Steam Summer Sale 2017: What are you getting, what do you recommend?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
There's actually a large number of games that only accept an Xbox controller as the controller option.
I'm guessing that is from some lazy programming, but i default to the wireless XO controller so I don't have to deal with that again.

yes/no. It is XInput that is supported by default by Steam. This means that any wired USB Xbox 360 controller is natively supported even on Windows 7. To use other controllers lacking in Xinput, you need to use an emulator. This emulator allows Windows/Steam to think that it is an Xbox 360 controller. I have done this for games that I do not like the 360 controller feel when playing. For example, any fighting game I cannot use it, if using a controller because I grew up on playstation controllers.

X360ce is what I use, you create patches for individual games. It doesn't patch the game, but you put a library in the game folder. I was able to use this to use a PS2 controller with USB adapter on games.

EDIT: downside is that any of the emulators will not change in-game graphic representations of the controller. So while you may be using a PS3 controller, it will still show buttons for Xbox 360, even in any game with a quick-time event.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
yes/no. It is XInput that is supported by default by Steam. This means that any wired USB Xbox 360 controller is natively supported even on Windows 7. To use other controllers lacking in Xinput, you need to use an emulator. This emulator allows Windows/Steam to think that it is an Xbox 360 controller. I have done this for games that I do not like the 360 controller feel when playing. For example, any fighting game I cannot use it, if using a controller because I grew up on playstation controllers.

X360ce is what I use, you create patches for individual games. It doesn't patch the game, but you put a library in the game folder. I was able to use this to use a PS2 controller with USB adapter on games.

EDIT: downside is that any of the emulators will not change in-game graphic representations of the controller. So while you may be using a PS3 controller, it will still show buttons for Xbox 360, even in any game with a quick-time event.

Does the Xbox One controller work plug and play or do you need software for that as well. I was using I forgot what app for the ps4 controller but it was a pain so I just went back to use the regular 360 controller.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I don't know, I haven't tried one. I had read that it was a "no" but I was also looking specifically for Windows 7. I think that the Xbox One controller is supported natively in Windows 10, but IDK if it just works on Steam games like the 360 controller does.

You can also use the wireless controllers too, with a wireless USB adapter. The input lag seems negligible from what I read. But again I haven't tried to do that either.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Does the Xbox One controller work plug and play or do you need software for that as well. I was using I forgot what app for the ps4 controller but it was a pain so I just went back to use the regular 360 controller.

I use my Xboner Elite on Steam for Dark Souls the most jn windows 8 and windows 7 but it works with all the other games I have played without any problems. In windows 10 the xboner controller also provides sound and if you plug in the chatpad you can type with it too, kinda pointless but it's there if you want it.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
I really dig Axiom Verge, Gamestop had a indiebox physical copy for 10 bucks. Nice steelbox, with a steam code and a DRM free disk.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I don't know, I haven't tried one. I had read that it was a "no" but I was also looking specifically for Windows 7. I think that the Xbox One controller is supported natively in Windows 10, but IDK if it just works on Steam games like the 360 controller does.

You can also use the wireless controllers too, with a wireless USB adapter. The input lag seems negligible from what I read. But again I haven't tried to do that either.

I use my Xboner Elite on Steam for Dark Souls the most jn windows 8 and windows 7 but it works with all the other games I have played without any problems. In windows 10 the xboner controller also provides sound and if you plug in the chatpad you can type with it too, kinda pointless but it's there if you want it.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
So I just pulled the trigger on:
-Banner Saga 2
-Darkest Dungeon
-This War of Mine
-Hollow Knight
-Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom
-Doom
-Titan Souls
-Toren
-Ori and the Blind Forest
-Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code

Earlier in the week bought:
-Slain
-Axiom Verge
-Hyper Light Drifter
-KOF XIII
-Dropsy

How is that VA-11 HALL-A game?

Anyone play Furi? Is it any good?

What other fighting games should I pick up? (I already have Skullgirls)

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Witcher 3 GotY
Xanadu Next
Senran Kagura Bon Appetit

I think you're talking about DS4Windows.

Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
So I just pulled the trigger on:
-Banner Saga 2
-Darkest Dungeon
-This War of Mine
-Hollow Knight
-Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom
-Doom
-Titan Souls
-Toren
-Ori and the Blind Forest
-Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code

Earlier in the week bought:
-Slain
-Axiom Verge
-Hyper Light Drifter
-KOF XIII
-Dropsy

How is that VA-11 HALL-A game?

Anyone play Furi? Is it any good?

What other fighting games should I pick up? (I already have Skullgirls)

You might want to try the demo on steam for Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm. It's a fighter by former SNK employees, hand drawn sprite animation, constantly being tweaked for tourney play. I took part in the Indigogo campaign a few years ago, and it's been pretty good since launch. I just checked, and if you like the demo, seems the sale has it @ $11 right now (CAD, probably 8-ish USD).

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
You might want to try the demo on steam for Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm. It's a fighter by former SNK employees, hand drawn sprite animation, constantly being tweaked for tourney play. I took part in the Indigogo campaign a few years ago, and it's been pretty good since launch. I just checked, and if you like the demo, seems the sale has it @ $11 right now (CAD, probably 8-ish USD).

Thanks for the heads up! Downloading the demo right now, looks awesome.

So I was thinking about getting a Guilty Gear game, should I get Xrd Revelator? Or one of the cheaper games?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Astebreed
Bastion
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Psychonauts
Subnautica
This War of Mine
Transistor

I'll definitely pick up Hyper Light Drifter and few others before the sale ends. I need to buy more Steam cards first.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
All this talk about Hyper Light Drifter had me curious. Purchased it today.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
It is tempting, but I try and not buy so many games on these sales since I know I will never have the time to actually play them. :(