Streaming box

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
I'm buying a streaming box this week. Just cut the cord!

I am looking at the usual suspects.. Looking for updated advice on these.

Roku, Nvidia Shield and the Apple box.

Thanks!

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
Well the cheapest is Roku. You can do some interesting things with the Nvidia shield. I have nothing to add about the apple product, im not familiar with it.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Roku 4
General Roku reviews in the last year are likely outdated. That's mainly because they waited excessively long to update from Roku 3 to 4. The Roku 4 can do 4k, and streams pretty much everything from my NAS or provider.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
If you have many iOS devices, Airplay can be a very nice feature.

However I primarily use my PS4 for all my streaming services...(Plex, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Youtube, Spotify, Twitch and some random other ones)

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
I just pulled the trigger on the Nvidia box. It is bundled with the gamepad, and free ($43 value) remote. I'll report back after I get to play with it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm close. PS4 for media (I like the slightly faster interface, and don't care about current gen big name games)

PS3 is for playing games on.

I'm the exact opposite, my PS3 is on media center duty and I usually game on the PS4.

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
I use my WiiU to stream everything and it works really well.
In the settings mode for the browser you need to set the user agent to 'ipad' and then it'll be able to stream hd movies/tv from 1channel, kissanime/cartoon, youtube live streams for sports, etc..

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
I wanted to provide an update on the Nvidia Shield box thingy.

Everything worked as it should out of the box. The only problem I had was remembering my gmail password... :)

Netflix and others have a great format, easy binge watching. Which is unlike my experience with WiiU streaming.

Kodi/Addons are fricken amazing.

All in all, I wish I cut the cord long ago. I can't think of a reason to go back.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Wii U for Netflix and Amazon, and a cheap laptop with HDMI out for the rest (Kodi with addons for movies and sports, mostly).

The only downside I've seen from cutting the cord is when it comes to sports. For most sports, you have to watch it live if there's not a replay somewhere.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
Welcome to the club. Cut the cord for about over a year now and glad I did. I bought an amazon firestick that had kodi preloaded and that's what we use on our tv in our living room.