Streets of Rage 4 Reveal Trailer

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I just spent all weekend playing the 4-player co-op mode with my family. I initially thought the game was just “ok”, but once we started unlocking the classic versions of the characters (and their more varied mechanics and play-styles that became available as a result), the game really started showing its true potential.

Some comment about the game’s lack of background details but the game actually has a a lot of enemies and situations that cue music shifts and has a lot of animated and interactive environment effects. You can even toggle these background effects on and off in the options if desired.

I think what makes this game truly shine is choice.

If we aren’t digging the new art style, they added the option to pause and toggle the retro sprite and graphic/filter effects at any time.

The new ost has some good tracks in the mix, but if we’re not feeling it, we can pause the game and toggle the older soundtrack at will. Aside from Yuzo’s tracks, the music in stage 8 really stood out for me (classic Sega Out Run reference at the beginning of the track; and amps up at 1:21):

Double Dragon Advance and the psp Ikkitousen games are some of my favorite beat em ups due to their fighting game style mechanics and combat variation. Streets of Rage 4 is not nearly as deep, but it does make up for it by allowing you to pick and choose the character, move-set, and individual character mechanics that suit your own playstyle or those of your co-op partners.

It’s not a revolution for the series, but is rather a fun “love letter” to the older games in the same vein as the well-received Sonic Mania. You’ll either love it or hate depending on how much of a tolerance you have for the rehashed content and the clash of the newer enemies and design choices.

Opinion will vary on whether Streets of Rage Remake is a better love letter than SoR 4, but this is a fun outing that shows it’s potential the more you invest and unlock.

When it comes to sequels, I tend to prefer game-mechanic additions and series progress over the rehash/love letter/play-it safe approach to designing a successor to a great title. Japanese developers from the 80’s and 90’s always had to find that balance between keeping what worked and fleshing out new directions and ideas for a series. Some series played it safe for as long as possible and other game series prefered to reinvent themselves with each series entry.

SoR4 is made by a different team who clearly held those older SoR 1-3 games in high esteem, but since they are not the original game developers who created those original games, their direction and vision for the series will be totally different.

Let’s remember that had Sega not turned it down, this would have been “Streets of Rage 4” in the Saturn-era:

fighting-force.jpg

Streets of Rage 4 is definitely something special in my humble opinion and worth a play with friends and family. If nothing else, at least it got a lot of people pining for more beat em ups again.

Good stuff

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Played through in online co-op with an old buddy over the weekend and while I agree with the criticisms (soundtrack is forgettable outside of a couple of tracks, art style is a little too bright and shiny and an over-abundance of cunt cuts and rainbow hairs), I come to SoR 90% for the battle and sound design and that's largely on point here. Played through with both Axel and Adam and both feel like a natural evolution of those characters' move sets. Cancelling in and out of moves, wall juggles, air juggles, the "red health" aspect of special moves, the "star" supers: all of it feels good and like something a proper Streets of Rage sequel would see. Gameplay-wise, the only thing I think this game needs is the dodges from SoR 3. Too many enemies (particularly late game) have moves that control horizontal space and the lack of movement options to avoid that shit is frustrating, especially in a game that otherwise seems to prioritize having a large moveset to handle any situation.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
Another physical release is coming in July.

The Signature Edition version will cost $59.99 / €59.99 / £49.99 and comes with the following:

Five limited edition enamel pins featuring Cherry Hunter, Blaze Fielding, Axel Stone, Adam Hunter and Floyd IraiaNumbered collector’s certificate, printed with the developers' signatures.Axel Stone's blue bandana complete with Streets of Rage 4 logoOuter sleeve featuring alternative artwork

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/05/streets_of_rage_4_gets_another_physical_release_this_time_with_a_signature_edition

That bandana makes this the best special edition of all:keke::keke:

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Well its a mixed but mostly positive bag for me.

The music is ok, not mind blowing but some of the tracks are pretty good, a few a bit naff.
Think the lack the pumping energetic vibe personally.

The art style has grown on me and it works IMO but there is one aspect that bugs me which is the old to new integration.

Having the secret levels and unlock characters is cool but I wish there was a option to re-skin them with a current art style version as the old pixel art and the new clash badly imo.

The game play is solid and the controls are snappy, Which is what these type of games usually feck up on so I am happy about that.
It plays like a SOR game should.

But its also hard! I have completed it on easy, Normal, hard and done the first few levels of mania so far.

But the stupid thing is I seem to take almost as much damage in easy mode as I do on hard sometimes!
I have also played online with some people who have struggled like hell on normal and had to carry them through missions as they seem mystified by my ability to survive!

But the one thing that I do really dislike and needs improvement imo is the cheapness of some of the enemies.
Those female rehash bikers are cheap as hell and they have seemingly nerfed the dash attack so it gets over powered by even basic enemies.

