Studio Ghibli closes down...or don't? Hnnnrgh

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
That's shame really since they were only studio left that did,hand drawn animation to :(

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
the museum was really cool. it's not very big, I've been in people's houses that were bigger. Surreal is the best word i can think of to describe it. I went with my japanese teacher, he didnt care too much about it, but thought I'd like it. I wanna take my wife there, she's a big fan.

My favorite parts:

1) miyazaki's drafting area
2) kiki stained glass (tried SO hard to nab a pic; no mute on my keitai's camera...almost got booted out)
3) sculpture garden out back.

Those tics are HELLA hard to come by. My buddy's girlfriend lives in mitaka, so we were set.

*your jpn lang teacher? Did you attend TUJ or keio or some such? How have we not had this conversation yet?!?

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
My favorite parts:

1) miyazaki's drafting area
2) kiki stained glass (tried SO hard to nab a pic; no mute on my keitai's camera...almost got booted out)
3) sculpture garden out back.

Those tics are HELLA hard to come by. My buddy's girlfriend lives in mitaka, so we were set.

*your jpn lang teacher? Did you attend TUJ or keio or some such? How have we not had this conversation yet?!?

yea the sclupture garden was my favorite part too! Actually my teacher was from my community college in Tucson, Az. I had told him I was gonna be in japan over the summer and he said he was going back too and wanted to meet up with me. He was srsly the most strict and snide teacher i've ever had and I learned so much in his class, he scored us the tickets. Howl's was just to about to be released and there were images of the moving castle all over which looked nuts!!

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
yea the sclupture garden was my favorite part too! Actually my teacher was from my community college in Tucson, Az. I had told him I was gonna be in japan over the summer and he said he was going back too and wanted to meet up with me. He was srsly the most strict and snide teacher i've ever had and I learned so much in his class, he scored us the tickets. Howl's was just to about to be released and there were images of the moving castle all over which looked nuts!!

Awesome! Btw, don't mind the thread derail...long live Ghibli!!

Did you catch a short, in the theatre? I know they rotate...I really wanted to see the Nausicca one-caught A Day w/ May (mei no kyoo?), and loved it.

It would be rad if all the museum shorts were collected onto BD.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Awesome! Btw, don't mind the thread derail...long live Ghibli!!

Did you catch a short, in the theatre? I know they rotate...I really wanted to see the Nausicca one-caught A Day w/ May (mei no kyoo?), and loved it.

no, we didnt see the short. we were a little pressed for time that day, but I do still have the ticket they give you to see the short, it has a single cel of animation in it :) my teacher gave me his as a souvenir also, mine was from spirited away, which is my favorite ghibli film.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
no, we didnt see the short. we were a little pressed for time that day, but I do still have the ticket they give you to see the short, it has a single cel of animation in it :) my teacher gave me his as a souvenir also, mine was from spirited away, which is my favorite ghibli film.

I keep mine in my wallet. ^_^
8azuqa4e.jpg

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Better source than all the other doom-saying ones that were floating about yesterday. I didn't even know this was a story until Tumblr started freaking out about it.

This.

Also, from the Kotaku article (which DOES accurately translate the context of the interview):

Just a note: the wording Suzuki uses ( 小休止 or "shoukyuushi") can mean "pause" or "a break" or a "breather." He does not use the more definite word "kyuushi" (休止), which means either "stop, pause or suspend."

This is the problem with the age of social media. Every dumbass that wants to post an opinion is allowed to do so, and humanity has seen the worst of its knee jerk emotional impulses become transformed into fact.

Everybody has lost their shit over nothing (yet). Ghibli may have to make some tough business decisions, or maybe they're just concerned about how to best evolve their kind of creative expression to find that balance between maintaining artistic integrity and staying in business.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Shito needs to make a statement. He was doing official translation for SG in Italy, I think.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I am so furiously jealous of you dudes that have been to the ghibli museum..

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
This.

Also, from the Kotaku article (which DOES accurately translate the context of the interview):

This is the problem with the age of social media. Every dumbass that wants to post an opinion is allowed to do so, and humanity has seen the worst of its knee jerk emotional impulses become transformed into fact.

Everybody has lost their shit over nothing (yet). Ghibli may have to make some tough business decisions, or maybe they're just concerned about how to best evolve their kind of creative expression to find that balance between maintaining artistic integrity and staying in business.

Calm down Corky.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Thanks for your previous saner-like post :keke:

Whatever. It still doesn't change the fact that KOTAKU, of all sites, had a more credible report than your initial link.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Whatever. It still doesn't change the fact that KOTAKU, of all sites, had a more credible report than your initial link.

I'm seriously going to lose sleep over this :oh_no:

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
Wow, this sucks, though I'd rather see them stop making movies rather than start making shitty ones without Miyazaki.

Hopefully the museum stays open. I'd love to go there if I ever get to Japan.

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same. It's sad to see the end of an epic era, but Miyazaki is retired. Might as well close it down and be awesome forever.
Miyazaki gets it:
Spoiler:

nk2gjD9.jpg

QaX3T5M.jpg

98UA5LI.jpg

SQZXdBY.jpg

a2ew5rw.jpg

wiKEAAw.jpg

9muImW6.jpg

I would really love to see those. Even without subtitles. If/When I go to Japan I would definitely make it a point to check out the museum.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Whoah whoah whoah, are you guys saying you have to buy tickets to go to the museum and they're hard to get? That would be one of the main points of going to Japan for me. How unlikely is it for a tourist to get a few tickets?