So Onlive is pretty great. And they're giving it away.

Curt

apostate
Too bad you don't actually own the game...and aren't guaranteed access to it past a certain year. I remember reading that many games are only guaranteed until 2013.

Thats really unfortunate but I think this is just legalese because the developers contracts are finite. Ie Starz recently leaving Netflix.

I expect most contracts will be extended and the games will be available indefinitely. Because it's not 2013 I think it's too early to have this issue be of any material significance.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I just tried logging into my beta account, and the site is busted. Infinite logon loop. So I tried making a new account and it still won't let me log in. I was going to try the demo and see how it plays on my connection..

Curt

apostate
I just tried logging into my beta account, and the site is busted. Infinite logon loop. So I tried making a new account and it still won't let me log in. I was going to try the demo and see how it plays on my connection..

Thats a shame! It could be your firewall.

I'm on it right now with no problem and haven't had any connection issues at all during my time on the service.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I guess it's out of the question for us landline users. XD

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Too bad you don't actually own the game...and aren't guaranteed access to it past a certain year. I remember reading that many games are only guaranteed until 2013.

This is my biggest problem with gaming in the cloud.

Followed very closely by occasonial ISP issues (maintenance, downtime, etc.) limiting availability.

And then fluctuating pricing structures for cloud gaming service plans.

I buy a game physically or purchase it from GOG/Steam/PSN/XBLA/Whatever, I pay a one time cost and I own it. Nobody can ever decide, 3 years from now, to charge me more for it or otherwise change the TOS.

evil son

Bead Banger

Same shit I was going through I'm going to try it again today when I get off work

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
This is my biggest problem with gaming in the cloud.

Followed very closely by occasonial ISP issues (maintenance, downtime, etc.) limiting availability.

And then fluctuating pricing structures for cloud gaming service plans.

I buy a game physically or purchase it from GOG/Steam/PSN/XBLA/Whatever, I pay a one time cost and I own it. Nobody can ever decide, 3 years from now, to charge me more for it or otherwise change the TOS.

Such a confused sense of ownership.

/sarcasm

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
People had the same hang ups with digital distribution years ago. "I want a physical copy in my hand"

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I don't need to own things... Sometimes it is nice for sentimental reasons, but after playing a game (and maybe sometimes I'll play it a few times) I'm likely never to touch it again. If I really, really have to play it 5 or 10 years later, it is almost certain there is a mean to do so through emulation that is usually easier than setting up old consoles and etc. The idea of having the item in hand, on the shelf, tucked away safe is really not that important to me anymore.