Streets of Rage 4 Reveal Trailer

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Seems very exaggerated.

It's as if Streets of Rage got a follow-up in the late-90s on Capcom's CPS3, with screen-filling sprites and gloriously detailed backdrops that are up there with the sublime Street Fighter 3.

OK...

You know what I thought was cool but got panned? Double Dragon Neon

Only thing I didn't like was Skullmageddon.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So far it's decent, better than I expected. I think the bar has been set so high by SoRR that this just can't compare. Mechanics seem to be solid.

*Obligatory negative points

Bourbon looks like post-HIV Freddy Mercury wearing Jethro Bodine's pants.

Having no run mechanic is a shame, as are near useless breakable weapons.

Having a dedicated button to pick up items is stupid as hell.

The much hyped soundtrack is unobtrusive elevator music; it's not bad but it's completely unmemorable. The new compositions in SoRR blow it out of the water.

I agree with all of this. SOR4 is a good game, but I don't yet think it's a great one. I don't really get the "THIS IS AWESOME" feel I got when I was playing River City Girls.

You know what I thought was cool but got panned? Double Dragon Neon

Speaking of awesome, Double Dragon Neon certainly was.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Rocked out yesterday on the Ps4 and was digging it. Online co-OP makes the game more fun to play. Axel and Blaze feel just like they did before with a fresh coat of paint.

It would have been nice to let Axel run. I enjoyed doing his grand upper off the run in Sor3 and SorR.

Game is pretty but don't know if I'm feeling the video filters. Maybe once I unlock the retro characters they will mesh in well with the retro filters. So far so good though. The game wasn't a let down.

Like others said with bar being set so high with Sor2 and SorR it was going to be really hard to top those. Only time will tell.

Those Murphy Shock Troopers kept busting me up. What's the best way to break the shields? I found it easier to do with the baton. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Rocked out yesterday on the Ps4 and was digging it. Online co-OP makes the game more fun to play. Axel and Blaze feel just like they did before with a fresh coat of paint.

It would have been nice to let Axel run. I enjoyed doing his grand upper off the run in Sor3 and SorR.

Game is pretty but don't know if I'm feeling the video filters. Maybe once I unlock the retro characters they will mesh in well with the retro filters. So far so good though. The game wasn't a let down.

Like others said with bar being set so high with Sor2 and SorR it was going to be really hard to top those. Only time will tell.

Those Murphy Shock Troopers kept busting me up. What's the best way to break the shields? I found it easier to do with the baton. Any suggestions?
Start a combo with the drop kick (or whatever the holding down jump kick is called) and back off to avoid getting hit. Repeat that until it gets red enough to finish the job without getting hit. I found other ways to do the job with characters that don't have it.

The Eurogamer review was way over the top. I'm getting the same feeling I did with Sonic Mania where if I say anything negative the internet will disown me.

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I use Blaze do the flip kick (fwd fwd+punch) to break the shields.

I like this game a lot but time will tell how it ranks in the series. Something feels off when I throw or punch people off a ledge, it doesn't feel as satisfying as before.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Played a few levels. I like the movement and hit detection in then game, the music.
But the graphics I just don't dig at all. It reminds me of something you would play on the gba done by some euro developer
There's a bareness to it, I much prefer pixel art, it makes for a more tangible world, and is much more aligned with movement within the play field.

This is millennial irreverence. Nothing too offensive, just shallow and a bit of a pisstake. It struts with way more confidence than it should.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Dude, I never even played it. Just watched a longplay of and then downloaded the music...and then...listened to some of the music...when I exercised at a gym...

But I would have liked to play it. That will never happen tho

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I mean, come on. This is great:

Spoiler:

I unironically loved that song for some time.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
cheers mate. you doing ok in argentina. positive energy from lonesage reaching to you.

too many liters. waiting for heart to stop. fuck the roker.

I haven't been paying attention to the thread but are you buying this?

I think I'm going to buy this.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The whole world has stopped, who the fuck is buying anything? Retards.

Only thing worthy buying is property, go for it if you can. Otherwise don't.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I never played SoRR, so what some are missing...is lost on me.