On the higher levels you can get juggled from one side of the screen to the other by those bastards and there is nothing you can do to stop it unless you drop lucky with something.

The enemy now has breakers and counters but you are just left high n dry when they do.

Over all its good and I think if they sorted out the dash attack and other moves that should not be broken it would be great.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Finished SOR4 story mode recently.At first i wasn't thrilled by the game graphics from it's original trailer.Still as i got into the game and the animation,seem very fluid to me and how smooth it ran.So i am fine with it.Then there's the game play i found it to be very tight and responses as well.For it's music i thought it was a mixed bag.Some of the music i like while others were forgettable to me.All in all i give the game a thumbs up.I will say,sega sure took a gamble letting a western developer make this but it workout regardless.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Whoever said there should be a means to deal with diagonal attacks is right. Game feels like you are driving a snow plow at points.
Blocks, counters running, something
I still think calling this SoR4 is ridiculous, like it is to somehow concieve that BladeRunner2049 is somehow a true sequel to Blade Runner. For what it is, its better than good. But part of true canon?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Finally got around to this game on the Switch.

Let's get this out of the way first. The Music.... they tried. It's a lot to live up to with fans. I would have thrown in some remix tracks here and there. Maybe they are in there, but I haven't noticed. Nothing memorable so far, but I still need to play through with some more characters.

I am actually fine with this art. I prefer chunky pixels like many, but I'm not offended by this art direction. The characters are all well done, but some environments are a bit lacking. It's weird when a scene is full of great looking backgrounds and characters, and then you see something that feels completely rushed.

The controls are probably my biggest gripe. It certainly feels like Street of Rage...but a SoR where I'm walking through molasses most of the time. The lack of a dash is just laborious. I get that they wanted to slow it down, but I never got used to it with Axel. You can barely avoid well telegraphed specials and obstacles without immediately trying to walk away. Any maybe that's part of my gripe with it too. Your main defense is walking away. Most of the challenge is in cheap shots. I guess that's any beat em up game, but they are more apparent in SoR4. Certain bosses are easily tackled with various approaches, and others are just brute force nonsense. There's a bit more nuance to the combat system, and it's all an improvement. I would have liked more, but I'm guessing that may have angered the SoR purists. The new special system is certainly more fair, and theoretically it should encourage more use of the specials. The problem is I'm still trained to never use them, and their damage output seems weak. I think most times I would be better off grappling as the special is too vulnerable to counters.

I'm gonna keep peeling this onion until I experience more of the content. It only took about 30 minutes to get the hang of it, and every level after that was simple to walk right through. I'll see how i feel about it after it simmers some more.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
You can barely avoid well telegraphed specials and obstacles without immediately trying to walk away. Any maybe that's part of my gripe with it too. Your main defense is walking away. Most of the challenge is in cheap shots. I guess that's any beat em up game, but they are more apparent in SoR4. Certain bosses are easily tackled with various approaches, and others are just brute force nonsense.

Neutral specials are used to avoid sticky situations. I was in the same boat of not using them, but you need to get used to it. Your reaction / timing will eventually click, especially once you learn enemy patterns. I think the temp green bar cost is a nice idea.

Jumps also have invincibility during the first few frames (great against cops with the shields).

You may want to check some youtube videos that cover the combat / enemies in depth. It helped me a lot.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The controls are probably my biggest gripe. It certainly feels like Street of Rage...but a SoR where I'm walking through molasses most of the time. The lack of a dash is just laborious.

Yeah, it really needed a dash/run option. That said, once I unlocked Adam I never went back to Axel.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Neutral specials are used to avoid sticky situations. I was in the same boat of not using them, but you need to get used to it. Your reaction / timing will eventually click, especially once you learn enemy patterns. I think the temp green bar cost is a nice idea.

Jumps also have invincibility during the first few frames (great against cops with the shields).

You may want to check some youtube videos that cover the combat / enemies in depth. It helped me a lot.

Neutral special makes sense. I started to lean into it a little more late game where projectiles were coming from across the screen. I certainly didn't experience any invincibility with early jumps. Quite the opposite. I moved away from jumping as it always favored the enemy.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I forgot to mention the jump is a no go against certain enemies who instantly anti-air you as soon as you're in the air. Personally I only use it against murphy or in desperate situations.

This video was very useful for me:

One thing I would add is that against Goro, I wait till he does the counter stance, and once he puts his hand down, there is a brief window where you can freely punish him. If you happen to mis-time it and he counters, neutral special lol.

Also, if you want to break the game, Blaze has an extremely easy and cheap infinite (4th one in this video). It can even lock most bosses out of bringing back up.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
If anyone is interested sor4 is getting dlc.
[video]