years and Sosa/McGuire HR chase to bring fans back, I have no idea how NHL can survive in the future. ESPN just realized with sub sports events, such as NCAA hoops, creats twice the viewship as hockey, do you think ESPN will be so enthused about airing NHL games as often like before?

Look at those crybabies, especially the players, 1 million not enough for a year? Hockey is a blue collar sports, very niche, players should have that expectations, it's a shame that what Wayne Gretzky did in the 80s and 90s that helped bring up hockey viewership, awareness, and popularity in US is about to be ruined, those guys are just digging their own graves.

Gary Bettman made a huge mistake 10 years ago by making concessions and saved the season, and so what? Now teams lose even more money and there's no end in sight, I say it's better to just shut down the league NOW to save time and breath for everyone, and recreate Canadain Pro Hockey league just like before.

The only people I feel bad for are the administrative staff of teams, employees around the arenas, and bar/restaurant owners near arenas that rely on jobs/income more dearly with this economy, shame on the NHLPA (more so) and Bettman for ruining their jobs.

naitram

The Old Man
For God sakes, just give them what they want. They play a lot of games, they don't stop after every play like in football, they definitely do a hell of a lot more than most baseball players do. Yet they sit there and watch players from the other 3 major professional sports allowed to rake in tens of millions a year.

People bitch about how it's hurting the economy of the cities that thrive on the NHL, and the team staffs, blah blah blah. If you're not going to pay the people that actually make the sport what it is, then too fucking bad for them. In my opinion, all those other people are just leeches anyway. I didn't hear anybody complaining when those damn Friends wanted $1,000,000 an episode. :rolleyes:

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
The NHL is not "over". The owners are waiting for enough time to pass so they can suit up minor league players and not get sued by the NHLPA for doing so. After about a year and a half without any regular season games being played the NHLPA will be in breech of contract and the owners can replace them without any legal reprisal.

Suit up the minor leaguers and call it game on!

I miss my hockey. :crying:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Michael Yagami said:
The NHL is not "over". The owners are waiting for enough time to pass so they can suit up minor league players and not get sued by the NHLPA for doing so. After about a year and a half without any regular season games being played the NHLPA will be in breech of contract and the owners can replace them without any legal reprisal.

Suit up the minor leaguers and call it game on!

I miss my hockey. :crying:
Don't you have an AHL team around you somewhere? ;)

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Lets Gekiga In said:
Don't you have an AHL team around you somewhere? ;)
I've tried watching the AHL, I've tried watching NCAA Hockey. Its just not the same.
I miss my NHL. :(

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Michael Yagami said:
I've tried watching the AHL, I've tried watching NCAA Hockey. Its just not the same.
Me too dude, but it looks like the new WHA will actually play games next season and has quite a few NHLers interested (Brett Hull, Chris Chelios, Martin St. Louis, etc.). :D

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
Michael Yagami said:

Same here. I miss watching my Rangers lose over and over, just missing the playoffs every year. AHL isnt cutting it, I grew up right down the road from the Hershey Bears and was a big fan, but I can't really bring myself to watch AHL games on TV, I need NHL. It will only get worse now that football is over and MLB spring training games dont start for months.

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
Man, i LOVE hockey.. i wish they would come to a deal, but i dont see it happening this season, and it will take a miracle to get it by next season.

But its done a great harm to the sport in general, at least in the US. In the Great White North, hockey will be forever, but americans are too stupid to realize what a perfect game it is.

Its quite depressing to live in a land where NO ONE is interested in hockey, most dont even know it exists, and the few that do dont care. Fucking japanese.

