Should we give n00bs access to the Tech Forums?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I've been looking at this THREAD... for a while now...

While the vast majority of new users come for the their own reasons (market related..)...

Some of them just need some tech support... and seeing as we have some of the best techheads on the nets...

What do you feel about letting them have access to the Tech Forums?

It stops them spamming that thread... and maybe... just maybe... Some of them can eventually become useful Tech Heads and contributing members in the future...

xROTx

PS. Whatcha think lads?

EDIT: They will be able to make their own threads and edit posts ONLY in the tech forums... until full membership is earned...

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
could be a good step - but it might lead to noobs not using the search function first, hence more unnecessary threads.
it would be cooler if more "techheads" had a look in the "can't post new threads" topic or we had a stickied thread in the tech section where people could ask their (supposedly noob) questions first before opening a new one...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
could be a good step - but it might lead to noobs not using the search function first, hence more unnecessary threads.
it would be cooler if more "techheads" had a look in the "can't post new threads" topic or we had a stickied thread in the tech section where people could ask their (supposedly noob) questions first before opening a new one...

Would NOT work...

I cannot move that thread into Tech without giving them access anyway... ALSO... that thread was meant to be an info FAQ about posting limitations not a Pseudo-Tech thread...:p

xROTx

PS. The Tech guys do not usually go into general... they're a Tribal lot of fookers...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
It's worth a try I'd say, we could always switch it back if things don't work out as expected.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
There's no real access to the market from there....

Also Tech is insulated by its members... they usually look after their own..

I say... why not... I'll change it now and see what happens...

xROTx

PS. I'll keep an eye on the tech forums for about 6 months or so... and see if this will be a perma thing...

EDIT: This assumes I'll be around to do it of course:D

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I cannot move that thread into Tech without giving them access anyway... ALSO... that thread was meant to be an info FAQ about posting limitations not a Pseudo-Tech thread...:p
yeah, sure, I meant maybe we need a new/another thread for noob questions in the tech section...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
yeah, sure, I meant maybe we need a new/another thread for noob questions in the tech section...

Wouldn't work... I'd STILL need to give them permissions....

Let's see how it plays out... you can tell me if the Tech Forums goes to shit:D

xROTx

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's worth a try, we can always change it back so I don't see why not.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Noobs probably need the tech help more than anyone. Go for it.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Tech info being allowed for any user is useful. It's actually quite helpful when you're diagnosing an issue and do a google search for and a tech thread shows up. Allowing someone to view it as a new user is rather helpful and I don't really see much conversion bootleg tech going on here that would need to be kept under wraps. I don't see any downside to allowing it.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Give it a shot. As Tak said, if for some reason it doesn't work out, it can be changed back.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Leave it searchable publicly and they can use google.

I'm far less inclined for this as it's different than market leeching. Tech support is something we should be ok with giving out to folks, unless it's a project the person doesn't want out for "free-ish."

I have no issues with folks just using technical, it's a fantastic resource.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
There shouldn't be any restrictions on getting tech help from here.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It's a positive.

We're already at a point where we're struggling for content and new blood. Give it a go and see where it leads.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Its a great idea. Good thinking.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Quick update on this...

After a month the tech forums seem to be running OK... I spotted 3-5 n00bs who posted nowhere else but tech....

I know it's extra legwork for some of our regular tech-heads but thanks for the effort... it is appreciated...

xROTx

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Quick update on this...

After a month the tech forums seem to be running OK... I spotted 3-5 n00bs who posted nowhere else but tech....

I know it's extra legwork for some of our regular tech-heads but thanks for the effort... it is appreciated...

xROTx

Madman only posts in tech when nobody will play nice in the war room or respond to her in chat. :p

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Hopefully it will inspire them to become contributing members.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Hello...

I've just noticed a large spike in n00bs in Tech Support... just checking in on you tech guys... and wondering if it's not becoming an issue...

..in terms of work load...

xROTx

PS. Ive been slacking recently.... I really need to start taking more note of stuff:D