The Comic Book Thread

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
genjiglove said:
So, what's the general consensus on Grant Morrison's run in New X-Men?

It was hit and miss, some of it worked but a lot of it was just like, "What?"

Which is why I assume House Of M came about to wipe the slate clean

On the topic of Outside writers comming into comics I don't mind when they can put the stuff out regularly which such persons as Whedon and even Brad Meltzer( ID Crisis ) but if they can't then i say stick them with a side project as STK pointed out or a graphic novel so everything gets said and done.

on a side note my regualr comic store that I had thought was closed down TWP MONTHS ago called me earlier today to ask me if anyone had called me to tell me where they moved since the stuff in my pull box has piled up. While they're still not that far out of my way unlike the new place I've been going to I have to say "wtf" to how they handled their move as he told me it seems a lot of people never got a call from them either.

H

hermegildo

So I was reading the second Superman/Batman trade by Jeph Loeb and Michael Turner.

I was looking at the artwork and thinking to myself "that drawing is kinda off, that woman looks a little too elongated, why is Turner not using any blacks with Batman?" and stuff like that, but I came to the conclusion that his art is still pretty attractive despite some more than minor flaws.

At the end of the trade, they printed an alternate cover by Jim Lee and I said "Fuck Michael Turner."

Shingo Hibiki

Benimaru's Hairdresser
hermegildo said:
At the end of the trade, they printed an alternate cover by Jim Lee and I said "Fuck Michael Turner."

I bought the two Superman For Tomorrow hardcovers just because of Jim Lee's art. I'm not really a Superman fan, or a Jim Lee fan for that matter. But I'll admit, the fucker is good at what he does. The trades just screamed "Buy me!" so I did. It's probably the only time I'll buy something primarily for the art and not care how anything else turns out.

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
genjiglove said:
So, what's the general consensus on Grant Morrison's run in New X-Men?
Hit and Miss with most readers. i personally loved. I thought the Riot at Xaviers arc was the best one. But with almost ALL Morrison's read they can be hard to understand sometime and really strange. But try the first trade and give it a shot. Or even the first HC. In december they are releasing an Omnibus of all his New X-Men work which is like 114-154 in one giant hardcover.

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Anyone read the latest issue of Ultimate Spider-Man #98? It deals with the Clone Saga. Im still up in the arms about it. i mean fuck....

*SPOILERS*

fucking Gwen Stacy is back! how the fuck! Bendis is doing something, that i know but im not quite sure WHAT yet.

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Lashujin said:
Did Ellis ever get the last couple issues of Planetary out?
#26 which is what i think is the last issue has been soliciated to ship in October. With John Cassidy doing Astonishing X-Men and is now directing a movie, he has a very bad schedule and is late all the time.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Anyone know what's going on with the New Avengers? Is it going to return to the lineup of Cap. Spidey and Wolverine? I'd probably start reading it if thats the case.

H

hermegildo

Just finished reading Batman: Dark Victory.

Overall, I thought it was better than The Long Halloween even if the stories were a little too similar. The story is not really self-contained (reading TLH before it is a must) but it does leave a better sense of closure, whereas TLH left one too many things open. I was expecting Robin to show up a little earlier, but I think Loeb pulled the whole "why does the dark and loner Batman need a bright and cheery sidekick" thing Sale mentioned in the introduction succesfully and in a way that made sense.

I think I'll pass on Haunted Knight though, since a friend of mine told me it's just a collection of short stories.

I also read Superman: Birthright a while ago and it was pretty good as well. I liked the whole "Kryptonian heritage" going on in the story.

Last edited:

Shingo Hibiki

Benimaru's Hairdresser
hermegildo said:
I think I'll pass on Haunted Knight though, since a friend of mine told me it's just a collection of short stories.

It's three Halloween specials that Loeb and Sale worked on before doing The Long Halloween. I liked it. Hardly the calibur of TLH or DV, but I still found it enjoyable.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Has anyone been reading Civil War: Frontline or Civil War: X-Men?

Shingo Hibiki

Benimaru's Hairdresser
genjiglove said:

I read the first issue of X-Men. I can't really comment on it as I am just now jumping into Marvel with the Civil War. I had no idea Beast looks all cat-like now. I was going to grab Frontline as well, but decided I had already spent to much last week. I'll probably pick up the first few issues this week.