And in closing, Ice Hockey >> *.sport

thank you and Cheers.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
I too am a major hockey fan. I was introduced to the sport in ~94-95 with the Stars and grew to love the sport by 96-97 from which point I have become an addict. I used to attend upwards of 20 games a season (before tickets got out of hand in pricing) and make a concentrated effort to watch every Stars and Flyers game that airs, plus several other key match ups throughout the year and the entirety of the playoff run.
That said, I have a vested interest in seeing the NHL return, but in its full glory. If you think the AHL and college hockey is lacking then what good will it be to take players from those leagues and stick them on NHL ice where tickets will still likely cost an exorbatant amount? I can go to a very nearby AHL team here for about 1/4 of the cost of a Stars game if I want to see those guys play. Not to mention Vancuver and Montreal, I have read, have labor laws in place that wouldn't allow for replacement players.
I am not blinded by my interest in the sport however. I know we are going to lose some, if not several, of the key talents in the league after all of this. Bettman is pressing hard for a cap that many of the best players don't have to accept. If they saved any money at all they can gladly retire millionaires at this point and a few are likely to do so, but that is sports in general. No player stays in the game forever and for every player that leaves there is a growing amount of minor league and college players ready to take his place.
The flip side of this coin is that some positions are more important than others, ie goalies. It takes quite a bit of time to mold a solid NHL goal tender. If Kolzig, Khabibulin, Cujo, Brodeur, and Hasek (again) retire because they have enough cash there will be a void in net. Realistically, I think Brodeur and Nik would stay; Brodeur has records on the line and Khabibulin just got back to playing not too long ago after a protracted contract issue with Pheonix, but you must admit losing 3+ premier net minders would hurt the cause. Losing a prime goalie ends the chance at a cup run for a team in today's NHL.
Now, I am not a hard liner for either side in this debacle, rather I try to look at what we know objectively. I agree that being payed $5-9 mil a season to play a game is ludicris to the average working stiff who makes $30-40k a year with a college degree, but lets face it, the owners are the problem here. Look at it this way, you go to work for a company; said company offers you $40k a year for 3 years to do some lengthy temporary project, but at about year 2.5 they decide you are a valuable asset and want to keep you. On the other hand, you have gained some notoriety in the field with your work experience and are being offered higher salaries with competing offices for $70k a year. Your company steps up and offers you competitive wages for the market and extra job security, but doing so puts them under some financial strain. Who's fault is that if you take the contract?
That is what has happened in the NHL on a massive scale. Some owners can't compete with others' spending potential and that leads to the same few teams making the playoffs and heading into the cup game potentially. Now, I as stated above, I am a Stars fan. That said, I don't want them to make the finals every year for a decade because they outspend their competition (not likely to occur; this is just an example) because that makes the game boring to me. On the other hand, I know there is nothing worse than being the team that has no chance at all because you have 1 all star who only made it due to NHL mandate that each team must be represented pitted up against the Red Wings who are sporting half the all star west's line up. Then, to make matters even worse, you know at the end of the year, when the trade deadline looms, that one key player will end up getting sent to a top contender's 2nd or 3rd line so the team can free up funds to sign a new talent in the draft and get a couple warm bodies to fill the holes because otherwise he would just leave to free agency.
All these things in mind, yes, I think the NHL should shut down this year. Furthermore, I firmly believe in firing both Goodenow and Bettman (the latter has made SEVERAL piss poor choices that have hurt the game from trying to restrict fighting, which seems to have added intentional injuries, to his attempts to stop net minders from playing the puck behind the net.) then working a luxury tax based soft cap and restarting the game next year. This way the lesser teams can still compete and the high rollers can have an all star lineup if they want to fastlane themselves straight to a rebuilding year for spending $46 mil on salaries and an addition $15-20 mil in taxed penalties. I would hope that few teams would opt to chance the second choice, though I know at the onset some would simply because they are already over the cap so why not push to win a cup before you implode. With any luck that concensus would die off after a year or 2 and some more balanced teams might hit the ice. Well, except for the Rangers, who would likely spend $60 mil a season in player salaries and penalties only to not even make the playoffs. Some things in the NHL are now customary.
And, in closing, I feel it is important to mention two other things about Bettman's contract proposals.
1. His latest offering that mimicked the NHLPA's 24% salary roll back with luxury taxes implemented and the option of going into a hard cap if the league is in a rough position at the end of the agreement changed the terms in such a way that the owners could instantly cause the contract to be reverted to a hard cap just by spending as they already are. So, all that contract offer was is an easy out for Bettman who can instantly decide to have a hard cap as soon as the 3 most financially viable teams spend a set percentage more than the 3 most limited in funds. In effect, he can even find just 6 owners interested in a hard cap and they can make this happen on purpose.
2. To balance team salaries out Bettman has decided the NHL would be best served with a draft style player distribution method where teams who are over the hard cap must offer up enough players to drop them below the cap. The remaining teams would be able to pick these players up WHILE THE ORIGINAL TEAM PAYS THE MAJORITY OF THE SALARY. Yeah, tell me that isn't horse shit. At least giving teams a luxury tax would allow a franchise to put players on waivers and let whoever picked said player up pay the bill for doing so or let them keep the player and just pay some extra getting benefit of the player contributing to THEIR TEAM. I wish I could find the article I read on this point, but its lost to the internet at this point. If anyone can find something on this post it up.
As for the WHA, I wish them the best of luck. If the old regime of hockey players decide to go over I will surely give it a watch, but frankly it would have to be a very limited number of teams because the hockey talent pool is already struggling to fill the NHL with all the expansion teams of the last 6 years or so.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
The season is over with and no one really cares about hockey anymore. The NHL is done.

