Stupid fads/trends

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Let's reminisce about stupid fads or trends that have long passed. I'm especially interested in ones that you think were only popular in your town/region, or overseas fads that us ignorant Americans might not be familiar with.

For example: Probably for about three months in the early nineties, these snappy bracelet things were huge in my town. I have no idea what they were called, but they were straight pieces of stiff plastic, usually with patterned fabric over them, that would snap into a circle when you hit them against something. Eventually rumors began circulating that they would cut your wrists if you snapped them on carelessly, teachers started confiscating them, and that was the merciful end of that stupid fad.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
slap bracelets!

i remember when i was a kid, everyone used to tell those 'yo mama' jokes all the time. if it wasn't that, they said, 'i know you are, but what am i?'

i hated that shit.

:buttrock:

syringe

Banned
Pogs - Worst. Fad. Ever.

Those things were those things a waste of cash and they were horribly boring to play with.

Last edited:

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Here are two new fads that are for a good cause but still very annoying:

The "God Bless Our Troops" bumper stickers on every mini-van across America.
The yellow braclets that 95% of all college students are wearing.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Fad that needs to die: Atkins Diet.

Meat, meat, meat, meat.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Neo Maikeru said:

I don't really mind that one as much since all the proceeds from those went to cancer research.

syringe

Banned
Neo Maikeru said:
Here are two new fads that are for a good cause but still very annoying:

The "God Bless Our Troops" bumper stickers on every mini-van across America.

God you're a pretentious fuck.

The proceeds from the yellow bracelets go to Lance Armstrong's cancer charity, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

As for the "support our troops" stickers. Well I'm sure the millions of Americans who have loved ones in the armed services would love to hear your meaningful opinion on why they shouldn't express their grief or support for those loved ones, who are being picked off one by one in the middle of a desert for no.fucking.reason.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Pokemon/Yu Gi Oh/Magic the (NERDS/GEEKS) Gathering, reality TV, celebrity marriages (who fucking cares honestly), boy bands/pop stars who can't sing for shit, etc.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
syringe said:
God you're a pretentious fuck.

The proceeds from the yellow bracelets go to Lance Armstrong's cancer charity, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

As for the "support our troops" stickers. Well I'm sure the millions of Americans who have loved ones in the armed services would love to hear your meaningful opinion on why they shouldn't express their grief or support for those loved ones, who are being picked off one by one in the middle of a desert for no.fucking.reason.

Wait a second, I don't think you read this part: Here are two new fads that are for a good cause but still very annoying:

I know they are for a good cause. I would buy one and support the cause but I wouldn't stick it on my car. Ok mother teresa?(sp)

Last edited:

syringe

Banned
Lastblade said:
Pokemon/Yu Gi Oh/Magic the (NERDS/GEEKS) Gathering, reality TV, celebrity marriages (who fucking cares honestly), boy bands/pop stars who can't sing for shit, etc.

The boy band/pure pop music thing did die. Thank God.

We have lil'jon and the "crunk" trend, 50 cent and shitty alt/emo/pop punk instead.

Which is almost as bad, albiet not quite as nausiating as the "pure pop" trend of a few years back.

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
Neo Maikeru said:
Wait a second, I don't think you read this part: Here are two new fads that are for a good cause but still very annoying:

I know they are for a good cause.

i don't like the yellow bracelet fad either. i get angry when i see highschool prep's wearing them...it makes me sick.

if you don't know what it's like to have cancer don't wear one.
if you don't know what it's like to lose a loved one to cancer, don't wear one.

wear the bracelets to make a difference, not a fashion statement.

:very_ang: :very_ang: :very_ang:

edit: oh yeah, i also hate HATE HATE those damn 'god bless america' bumper stickers. everytime i see one of those stickers i say to myself, 'hey look, another bushy.'

fuck them.

