So work got rid of all the full-time people in my department

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
The only people left now are me (a part-timer) and this other dude that started like month ago and is never on time.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Start looking for another job. Don't wait until they axe you.

Why did they get rid of everyone? Company performing poorly? New Management?
either way. time to dust off the resume.

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
I know this feeling all too well. Hurry up and try and find a new job before you're next!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Is your job consolidating departments? Has this occurred in other departments as well?

I can see why they would only have part-times as it saves them money, however that is sketchy. I wonder if your higher management has been tossing the idea around for a while, and if there were warning signs.

as other said, I'd update your resume and start looking to see what is available out there in case the ax comes down.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Any chance they did it to get around the Affordable Care Act?

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,

I would hang my hat on this more than anything right now. With the aca I think anyone under 30 hours is considered part time and does not have to be offered benefits iirc. Please correct me if wrong. What line of work are you in?

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,

This is actually why me and a bunch of other developers got laid off at the hospital I worked at. The changes brought about by ACA and Obamacare really fucked up healthcare in terms of revenue coming in and it forced a huge number of people in early retirement or just laid off all around this area.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
The good old affordable care act. Can't say I much care for it. I know at work it has had an effect on us. I'm in an odd position as I'm unrestricted part time and I think the only one so I get more than 30 hours. I've been scheduled for over 40 hours the last few weeks and the next few as well, while most other part timers got their hours cut. It's crazy.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Didn't you also post about all the businesses around town closing up? Man, you need to fucking move to a different town.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Wow. So now the two of you get to split a whole department worth of work!?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Why is America so fucked up when it comes to employment? Genuine question here.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Why is America so fucked up when it comes to employment? Genuine question here.

This is happening all around the globe. In Spain, employers blame 'job protecting laws' as one of the main causes of our long crisis, they want to fire people at will without having to pay them too much, and without any legal justification.

In fact, there has been some recent modifications that allow employers to fire people if their enterprise presents some level of losses.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
We had a new manager come in like 8 months ago. Most of the full-timers didn't get along too well with him.

Supposedly they're going to hire a few new full-timers and another part-timer in the near future, so we'll see what happens.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
We had a new manager come in like 8 months ago. Most of the full-timers didn't get along too well with him.

Supposedly they're going to hire a few new full-timers and another part-timer in the near future, so we'll see what happens.

If that's the case, it doesn't seem like he's creating an atmosphere that's going to be enticing for anyone. Sounds like he might be the problem, not the employees - and no one is going to want to work for him.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Sounds like it's due to the affordable healthcare act. If a business has 50 fulltime employees or 50 full time equivalents they gotta have 'affordable and adequete' health insurance for their employees or they pay a huge fine per month.

Thanks Obama.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There will be some bumps on the way, but nationwide healthcare is still more important. Wait till you are 60 and being downsized due to age. You'll be glad you have a healthcare system that wont drain your entire retirement like the old system.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
There will be some bumps on the way, but nationwide healthcare is still more important. Wait till you are 60 and being downsized due to age. You'll be glad you have a healthcare system that wont drain your entire retirement like the old system.

Nothing's changed. It's just that now purchasing an insurance policy is mandatory or you pay a tax. Now small businesses are required to provide you with insurance, this is fine for giant corporations that can take the hit, but most companies with 100 employees or less can't afford this and stay profitable. When you look at other countries with nationwide healthcare you start to see they have their own issues. They'll cover the doctor visits but not the prescription medicine. Unless you have a chronic illness or are having surgery every six months, you're still gonna be paying a hefty bill. Most of the health plans available on the marketplace are 'affordable' and if you can afford them, you probably already had a decent insurance policy to begin with if not paying more now. This act was nothing more than another tax to tack on to individuals and businesses. A lot of businesses we represent are unaware of having to provide insurance this year, expect a lot of backlash next tax season and most likely reforms to the bill as it only gets worse in following years.

I think the real problem is the cost of healthcare and that should be looked at. Why is the hospital charging $200 for an Advil?

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,

We had nationwide healthcare per se, now we have more of a socialized form of healthcare. And really it's not that affordable. I'm fortunate to work at a job that provides adequate cost/coverage for what we pay, but ours still relies heavily on you having a health savings account which I am very much for. I don't know if you are eligible for the subsidies but if you don't have access to govt help; those plans really aren't that affordable given what type of coverage you receive. Granted, all preventative medicine, procedures, etc are covered if you get really sick you are fucked. The plan a relative of mine could afford (which was the cheapest) ran 400 a month with a $4500 deductible. Even the architect of the aca John gruber (think that's his first name) stated that the act was never designed to be affordable but that was used as a selling point. The point was to try and get people covered despite the expense which iirc will add 2 trillion to the deficit over 10 years. Not to mention the pending physician shortages as doctors refuse to take on medicare/medicaid patients as the reimbursements are way lower due to the aca.
game over man game over