For what it is, I’m enjoying SoR4 so far (just beat Diva).

Once I got used to a separate button for pick ups/ hurled weapons, I slipped into a groove.

Not a PGM brawler by any stretch, but hey-I’ll take it.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

How drunk are you? Holy shit. You need to control these emotions or you'll end up on skid row faster than you can say, "the coronavirus is a bioterrorist threat by the Liberal Shadow Government and China used to destroy the Trump presidency"

Plenty of people are buying vidya games to pass the time.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

I use Blaze do the flip kick (fwd fwd+punch) to break the shields.
Same here, at first I was trying to combo, back away, then move in again, but the shield turns back to blue too fast, spamming jump attacks is the only reliable way to do it in single player. Those are among several enemies that make me think the game was designed for multiplayer first and not really balanced for single player.

Gamepass is the way to go if you have an XB1 or a PC.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member

Spoken like a true commie.

Just jealous coz you didn't get Trump Bux to waste on shitty video game sequels.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I never played SoRR, so what some are missing...is lost on me.

For what it is, I’m enjoying SoR4 so far (just beat Diva).

Once I got used to a separate button for pick ups/ hurled weapons, I slipped into a groove.

Not a PGM brawler by any stretch, but hey-I’ll take it.
Wait, you've never played SOR and the high water mark is IGS games? I guess I respect that you are a fan of those games, but doesn't seem like the bar is set that high to me.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Wait, you've never played SOR and the high water mark is IGS games? I guess I respect that you are a fan of those games, but doesn't seem like the bar is set that high to me.

I’ve never played Streets of Rage Remake.

I’ve played the other Streets of Bare Knuckle games.

Some folks that have played *Remake* are saying they miss some things in Remake that didn’t make it to 4.

Aesthetically, the high water mark for me is PGM2 Oriental Legend 2.

I’m enjoying SoR4, even though it isn’t pixel art.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Watching a longplay. It isn't as terrible as I thought it would turn out, but still kinda meh.

There are some neat ideas, like the car ramming into the guys in level one, or having policemen/riot cops be enemies in level 2 (socially relevant in 2020).

But they were able to make an improvement in the series - bouncing enemies off an invisible wall (the edge of the screen). That's one of the most annoying things in the original games, knocking an enemy off-screen and waiting forever for them to come back.

I don't like how drab/dreary the stages look. Music doesn't pump me up.

As an aside, this retarded 'girl power-side of the head shaved off'-look can't go away soon enough.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Watching a longplay. It isn't as terrible as I thought it would turn out, but still kinda meh.

There are some neat ideas, like the car ramming into the guys in level one, or having policemen/riot cops be enemies in level 2 (socially relevant in 2020).

But they were able to make an improvement in the series - bouncing enemies off an invisible wall (the edge of the screen). That's one of the most annoying things in the original games, knocking an enemy off-screen and waiting forever for them to come back.

I don't like how drab/dreary the stages look. Music doesn't pump me up.

As an aside, this retarded 'girl power-side of the head shaved off'-look can't go away soon enough.

Yea, after playing through the whole game I noticed a little bit of a sjw theme. More chick enemies. The cool looking biker dudes were replaced with these fat chicks and they have helmets on but aren't riding their bikes like Sor2. Hard ass chick cop with half shaved head turns out to be a good guy. Cops are mostly bad and corrupt. Last two boss are two spoiled white kids.

Thankfully Blaze stayed intact and looks like a hot MILF with her original hair color.

Whatever, beat the game last night. Going to do the arcade run with Adam. Overall I enjoyed the game alot.

Music is good but it's never going to top Sor1 and Sor2 but we are talking about the probably 2 of the best video game soundtracks of all time.

Graphics are good. I dug the look but Pixel Art is preferred. I'm actually going to try and play it with the retro crt filter on this time.

The air catching mechanic is very nice touch. Playing yesterday in 2 players and having my buddy set me up with a enemy in mid air while landing a grand upper and whatever I could catch him with before hitting the floor was very satisfying.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah I also don't understand the choice for making the biker enemies into fat women. I'd probably get countered with, 'so why are there fat men?' on other forums but whatever.

I swear they turned Blaze latina.