H

hermegildo

"Asked about the scheduling of the reaming issues of Ultimate Hulk/Wolverine, Quesada said writer Damon Lindelof was on break from production of Lost and is currently finishing the remaining issues in “one-sitting”.

Leinil Yu is currently working on New Avengers but will return to the limited series when all the remaining scripts are in."

It'll be a while until the series is completed it seems.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
hermegildo said:
"Asked about the scheduling of the reaming issues of Ultimate Hulk/Wolverine, Quesada said writer Damon Lindelof was on break from production of Lost and is currently finishing the remaining issues in “one-sitting”.

Leinil Yu is currently working on New Avengers but will return to the limited series when all the remaining scripts are in."

It'll be a while until the series is completed it seems.

At least it's some news.

I didn't know Leinil Yu was drawing New Avengers, I might have to start reading that. I love his work. Doesn't Bendis write the book too?

Who is even in the New Avengers? For a while it was Cap, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Iron Man and Sentry I think, but surely that team isn't still together what with Civil War and all.

Last edited:
H

hermegildo

genjiglove said:
At least it's some news.

I didn't know Leinil Yu was drawing New Avengers, I might have to start reading that. I love his work. Doesn't Bendis write the book too?

Who is even in the New Avengers? For a while it was Cap, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Iron Man and Sentry I think, but surely that team isn't still together what with Civil War and all.
I have the first two TPBs and the team was Cap, Iron Man, Spidey, Luke Cage, Wolverine, Spider-Woman and Sentry.

Dunno how different the team is now.

The trades themselves were fun reads, nothing too spectacular.

H

hermegildo

Have we all seen these already?

I'd only seen a couple of them, but I'm pretty psyched about Joe Mad's work on the Ultimates after seeing them all.

His Hulk looks pretty amazing.

Reality Check

World Hero
genjiglove said:

I've been reading Frontline and it's a good mini-series. I would only recommend it if your reading the Civil War story because all Frontline does is expand on it. It's sucks when you read it on it's own but if your reading the core series along with some of the tie-ins then you'll like Frontline.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
hermegildo said:
Have we all seen these already?

I'd only seen a couple of them, but I'm pretty psyched about Joe Mad's work on the Ultimates after seeing them all.

His Hulk looks pretty amazing.
I like the art. I'm kind of sad to see the Ultimates series as we know it, ending, though. It's going to be a completely different kind of book, as far as tone goes... Which is not to say it won't be a great book; it has a good chance of being great. I'm just going to miss the series we've been reading up until now.

'From Russia With Love' is one of my favorite Bond movies. I also like 'Moonraker' a lot, but it's not the same thing at all. That's probably the best way I can think of to describe how I feel about Ultimates 3 and 4.

PUNJABEE

Banned
388.jpg

Jeezuz. What the fuck did they do to Venom? Did Hulk swallow the symbiote or something? I like the art, but SHIT man... you don't need to fuck up Venom that bad.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
SouthtownKid said:
I like the art. I'm kind of sad to see the Ultimates series as we know it, ending, though. It's going to be a completely different kind of book, as far as tone goes... Which is not to say it won't be a great book; it has a good chance of being great. I'm just going to miss the series we've been reading up until now.

'From Russia With Love' is one of my favorite Bond movies. I also like 'Moonraker' a lot, but it's not the same thing at all. That's probably the best way I can think of to describe how I feel about Ultimates 3 and 4.

I know what you mean, but I think the new team will be great. Loeb knows how to write, as he's proven in Superman/Batman among other things. And Joe Mad is a great artist.

H

hermegildo

genjiglove said:
I know what you mean, but I think the new team will be great. Loeb knows how to write, as he's proven in Superman/Batman among other things. And Joe Mad is a great artist.
I'm actually more concerned about Loeb fucking up the book than Joe Mad.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
hermegildo said:
I'm actually more concerned about Loeb fucking up the book than Joe Mad.
Loeb is a very versatile writer. He writes each project to the strengths of whichever artist he's teamed with. But in some cases that can be as much a negative as it is a positive. When he works with Tim Sale, the result is a great Loeb/Sale comic like Long Halloween. When you team him with McGuiness, you get a fun, over the top action comic.

The problem for me is that Joe Mad's strengths are completely contrary (imo) to what Ultimates was... And so, Loeb will write a story (tailored to Joe Mad's strengths) that might as well have taken place in the regular Marvel Universe.

I'll probably still like it a lot as its own thing, I just hate to see the door closed on the Ultimates world I would have liked to read more of.