Sonic Generations

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member

Sonic Colors was supposed to be pretty good and this certainly looks better than 4 could ever hope to be.

evil son

Bead Banger
I saw those the other day.it looks good maybe the spiritual succesor to sonic cd? I mean with the story dealing with time travel and all

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
They don't get it. They'll never get it.

Yo Fish, c'mon here and tell everyone why Sega don't get it.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I'm excited. Since it's a Sonic game, I'll wait for the reviews, but I'm betting this will be one of the few 2011 games I buy.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
well I was gonna be really negative in here but those videos actually look pretty cool!

but this video raises a good point

EDIT:

ohhh I guess this is the one I meant to link lol

Last edited:

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
I got a feeling that this game is going to suck hard. The blurring when sonic boosts looks really bad, and the combo 1, 2, 3, whatever when the monster fish chases you is pointless. You also get this lame target indicator just to get to a rail to grind. It's already bad enough that you get these indicators to attack enemies with that homing attack. You also get a prompt button to press a button just to boost through enemies. It's like the game is spoon feeding you intentionally, and from past experiences of previous sonic games, you can't even turn it off. Recycled stages galore.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Sonic died in 2001. Stop raping his corpse.
They will never make another good sonic game again (the franchise wasn't that good in the first place btw.) and colors was mediocre at best.

Stuart989

The demo has hit both psn and xbl. You can only play as classic sonic. They should fix the input lag issues first and foremost. Jumping seems worse than the old games, and is way too short. Classic sonic moves fast, and the motion blur makes things worse. You can't see what is going on when he moves too fast, and the poor controls aren't helping things. Either slow down his speed or remove the lame motion blur altogether. The PSN demo has some audio glitches and frame rate problems compared to the xbl. Sega should look into that as well. Other than that, an average demo with some issues that sega should fix before the game comes out.

fake

15 Year Member
The demo has hit both psn and xbl. You can only play as classic sonic. They should fix the input lag issues first and foremost. Jumping seems worse than the old games, and is way too short. Classic sonic moves fast, and the motion blur makes things worse. You can't see what is going on when he moves too fast, and the poor controls aren't helping things. Either slow down his speed or remove the lame motion blur altogether. The PSN demo has some audio glitches and frame rate problems compared to the xbl. Sega should look into that as well. Other than that, an average demo with some issues that sega should fix before the game comes out.

I didn't notice any control issues on the XBLA version, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there. As far as the motion blur, I definitely agree. I think it could be due to a combination of special effects motion blur and the fact that there's so much going on in the background. If the background was a bit more 2D, I think it would be less difficult to handle.

Clessy

Banned
Those videos describe Sonic excatly. I mean it looks good, I want it to be good and, im excited. But Sonic 2006 looked good and Sonic unleashed looked good and so did Sonic 4. Those all blew. Sonic Colors was nice but the new new sonic games dont really have any gameplay. You run and press the button when it tells you to.

fake

15 Year Member
Those videos describe Sonic excatly. I mean it looks good, I want it to be good and, im excited. But Sonic 2006 looked good and Sonic unleashed looked good and so did Sonic 4. Those all blew. Sonic Colors was nice but the new new sonic games dont really have any gameplay. You run and press the button when it tells you to.

Sonic 4 didn't suck.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Repost from what I said @shmups, re: the 360 demo

Interesting. I really like this game

Frame rate issues aside (and I'm only 'asiding' them because they're something that usually is improved upon drastically between demo builds and launches),
I am loving it.

Replayed the level a few times; found different routes and interesting ways to connect them to one another; had fun experimenting to find the fastest combo of routes.
I enjoyed the way the level was split into, well, levels.
If I had to, I'd posit one of the troubles the design team ran into was rendering the absurdist/abstract level design of Sonic games into a 3D environment...especially because of their height and color palettes.
I'm guessing that's why Green Hill added an 'underground'. Aesthetically, it's graphical juxtaposition (in terms of color use and shape) is a break for the eyes in what would otherwise be an un-navigable green blur.
I also loved the feeling of acceleration Sonic (finally) regained.

You still lose control over Sonic quite a bit...
Springs, for instance, propel you on a specific movement path that only releases you into the physics of the world at the last second.
Also, during transitions between the 2D and 2.5D "Chase Cam" moments, Sonic sometimes forcefully snaps into the "Chase Cam" canned-animation path, regardless of his momentum/direction prior.
These kind of glitches really break the immersion for me and only draw my attention to the more "limited" aspects of modern Sonic design.

...Oh, also, by moving the Spin Dash to a single button, and not requiring you to be A) immobile B) pressing down on the controller, it feels like they set themselves up for glitch exploits by advanced players. I already, through accident alone, have almost mastered the ability to spin-dash during movement.
I wouldn't necessarily mind that addition to Sonic's repertoire, if I wasn't so sure it was a glitch.

Stuart989

I didn't notice any control issues on the XBLA version, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there. As far as the motion blur, I definitely agree. I think it could be due to a combination of special effects motion blur and the fact that there's so much going on in the background. If the background was a bit more 2D, I think it would be less difficult to handle.

There is lag when you jump. PS3 version has this issue, and it is very apparent. 360 doesn't have this issue from what I saw.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
The level list and boss fights have been 'confirmed' via information collected from demo code...
There isn't a single Sonic CD level represented.
Since I first heard about this game, I've been smiling like a child, anticipating an HD remake of any level/music from Sonic CD.
Now I'm very, very sad

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
It's like they can't stand that STI made a good Sonic game. I'm so glad I finally found the Game Cube collection with CD and Sonic The Fighters on it for a good price. What I REALLY want is for them to get the original music tracks that Michael Jackson did for Sonic 3 and have them in the game. I know if they end up having Sonic 3 stages they won't use the real music. So for that I'll say, Boo-Urns.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Yeah....in the genesis version sonic would always slide back off an incline that was 45 degrees or steeper. Not sure what the big deal is either.

I'm gonna give this one a chance.
They kept their chin up after the fuckup that was Sonic 4 and they are staying the course.

No "exploration", no furfags, no side gimmicks or scavenger hunts, pretty good focus on gameplay, no episodic DLC BS,

and inclusion of classic sonic = sincere attempt to please the old school fans.

Barring a total fuckup, I'll probably get it.

brad_irc

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I hope they make some attempt at selectable difficulty settings.... Not every game should be made for 12 year olds...

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member

No words.

DSC01742.jpg

Just spin dash or jump up it for fucks sake, what an angernerd video.