So... when is a sequel to a game a bad idea?

A sequel to Rez: is it a good idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
Before I go any further, I'd like to direct you all to this blog post from James Mielke, where he confirms his new job at Q Entertainment, and moving to Japan.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8998377&publicUserId=4549175

Now, one of the comments implies that he's working on a sequel or spiritual sequel (one of those two) to Rez, which got me thinking. Is a sequel to that game really necessary? Will it have the same impact the original had? Am I thinking about this too hard, or is this a case of doing a sequel for the sake of doing sequels?

Maybe it'll be good, don't get me wrong, but my gut reaction is, will this just ride on the coattails of the original Rez, or will it do something totally different and be original?

I'm just throwing this out, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Videogame journalists should not be making games.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
a few years ago I thought it would have been a bad move and completely unnecessary

now I realize it's not like Citizen Kane 2, and more fun can't possibly hurt, so why not

video game is a video game is a video game

ps milky's a douche

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
a few years ago I thought it would have been a bad move and completely unnecessary

now I realize it's not like Citizen Kane 2, and more fun can't possibly hurt, so why not

video game is a video game is a video game

ps milky's a douche
Yeah, you may have a point, but what if it turns out bad, with missed opportunity after missed opportunity? Wouldn't that make the whole venture worthless?

At this point, it could go either way, but the idea of a sequel to Rez is at this moment kinda like the sequel to Bioshock: I wonder if both are really necessary...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
yeah, had a feeling you'd bring up Bioshock.

i think gamers like you need to worry less about preserving a game's integrity; rez will still be a classic regardless of how the sequel turns out.

given the [she's still trapped inside...] ending of the original, it's not like a sequel to rez is all that bad either.

at the bare minimum I know we'll at least get some marvelous eyecandy from the power of this gen's consoles for a game like rez.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
the squeal should have the guy from cosmic smash as second player.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I don't understand how Mielke is a douche. He was a big part of GMR, which was the best gaming magazine available before it got canned. He also made EGM readable for the first time in years.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
A sequel to Rez could be good, if they fix the scoring system. Milking the bosses for points for 10 minutes isn't my idea of fun.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Heretic speaking

Why do people like Rez so much?

I'm a huge fan of the movie Tron, so I thought Rez would be awesome with it's similar art style. It has cool visuals, but the actual gameplay is just... boring and uninspired.

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
yeah, had a feeling you'd bring up Bioshock.

i think gamers like you need to worry less about preserving a game's integrity; rez will still be a classic regardless of how the sequel turns out.

given the [she's still trapped inside...] ending of the original, it's not like a sequel to rez is all that bad either.

at the bare minimum I know we'll at least get some marvelous eyecandy from the power of this gen's consoles for a game like rez.

I guess you have a good point there. At least it should still look like the acid trip fans should know and love by now.

And, uh, you didn't get the true ending to the original, did you?

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
I don't understand how Mielke is a douche. He was a big part of GMR, which was the best gaming magazine available before it got canned. He also made EGM readable for the first time in years.

The only thing I can really complain about over his tenure at Ziff-Davis is the questionable EGM cover stories he had a hand in. Splatterhouse? The Watchmen movie game? Seriously? That, and I totally disagree with his Soulcalibur IV review. It's okay, but not as good as SC1 or SC2. Otherwise, the Japan special he did for EGM makes up for all that.