The Dreamcast didn't have to die part 2 - Model 2 vs M2 in 1996 - 12/23

Hairlesswookiee

just another sazae fake account
I think what did Sega in was the Saturn. Although I love the Saturn and think it had awesome games. The success of the Playstation left everyone in anticipation for the PS2 and that's what the majority held out for.

Also adding the Xbox to the mix didn't help much either. The Dreamcast is a great console and has a ton of arcade goodness but not having that dvd drive didn't help at all. Games like Grand Theft Auto, Devil May Cry, God of War, Final Fantasy X just wasn't going happen on the DC unless they put out like 3+ discs for some of those games. