The Complete Death Of Video Game Publications

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
GamePro is gone and has been for quite some time. I subscribe to Game Informer. Only $15 per year. Better than nothing.

gamestops magazine 'game informer' plus 'neo geo x'

victoly.jpg

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
I was into Diehard Gamefan for their over the top enthusiasm and pretty glossy colors. I still remember their spread on Samurai Shodown and their retrospective on Magician Lord. They still seemed pretty consistent with Neo Geo coverage for new Neo games, even long after Neo had seen its heyday pass.

I actually resented EGM a little, for seemingly just sticking with promoting the mainstream stuff with utter consistency and having such a dominant voice at the time, though they at least gave that one game music award to Viewpoint one year, I noticed, and provided reasonably aware coverage of less popular platforms like the TG16.

But my main mag as a kid was actually Computer Gaming World. Even back then, computer games were more the realm of adults and, though I was a still a kid myself at the time, I respected their more adult approach and general professionalism. They took the subject seriously and it was more like reading a newspaper that happened to be about games. And back then, reading was the main way to be exposed to a variety of games on a variety of computer types, before IBM compatibles had final dominance. I resented Microsoft for buying them out many years later, though I had stopped reading it as regularly by then, I must admit.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I shat when this issue came to my door.

Nintendo-Power-first-issue-nintendo-433543_413_544.jpg

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
I used to subscribe to PSM. Did they ever make it to the PS2 era?
I'd say so: their last issue was for January 2007. I always looked forward to getting their PS2 demo discs. That was really the only reason I kept my subscription till the end, though, as the quality of their journalism and reviews tended to be shit. I remember when they gave Armored Core: Last Raven a terrible score because it was too complicated and they just wanted to play with "cool robots that shoot lasers."

Last edited:

SpoonyBard

n00b
It's been mentioned a couple times but I want to reiterate that Edge is a pretty nice mag. It's expensive, but it's mature and takes a pretty nice perspective on gaming overall. Also has pretty nice coverage of indie games and studios.

Edge is pretty much all I read anymore. It's pretty good, but every time I read it I just wish they'd start making Next Generation again.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Just picked up this issue of Retro Gamer at the Barne's and Nobel. Not sure how old it is or if it's the most current but it has some cool stuff in it. I had not seen one in awhile so I had to scoop it.

RTOGMR.JPG

Last edited:

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If I spot it at the newsstands, I'll pick a copy up.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I still wish I had my collection of older magazine. The ones I remember the most were Tips & Tricks, Gamepro, PSM, EGM and the official Playstation magazine with all of it's demos. It was such a roll of the dice with the demos. You either got one that kicked ass and you wanted to play for hours or one that lasted 2 minutes and made you want to microwave the disc.

Rig

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I have 1,000's of gaming magazines in a storage room at home. I was a gaming mag junkie as a kid. Had subscriptions to nearly all common/uncommon US gaming magazines.

Nintendo Power, EGM, EGM2, Gamepro, Gamefan, OPM, PSN, Tips & Tricks, OXM...tons.

Sometimes I grab a random issue just to relive a bit of that "it's here!" feeling.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
My stack of gaming mags are all kept in plastic containers in the basement. Hardly ever read those anymore though.

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
oh man, yeah i love gaming mags! lost too many in a flood down here, i'm still in the process of replacing em. Anyone interested in Retro Gamer should sub and use the code CLASSIC, i think it comes to like $75 a year that way? far cheaper than newsstand, at least. waiting on that Retro mag from kickstarter to get going, should be fun with Parish, Kohler etc on board.

I read the crap out of Game Players in the day but looking back, my favorites were easily Gamefan & Next Generation, a seemingly forgotten book that had the closest ive ever seen to actual game journalism. i picked up the first 4 years or so on ebay recently for like $30 shipped because pretty much no one checks for it anymore, which is kind've a shame. it's crazy seeing interviews with Howard, Kalinske etc where they're getting their balls busted going into the 32 bit era, haha.

Gamefan was awesome. I hated Nick Rox though. Transparent asshole.

to be fair, the man bravely risked it all to tell the world about the terrible blue shadows, but we just weren't ready to hear it.

related: i'm totally hitting up the marketplace sometime (when i can) to see if anyone's selling old issues of Gamefan! PM me if so, i love those things.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I never had the money for gaming magazines when I was a preteen/teenager, but read PC Gamer religiously in college. Now I try to buy every issue of Retro Gamer off of the news stand. I end up missing some of them, but you can also download them for iPad for like $5 or so per issue, and the Retro Gamer app is quite nice.

To be honest with high cartridge prices and the abundance of really crappy games which were available in the market back in the days, making savings by not buying gamings mags was false economics IMHO. Nowadays ofc there is the internet etc. but back then without the magazines buying a new game was like walking a minefield.

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
I actually miss buying games based on the cover of the box. I liked scanning the giant wall at ToysRus and picking out the flyer. It was a crap shoot, but as a child who only was able to get games a few times a year, I would play those games to death regardless of what Gamepro or EGM said about them.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Back then the only way to sample all the games is to go for video game rentals, only the ones that are truly attention grabbing are bought at retail price.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Back then the only way to sample all the games is to go for video game rentals, only the ones that are truly attention grabbing are bought at retail price.

This wasn't really an option in Europe - in the UK I recall Nintendo was effectively blocking rentals by suing anybody who even tried to go down this road; some Sega games where available for rental through the Blockbuster video rental chain - but that was rather late in the game and only a small selection of titles. THere were video game swaping companies advertised in the video game magazines and I guess thats what some people did when they finished a particular game. Myself, I always really researched / read up on the games I wanted to buy and in effect for all the games I had were A-list titles which got plenty of action even after I completed them,

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
This wasn't really an option in Europe - in the UK I recall Nintendo was effectively blocking rentals by suing anybody who even tried to go down this road; some Sega games where available for rental through the Blockbuster video rental chain - but that was rather late in the game and only a small selection of titles. THere were video game swaping companies advertised in the video game magazines and I guess thats what some people did when they finished a particular game. Myself, I always really researched / read up on the games I wanted to buy and in effect for all the games I had were A-list titles which got plenty of action even after I completed them,

Nintendo tried suing left and right here, too. But the rulings were against them most of the time - the most famous case was probably against Galoob, who was able to market the Game Genie.

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I don't know why I didn't think to post this before, but if anyone interested in this thread hasn't already listened to it, you should.

http://alifewellwasted.com/2009/01/23/episode-one-the-death-of-egm/

hadn't heard this one before, grabbing now - thanks!
i wish there was more info on this stuff. as i recall retronauts had one on GamePro and i forget what else, i don't find anyone talking about Game Players, Next Generation or GameFan (maybe Warning A Huge Podcast might?)