Last edited:

syringe

Banned
Neo Maikeru said:

I know they are for a good cause. I would buy one and support the cause but I wouldn't stick it on my car. Ok mother teresa?(sp)

You're a pretentious ass because you find them annoying even though they're for a good cause.

You acknowledge they're for a good cause and even if you didnt that has zero effect on the validity of my initial statement.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
syringe said:
You're a pretentious ass because you find them annoying even though they're for a good cause.

You acknowledge they're for a good cause and even if you didnt that has zero effect on the validity of my initial statement.

Half the people wearing the braclets dont even know what they are for. They are just wearing them because it is the cool thing to do. I don't even know why I am arguing with you though, I can care less what you think. I am not the one spending all my time posting on an internet forum.

syringe

Banned
BryLmoo said:
i don't like the yellow bracelet fad either. i get angry when i see highschool prep's wearing them...it makes me sick.

if you don't know what it's like to have cancer don't wear one.
if you don't know what it's like to lose a loved one to cancer, don't wear one.

wear the bracelets to make a difference, not a fashion statement.

:very_ang: :very_ang: :very_ang:

Selling them is how the cancer charity raises money and awareness.

That's the entire point.

So they're funding the cancer charity...which can pays for cancer research and treatment for the poor.

Yeah...so sickening... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

FrostbayneAucti

Tung's Hair Stylist
Neo Maikeru said:

The Lance Armstrong ones were good, 100% to cancer research. All of these other ones, selling for 5 bucks and donating like 2 cents to charity for so many stupid (or worthy causes) are just too much, and they cut the legs out from underneith something that was working.

Bad Fad = Drinking Bottled Water.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
syringe said:

Giving money to the ACS is like paying Exxon to find an alternative to gas....
My money is better spent on crack than paying money into that massive infrastucture of worthless jobs.....as long as cancer is profitable...you will never get a cure...

syringe said:
who are being picked off one by one in the middle of a desert for no.fucking.reason.

Hahahahaaha. Ur cute, Scan.

syringe

Banned
Neo Maikeru said:
Half the people wearing the braclets dont even know what they are for. They are just wearing them because it is the cool thing to do. I don't even know why I am arguing with you though, I can care less what you think. I am not the one spending all my time posting on an internet forum.

They're still paying for them and in effect raising money for the charity.

Their personal awareness would be a good thing...

But the fact that they're funding a charity either way is an even better thing which makes all the angst regarding "who is aware of what" somewhat pointless.

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
syringe said:
Selling them is how the cancer charity raises money and awareness.

That's the entire point.

So there's funding for the cancer charity...which can fund cancer research and cancer treatments for the poor.

Yeah...so sickening... :rolleyes:

i messed up, sorry man, just had to blow off some steam.

Last edited:

FrostbayneAucti

Tung's Hair Stylist
syringe said:
They're still paying for them and in effect raising money for the charity.

Their personal awareness would be a good thing...

But the fact that they're funding a charity either way is an even better thing which makes all the angst regarding "who is aware of what" somewhat pointless.

Scan, the problem is that while the lance armstrong ones are 100% for charity, most of the other ones are like 2%, or things like "Jesus" or "friendship". I don't need to be more aware of jesus or friendship and the other foundations need to think of something else to do, because they are actually LOWERING awarenss from the lance armstrong thing when they push into the market.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm going to go with posting about politics on intenet message boards.

annoying.as.fuck

FrostbayneAucti

Tung's Hair Stylist
BryLmoo said:
fuck you man

you don't know what it feels like, do you?
you wake up everday feeling sick cuz you know someone you love is going to die of cancer at any second...and you just wish it was all a bad dream...but it isn't...

fuck you !

I'm sorry for your pain man, but that's a YP, not an OP (your problem not our problem) Just because noone related to me is dying of cancer doesn't mean I can't understand what it's like to be losing a loved one. And the money going to the charity, while It might be to late for the person you love, it's pretty selfish to say that noone should wear those bracelets because it bugs you even though the money could help someone elses loved one.

