So is Neo Geo Cup 98 really just Super Sidekicks 5?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I 1CC’ed Neo Geo Cup 98 again a few years back for the ACA release, and I don’t recall using a drastically different strategy compared to The Next Glory/SS3 from back in the day. I always assumed NGC 98 just saw tweaks to the pacing and teams.

If there is an overall change in difficulty, I wonder if it is a result of the team adjustments/line-up changes in the teams you actually face compared to the team line-ups from SS3.

Old 1cc photo from one of my past posts:

index.php

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
There ye go, skill issue.

It never occured to me either that there's a difference between SS3 and NGC98, played both of them to hell and back and didn't notice a lot of differences. Yeah, 98 may be a bit easier in some parts (maybe that's the absence of cheating AI) but overall it's the same game for me.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Just load both in MAME right now with default softdips instead of trying to gaslight me you pricks :lolz:

I can 1cc Cup98 with Hong Kong easily, I'd be able to do that too on SS3 if it truly had no changes.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Gaslighting, heh

I think you take this a bit too seriously, Burning Fight, me man.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Just load both in MAME right now with default softdips instead of trying to gaslight me you pricks :lolz:

I can 1cc Cup98 with Hong Kong easily, I'd be able to do that too on SS3 if it truly had no changes.
Hey whats up Burning Fight, there are definitely changes to individual team stats and the line-ups they can face compared to The Next Glory/SS3. It’s the overall difficulty itself that feels unchanged. However, I’ll have to play as HK as well to see how drastic the lineup differences can be. Thanks man!

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
We got Super Sidekicks 4 in 1996, usually with its subtitle "Ultimate 11" front and center. It's almost SNK was getting embarrassed they made so many sequels.

I dunno, Neo Geo Cup 98 sure looks like a Super Sidekicks 5.
They made so many sequels because it could compete with the Playstation at the time, this right here was Fifa 1996. Soccer games were still too demanding to render all the players in 3d for EA and Konami early on