The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
At my work in each case a youth in our care has got Covid I’m about 95% sure they’ve got it from an adult.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
He’s really invested in Fortune Magazine’s covid opinions.

I could have linked to NYT articles citing the same statistics but since it's paywalled I didn't.

The stats are real, the longer we fear-monger, the longer we needlessly quarantine thousands of children for exposure to a disease that has never put them at serious risk.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I could have linked to NYT articles citing the same statistics but since it's paywalled I didn't.

The stats are real, the longer we fear-monger, the longer we needlessly quarantine thousands of children for exposure to a disease that has never put them at serious risk.

Still seems like a very narrow 1 dimensional view of the risk in exposing children to the disease.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I have a 3 1/2 hour in-person meeting on Thursday. I'll be in my mask the whole time.

lithy

20 Year Member
Still seems like a very narrow 1 dimensional view of the risk in exposing children to the disease.

But that's kinda the point, children have been exposed but have not shown to be significant infection or transmission vectors. The whole toddlers killing grandma thing is unsupported by the evidence.

And I find the oversimplified view that our children are better off out of school because of the potential immediate impact of illness to be a very narrow one-dimensional view of risk. These children are losing years of education. The ones that were already at risk because of a lack of resources or parental support are going to be quite screwed in the long run. These effects are not immediately visible but will be compounding effects for a generation to come.

And even for adults, this idea that we are better off to avoid doing anything lest we become a part of the infected is leading to some negative choices like avoiding medical care.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
You aren’t at masks 100% of the time at work?
Actually ya it is now....I think that formally went into place in Boston at the end of last week. I havent been in the office for the past few weeks.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
But that's kinda the point, children have been exposed but have not shown to be significant infection or transmission vectors. The whole toddlers killing grandma thing is unsupported by the evidence.

And I find the oversimplified view that our children are better off out of school because of the potential immediate impact of illness to be a very narrow one-dimensional view of risk. These children are losing years of education. The ones that were already at risk because of a lack of resources or parental support are going to be quite screwed in the long run. These effects are not immediately visible but will be compounding effects for a generation to come.

And even for adults, this idea that we are better off to avoid doing anything lest we become a part of the infected is leading to some negative choices like avoiding medical care.

This is kind of hilarious, especially from a libertarian. Public school is mostly just a day care center to facilitate two adults generating tax income for the state. The collateral risks of covid19 exposed children is that they will spread the disease to immunocompromised adults who might lower their guard for family members. Think about the father with health issues who gets covid from his kids, who got it from the school teacher.

Placing all the focus on the rate of hospitalization for children is disingenuous, and falls flat in the wake of rising infections across the country.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
That’s exactly our concern. Of course I don’t want my kids to get Covid...but the real problem is if they get it and pass it on to me. That won’t be good...

Last year we had options (like remote education). This year, nothing. I did look briefly into a private school close by until I learned tuition was $40k+ per student...

We could home school, but...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My kids are going to school full time. I just want them to do everything they can to mitigate the risks.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
The patriots calling the shots in Utah successfully made it illegal for schools to require students to wear masks. No online options, back to business as usual. My daughter started kindergarten last week. She and 4 or 5 other kids in her class wear masks. Fingers crossed, I guess.

lithy

20 Year Member
This is kind of hilarious, especially from a libertarian. Public school is mostly just a day care center to facilitate two adults generating tax income for the state.

Right, the classic, 'better stop using the roads then, hurr-durr' argument.

I thought public education was the only way toward equity. That education is a human right. That without public education, the poor and disadvantaged are doomed to a servile life at the mercies of the private school elite. You're telling me it's just state-sponsored day care? Damn, so much for reaching the liberal utopia of free college.

If you're ready to abolish public education, I'm right there with you. Like I mentioned somewhere else in this thread, plenty of parents in already awful, urban districts are seeing further deterioration of quality and reluctant or outright antagonistic timelines for a return to full-time, in-person schooling and are seeking better education options for their kids because of this. Yet many of the worst performing districts like Pittsburgh and Wilkinsburg are in the top ten (maybe even top five, too last to look) in per-student spending in the state. It's just a grift and protection racket like most publicly operated programs. The day care is ancillary.

lithy

20 Year Member
My kids are going to school full time. I just want them to do everything they can to mitigate the risks.

Can you briefly describe what your ideal school looks like? Everything the can do would be to send them all home and do remote learning again. So where is your line?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Right, the classic, 'better stop using the roads then, hurr-durr' argument.

I thought public education was the only way toward equity. That education is a human right. That without public education, the poor and disadvantaged are doomed to a servile life at the mercies of the private school elite. You're telling me it's just state-sponsored day care? Damn, so much for reaching the liberal utopia of free college.

If you're ready to abolish public education, I'm right there with you. Like I mentioned somewhere else in this thread, plenty of parents in already awful, urban districts are seeing further deterioration of quality and reluctant or outright antagonistic timelines for a return to full-time, in-person schooling and are seeking better education options for their kids because of this. Yet many of the worst performing districts like Pittsburgh and Wilkinsburg are in the top ten (maybe even top five, too last to look) in per-student spending in the state. It's just a grift and protection racket like most publicly operated programs. The day care is ancillary.
Do you feel that elementary through high school prepared you for the job you have today? Most jobs don’t really require much intelligence. Those that do, the intelligence largely comes from college level education. And even then, you’re looking at a smaller percentage of participants than preteen c19 fatalities.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Where did this happen?

it’s what Moe has been implying for a while.

Am I the only person who cares about the welfare of members here? That would suck. (For the members, because I am a terrible caregiver).

neo_mao

15 Year Member
If anything happens to me will you guys get my kids something nice for Eid?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Lithy, have you tried the horse goo yet? Let me know how it works when you do.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Can you briefly describe what your ideal school looks like? Everything the can do would be to send them all home and do remote learning again. So where is your line?

When I wrote "going to school full time" I meant "In Person".

I did have a list of mitigation measures that I would like to see done such as:

1. Keep classes (particularly elementary) within thier class bubble to facility quarantining and contact tracing.
2. Particularly avoid large gatherings (part of #1) such as assemblies and field trips.
3. Limit outside visitors (use remote for meetings/etc).
4. Universal masking except when needed (eating, speech pathology).
5. More time outside when possible.
6. smaller class/bus sizes.
7. Whatever else the Tompkins County Department of Health Recommends.