Steam Deck Portable PC Games Hardware

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
I just ordered my Steam Deck and am waiting for it to arrive.

Has anyone messed with portable monitors? My main purpose is to use this at a weekly fighting game meet up.
Any news on if your steamdeck has arrived on when you will be receiving it?

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Any news on if your steamdeck has arrived on when you will be receiving it?
Yes!!!! I've got my Deck and absolutely love it.

I've been playing the FF Pixel Remakes and FF 15 the most. I bought a portable screen so i can play it as a laptop too.

My only disappointment is that Guilty Gear Strive doesn't run well on it. Melty Blood Type Lumina runs flawlessly so that's been my go to deck fighting game.

I'm really happy with the system. I can't believe how many games run on it and all of the options for locking at 30 frames and stuff is cool.

I'm also playing Dead Cells, Cult of the Lamb (kinda getting bored after 6 hours), Persona 5 which runs real well at 60 frames, and a few other games.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I like the thing, but most games classic or new have weird hiccups. Playing around with different proton builds helps sometimes, but its still not without it’s issues. Pretty much every game i have played on it other than vampire survivors has needed a work around, a quick google for settings, or a different proton build to make play semi decently.
Case and point, currently playing shovel night. Completely freeze stutters like 2 seconds of frames every 30 seconds or so, no idea why. The new monkey island? Reload the game 2 or 3 times to get the image to actually display and not just the sound. Shadow warrior 2012? Random lock ups. Borderlands original? Random lock ups. Borderlands 3? Tweek every setting exactly as written on reddit or bog the framerate so low the game crashes.
So like yeah, i like it fine… but its aight.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
These days there is essentially only PC gaming and mobile gaming. Sony and Microsoft sell ~2019 PCs, and Nintendo sells an even older tablet.
Yup!. Bit derailing but I would like to see what Nintendo's next Console is.

But anyway back on topic, love the steam deck has completely rejuvenated my gaming and replaced my console plays, I have pretty much replaced everything with steam games.

I mean portable resident 2,3,8 and dead space how can you not love it.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
But anyway back on topic, love the steam deck has completely rejuvenated my gaming and replaced my console plays, I have pretty much replaced everything with steam games.
Same. I had a three-headed monster of arcade, PC, and Switch (portable), and now I've essentially chopped a head off. The only stuff I played on Switch this year was 8-bit stuff. When I can buy everything down to freaking Lynx games on Steam with a huge number playable on the Deck, there is little reason to own a traditional console.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
I just spent some time with Dwarf Fortress playing it with a keyboard/mouse and portable on the track pads in bed. Overall it's a really amazing experience. I love how the deck just gives you all the options and you can set your 3D graphics games on high and use it as a hair dryer.

I think my favorite experience so far has been Final Fantasy XV. I've always enjoyed JRPGs on handheld so you can just grind grind grind grind - feels natural.

With the big Steam Sale starting tomorrow I predict I'm gonna spend a lot of money.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Right now I'm playing Armored Core on the RG351p and I got around to hacking a Wii U that a friend lent me, so I'm checking out some of the exclusives on that as well.

For the sake of easier storage management, I've uninstalled the Heroic Launcher and games. So I've also been playing the titles I only own through the Epic Store and GOG on PC (right now, that's Death Stranding and Diablo+Hellfire.)

The rare first person game or 2d game that requires close examination of the environment is still better on PC. If I'm just trying to relax and play Glass Menagerie I'm doing that on PC.

Those caveats aside, in practice the deck has replaced my desktop and my handhelds. The next iteration is supposed to have better battery life, and that's the only thing I can really complain about. Kern said that he thought the device would age poorly, and I can see how that will be the case when more powerful and efficient hardware comes out in a few iterations, but I'd have to go back to the DMG for another handheld I'd gotten this much value out of.

I don't have a Switch, but I did play around on a Switch Lite a little bit while visiting family this past Christmas. I thought it was silly early on when people were calling the Deck a "Switch killer," and it's still clear that it isn't that, but I do better understand now why people were treating it that way. I don't use the deck as a handheld PC, as I was originally expecting to do. The I/O isn't really there for that. At the same time, it does make stuff like Skyrim for Switch a much harder sell. A deck lite that fits in a pocket and lasts for 5+ hours would really put Nintendo in an awkward place, since their brand depends on distinctive hardware almost as much as first party titles.

As it is, the Switch Lite is already facing pressure from Chinese handhelds on one side and the Deck and Decklikes on the the other. Anbernic sells a better virtual console, which is probably why the free VC libraries on Switch include "special" versions of the games with 100% unlocks, etc., and the Deck is a better portable "AAA" machine with cheaper games and more useful cloud saves.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
What's everyone playing, I am playing broken sword 2:

I have over 450 steam games, so a new years resolution is to chip away at these games.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
What's everyone playing, I am playing broken sword 2:

I have over 450 steam games, so a new years resolution is to chip away at these games.

Final Fantasy 3 (Pixel Remaster) - incredible so far. I'm playing through them all in order. Wow FF2 suuuuucks.

Octopath Traveler - 40 hours in and loving this.

Also playing Elder Ring, FF15, NetHack, Rogue, Shiren The Wanderer...

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Im at least beginning to dip my toe in and decide whether i want to play witcher 3. New to the series, but its blatantly obvious that it is a game designed to suck away endless hours of your life in escape from the fact that the target demographic is a neck beard in his parent’s basement. That being said, im only loading it up while at work and a time sink is basically what im looking for so maybe it will end up being a good alternative at night when ive run out of new library books to read for the week or handhelds to mod.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Im at least beginning to dip my toe in and decide whether i want to play witcher 3. New to the series, but its blatantly obvious that it is a game designed to suck away endless hours of your life in escape from the fact that the target demographic is a neck beard in his parent’s basement. That being said, im only loading it up while at work and a time sink is basically what im looking for so maybe it will end up being a good alternative at night when ive run out of new library books to read for the week or handhelds to mod.

Oh great choice with the witcher free did you install the new graphical upgrade mod it's free from CD Projekt

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I think i actually installed it tonight. Hadnt had my steam deck on wifi in like a month, and it sucked down like 35 gb for a witcher update. Im guessing that must be it. That game will drain the steamdecks battery faster than any other ive played on it including borderlands 3. It runs excellent but damn it is battery hungry!

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Witcher 3 really is an excellent RPG. Really good story and you need no prior knowledge of the first two games.
Im dog shit at the combat mechanics currently i feel like, but im trying to figure out the whole alchemy and crafting thing and its a very forgiving game when you wander too far in the woods and get mob raped by random enemies.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Got a ROW key for DOOM Eternal. Comment here in this thread and I will send it via PM. First come first serve.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've mostly been playing TMNT Shredder's Revenge, it's a great fit for the device. Also the new Crisis Core port is awesome on it, and I loaded the first Wing Commander game from GOG. WC isn't well suited for handheld use, but it runs well and using it with a keyboard and a controller while the deck is up on a kickstand is solid.