Sundance

Sho's Rival
I'd say its done at least for another year. The Refs def need to be replaced. I've enjoyed watching the CHL this year and also caught some of the College games. The Colorado Eagles have been kickn' ass. I could be just as happy(almost) w/ the CHL for the next year. Everything else has been said.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Phoenix is getting an ECHL team next year...WHO NEEDS THE COYOTES!!! :loco:

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
If the NHL does indeed get flushed, I hope there's a way the original six NHL teams can be reborn in whatever new league takes over. Be a shame if they all never played again.

As for new school teams like the 'Yotes, fuck 'em.

hateful_liar

Armored Scrum Object
Hockey is (was) the only sport I watched. It's the only one thats not incredibly boring.

No point to this post really, just really miss the Wings.

detroit_red_wings.gif

SuperGunGuru

Galford's Armourer
hateful_liar said:
Hockey is (was) the only sport I watched. It's the only one thats not incredibly boring.

No point to this post really, just really miss the Wings.

detroit_red_wings.gif
:crying: I miss the Wings too. Apparently Hatcher, Chelious and Draper are playing on a Detroit minor league team (I think it's the UHL or it was anyway). They played the Flint Generals (my "local" team) in Flint not too long ago although Hatcher was the only one of the three playing. The place was packed I heard.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Last I heard Hatcher was playing with that minor league team, Draper is going to play pending an insurance contract, and Chelios will play as well, but is concerned with his conditioning since he hasn't been keeping in NHL shape since the summer. All this was some time last week though so things may have changed by now.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Damm Chelios, why does he need to play in minor league and to take other players' job/playing time away, if I were playing minor leagues I'd be very pissed.

With exodus of most European players, and the remainders are mostly Canadian, pro hockey needs restructuring, I'd like to see Coyotes and Avalanche moving back to Winnipeg and Quebec, plus a few other teams in the south moving to other mid sized Canadian cities like Victoria, Hamilton, Halifax, maybe even 2nd teams for both greater Montreal and Toronto (ie: Laval, Mississauga) areas, plus the most financially sound franchises in US like Detroit, NY/NJ, Boston, Pittsburg.

A smaller, contracted hockey league, with salaries scaled down.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Chelios is playing in a minor league setting for the same reason many other players have gone to Europe, to stay in shape for the reinstatement of the NHL/WHA. He is like 40/41 and if he stops playing for any length of time I promise it will be a tremedous task for him to get back to his playing fitness level as compared to how quickly a 20 year old can bounce back. Furthermore, all those players who flew back to Europe will return the minute they can earn 10x more here again. Foresberg is an exception to that rule as he has stated publicly in the past his interest in playing for his father in his home country.
As for Colorado going ANYWHERE I don't forsee that happening any time soon. They are in a very good position with a large fan base and plenty of cash to spend on good players who get cut in order to drop payroll for a hard cap or luxury tax. Sakic, Foresberg, Salenne, Kariya, and likely Foote are out, but they have a nice start with Hejduk and Tanguay as forwards and their new net minder whose name I just can't come up with.
Pheonix, you're right, is in Trouble; they need to just turn around and fall into that 6 foot hole predug for them and spend their last few dollars hiring a guy to pour on the dirt. Claude Lemueix isn't playing any longer and has a long history of burying people; perhaps he can cut Wayne a deal on the funeral seeing as they are long term friends. By the way, Pittsburg is NOT a financially stable team. They have been shipping out skilled players faster than the Rangers can buy them up to make sure they can even make their payroll. Over the last few years they dropped Jagr, Morozov, Straka, Kovelev, a major d man I can't name off the top of my head, and of course Hedberg on top of having issues paying Lemuiex's salary. To attempt to place a band-aid over their sucking chest wound they signed Mark Recchi who is a good player, but can't carry an entire team.

Eric

Fight On!,
Asmoday said:
Foresberg is an exception to that rule as he has stated publicly in the past his interest in playing for his father in his home country.

Sweden better win a gold next time around then! :mad:

PS: I only care about hockey when I get to see the national teams.

PPS: Hockey died here in LA when Gretzky left. :(

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
I'm really not a sports fan but of the sports I would have to say Hockey and Baseball are the ones I have been most active in. I've played both profesionally (or maybe not... I guess I was a bit young) but that's besides the point. I'd much rather watch Hockey before I would watch a football game. I can't stand football too many damn fanatics around here. Basketball is just simply boring.

kernow said:
all american sports should give up
Agreed.

However, what's the 10-50 year old mainstream male crowd to do with themselves? I hate to say it, but getting into sports is still better than what other men could be doing. I say sports keep kids as well as adults out of trouble.

But I still think they make too damn much.