Square Enix to File For Bankruptcy? Earnings Down 91%, Final Fantasy XIV to Blame

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
TOTALLY random and personal question, but I'm too lazy to dig up the fitness thread.

I was asking what your max benchpress is and/or the weight you lift with dumb bells. Forget I asked.

No no, don't be silly. My last max was 305, but I doubt I could do that at the moment. If I had to guess... 285, maybe? Flies at incline are tough on my aging shoulders, but I'd do about 35 to 40s at incline (as it uses a smaller part of the pec).

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I really didn't think it warranted an apology. First off, apologies here are pretty rare to begin with and I think most of us have thick enough skin to let molten lava roll off, much less anything I could ever think to say to anyone.

And secondly what was I supposed to apologize for, making myself look like an idiot?

You're right... I'm sorry. :tickled:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I thought I was making progress after I started lifting more than my bodyweight....

But my buddy then tells me of this jackass womanizer I indirectly know who's lifting 3 plates and a 10, but he's eating barrels of that protein shake shit like its going out of style.

AFAIK, Spike doesn't touch the stuff...he was mostly about diet and discipline and I'm curious as to how far that got him.

EDIT: Presses, not flies...but I'm guessing it's more than 120 if you're benching 260+

Ratson is 130lbs and Dark Andy is 115lbs...my goal is to be able to 2 reps of Ratson and 4 reps of Dark Andy....as gay as that sounds.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I like to think of working out as an RPG and when I'm able to bench more I've leveled up.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
fitness is way more interesting than Final Fantasy

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Now, as back when it was relevant, Final Fantasy has always been the enemy of physical fitness. They are diametric opposites and yet inextricable from one another due to their clashing nature. They are the yin and yang of each other, and in this they represent the ideal duality.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Now, as back when it was relevant, Final Fantasy has always been the enemy of physical fitness. They are diametric opposites and yet inextricable from one another due to their clashing nature. They are the yin and yang of each other, and in this they represent the ideal duality.

i used to do pull-ups while i was LFG

~balance~

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
i used to do pull-ups while i was LFG

~balance~

When you can do pullups while actually playing and not skip a beat in your party role, you will have achieved spiritual and physical harmony.

Bruce Lee could have done it. But he's dead.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I've only played Final Fantasy 3 and 7.

What did I miss?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
actually, now that I think about it, I never beat Final Fantasy 7. I think I stopped playing after
Spoiler:
Aeris died.
That was the day my childhood ended.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
actually, now that I think about it, I never beat Final Fantasy 7. I think I stopped playing after
Spoiler:
Aeris died.

She was brought back to life 5 minutes later. You missed out.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Spoiler:
Aeris died.

I never understoond the emotional attachment so many people have apparently felt with Aeris. She didn't offer much aside from a token love triangle interest and wanting to get into Cloud's pants. Then again, I didn't really care for the characters in the game in general. (Kanye shrug)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Spike, I've always considered working out as a real life RPG. we're both fags.

I've only played Final Fantasy 3 and 7.

What did I miss?

Not much. IV is puerile by today's standards and for anyone over the age of 14. The music really is an iconic score, though. Most people hold it dear in their hearts because it may have been one of their first RPGs and blablahblah.

Just play Lunar: SSSC.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Not much. IV is puerile by today's standards and for anyone over the age of 14. The music really is an iconic score, though. Most people hold it dear in their hearts because it may have been one of their first RPGs and blablahblah.

Lunar is garbage compared to FFIV. Get the fuck out of here.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member

icon14.gif

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

lol, and you were calling me a doof? Pfft.

FFIV is the fucking best.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member

I never saw the ending of SSSC. After the final 30 minute battle I got killed by lightning as I was walking up the steps at the end of the game (out of combat). I turned it off and put it on the shelf.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member

Seriously. FFIV has the most interesting mix of characters and backstories of any RPG. The soundtrack has aged like a fine wine, and the character development of Cecil and Kain (or even Edward) exceeds the rest of Lunar's cast by a country mile.

I really wanted to like Lunar but its frat-house translation and insomnia-inducing score made it impossible. It's pretty 3rd-tier stuff aside from all the extra bullcrap (aka "premiums") included to bump its price up.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Lunar had fantastic novelty at the time of its releases on Saturn and Playstation because of its strong anime flavor and soundtrack but its gameplay and presentation are average. Cool for its time, it hasn't aged well and its weaknesses hamper the experience. And that Working Designs translation is godawful.

Final Fantasy IV, despite predating Lunar by five years, never feels old or played out. Overall, it's probably the best game in the entire series.

So, um, count me in with the 'FF IV > Lunar' camp. By a mile.