Just my opinion, and my opinion and 25 cents will get you a cup of coffee.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I haven't seen the yellow bracelet thing, but the magnetic ribbon thing is as hollow a fucking gesture as it gets. It's literally THE LEAST you could do. There's tons of people out there who don't know fuck all about the real situation in Iraq, or even know anyone who's over there...they just see everyone else in their big piece of shit SUV sporting those (ultimate irony there) and just follow along. They sell those fucking things at Walgreens for Christ's sake. It just like everyone who went out and bought a flag for their car after 9/11. If those things actually went to funds for victims and widows of said wars/tragedies, I might feel different...but they're churned out by tons of fly-by-night companies who otherwise would be making more "Show Me The Money!" t-shirts or whatever catch-phrase is hot at the moment.

It's one of the lamest by-products of our society.

syringe

Banned
Sp0o/\/?! said:
Giving money to the ACS is like paying Exxon to find an alternative to gas....
My money is better spent on crack than paying money into that massive infrastucture of worthless jobs.....as long as cancer is profitable...you will never get a cure...

You do realize that drug companies have far more to profit off of than cancer and AIDS medication. Even if a "magic bullet" for AIDS and Cancer turned up tommorow, it would scarcely effect the bottom line of a company like Pfizer. First of all there are an infintecimal number of forms cancer and just as many possible secondary complications that can arise from cancer that it's more of a catagory of diseases than a singular disease and the research reflects this complexity.

As for AIDS. well the HIV virus mutiates at such a fast pace from person to person or within an individual. That any drug they come up with is only going to be effective against part of the population at large or at best a portion of the virus within any infected individual. Hence the drug cocktails and the fact that they have to rapidly change them around every few years. AIDS treatment is basically a race between the various forms of the virus and the researchers. We can't develop drugs fast enough to "kill it" on a normative basis i.e. that would be effective on a large enough percentage of the population. There are a few people walking around right now who are completely free of the virus because hit the right combination of drugs for the strains within their body at the time and were able to kill all of it. In most people a small percentage of the virus survives this onslaught and comes back so they have to change the drug cocktail around in order to keep trying. Meaning that once in a blue moon they can hit the right variables and quite literally cure someone with an anti-viral but that's a 1 in a 100,000 feat and so far they can't really perform this with any regularity.

Both diseases need highly customized, highly individualized treatments so you're never going to get Quinine which has worked effectively for a century against an extremely static virus like malaria.

It would be beneficial to understand the nature of these diseases and why progress has been so slow against them rather than giving vague conspiracy theory driven statements which are really one step above ranting about "the five jewish bankers" and flouride in the tap water.

Last edited:

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Loopz said:
I haven't seen the yellow bracelet thing, but the magnetic ribbon thing is as hollow a fucking gesture as it gets. It's literally THE LEAST you could do. There's tons of people out there who don't know fuck all about the real situation in Iraq, or even know anyone who's over there...they just see everyone else in their big piece of shit SUV sporting those (ultimate irony there) and just follow along. They sell those fucking things at Walgreens for Christ's sake. It just like everyone who went out and bought a flag for their car after 9/11. If those things actually went to funds for victims and widows of said wars/tragedies, I might feel different...but they're churned out by tons of fly-by-night companies who otherwise would be making more "Show Me The Money!" t-shirts or whatever catch-phrase is hot at the moment.

It's one of the lamest by-products of our society.

They're actually made in China.

syringe

Banned
I guess if trivial things bother you like the ALS bracelets, ribbons on the back of a truck, or respond in cynical distaste that people give to a cancer charity without paying mind to their actual intentions ...then you're an overly bitter individual in the first place.

I occupied that exact same head space 3 or 4 years ago, but I eventually grew out of it when I became happy with myself and put my life where it needed to be.

I just find slightly amusing how so many of the same themes run deep in so many of the people here.

Last edited: