stand-up comedians/specials you enjoy. (suggestions thread?)

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
gotta be honest, haven't seen a whole hell of alot.
or moreso, i can't immediatly think of a whole lot that i do really think are funny.

though i do enjoy david cross, louie c.k., katt williams, russell peters.

mostly i'm just looking for suggestions.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
my personal favorite louie CK special is "shameless", didn't like his recent one "chewed up" quite as much.. though obviously louie is the man and that shit was still hilarious.

I recently watched the bill burr specials "why do I do this" and "let it go" and enjoyed both quite a bit, actually got the idea to find them from this forum.

Joe rogan has a pretty good special I got off netflix too, I think it was called joe rogan live. I didn't really expect to dig this one but its pretty good, check it out if you have netflix, if you don't have netflix... fucking get it man, best 8 bucks I've spent in a while.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Daniel Tosh- Completely Serious. It has a fairly different style to it than his show does, it's a little weirder, but it's pretty damn funny.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Sinbad's comeback on comedy central a few months ago was most excellent. Dude actually had me laughing.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Jim Gaffigan - King Baby and Beyond the Pale. Love both of these specials, they are the newest of his specials and definitely the best. Lots of food related comedy but somehow, even with that the way he hits on it is fucking hilarious.

Greg Giraldo - Midlife Vices. It's too bad he's gone, this special is great. At one point, he finds a guy in the crowd has fallen asleep, no way you can plan for that and he just runs with that for like 5 minutes.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I love comedy but I've never really gotten into stand-up stuff. I do love Brian Posehn's Nerd Rage though. Also, I hear Ben Baily of The Cash Cab has great stand-up.

I forget who's act it is, but one of my favorite jokes is from this Italian guy. He picks out a girl from the audience and he's like "Hey baby I'll take you wherever you want. Where do you want to go? Anywhere." And she says France. He goes "France?! I'm talking locally like Sbarro's or something!"

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Anything Patton Oswalt, Louis CK, George Carlin, the Dave Chappelle Def Comedy Jam Set from, like, 10 years ago, Eddie Murphy Delerious, yup, David Cross.

Shit, Skotgun, we like the same stuff.

The only time I really liked Russell Peters was on his breakthrough CTV comedy special from 2004 or something. That was epic and ever since he's failed to live up to it...I did see him live - had to scam those tickets:mr_t:

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
Some British stuff for you to check out is Lee Evan's, about the only comedian I can really put up with all through his shows. I find you've really gotta get into it and he really makes you live through his jokes, explains stuff so well and down to earth stuff.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Denis Leary's "No Cure For Cancer" always cheers me up when I'm in a shitty mood. I've seen it a million times and it still makes me laugh to this day. His Christmas special that air on Comedy Central every year is pretty funny too.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
How about some Maria Bamford, Doug Benson, Chris Hardwick, and of course the legendary Bill Hicks.

P.S. Joe Rogan sucks. And if anyone says Dane Cook or Carlos Mencia, I'm going to pretend I don't know you forever.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I was going to come in here and say Louis CK, now close the thread. However, there's a few good names being thrown around in here, too. Jim Gaffigan IS really funny, and so was Giraldo.

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Mitch Hedberg was a very funny man. Also, Jim Florentine puts on a great live show and the Meet the Creeps Dvds and Terrorizing Telemarketers cds are very funny.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Mitch Hedberg was a very funny man. Also, Jim Florentine puts on a great live show and the Meet the Creeps Dvds and Terrorizing Telemarketers cds are very funny.

Quoted for truth! Mitch Hedberg was the fucking man! I miss his comedy!

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Kinda surprised nobody has said Bill Cosby's Himself. One of the first specials I watched as a kid and I love it more today. Tosh's special was great and almost anything George Carlin has done is worth the watching. Wish I had the coin for that huge box set that came out a few months ago. I also loved (Loved being the key word) the old 80's Gallagher specials, even got to see him twice (and he pretty much did the same act, twice) but it sucks he turned into a right wing nut job and all he does now is spew hate.

And you can't forget Rodney. I'm so glad I got to see his last show at the Westberry Music Fair. He was amazing. Joke after joke. He had the whole audience rolling. The worst part about Rodney and it's something that Jim Carry mentioned in the tribute, you'll be laughing so hard at a joke and then he'll say another that you'll miss. My favorite one was how people just kept saying "woah!" because he just kept going and he answered back, "Hey! I know a lotta fuckin' jokes, hah!?"

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I cant believe that I forgot to mention Richard Pryor. That guy was a master at weaving stories into jokes.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,

Can't go wrong with Arnez J. Mutha fucker is still funny to this day!

My brother introduced me to Kevin Hart last week and I dig him!

Can't go wrong with old school Eddie Murphy.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
I cant believe that I forgot to mention Richard Pryor. That guy was a master at weaving stories into jokes.

I thought no one mentioned him, because he would be the obvious choice, but a really good Irish comic is Dara Ó Briain

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Richard Pryor... Not quite sure of the title.

Phyeir

Forgot a couple sitting on the ol' DVR... Steve Byrne's two specials The Byrne Identity and Happy Hour are both great. I watch one of them at least once a month. He has a joke equating mac & cheese to the sound of going down on a girl, love that bit.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Some British stuff for you to check out is Lee Evan's, about the only comedian I can really put up with all through his shows.

I suppose you could also lump John Oliver as another good British comic, but then I remembered he's a US citizen now.

Still hella funny though.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Louis CK, Patton Oswalt, Dave Chappelle (Earlier stuff) and Brian Regan.

Brian Regan is one of the funniest and cleanest comedians that just talks about everyday stuff.

Phyeir

Louis CK, Patton Oswalt, Dave Chappelle (Earlier stuff) and Brian Regan.

Brian Regan is one of the funniest and cleanest comedians that just talks about everyday stuff.

Brian Regan is strange to me. The way he does his whole stand-up routine it's like those really cheesy stand up comics from the 80's that you saw talking about mundane stuff that you would see and go meh but somehow the way he delivers it, it really works for him. Big fan of him too, I feel like him & Jim Gaffigan need to go on tour together.

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
Only one that hasnt been mentioned is The Amazing Jonathan hes hilarious.. actually seen him live in vegas once and Vinnie Paul from pantera was there lol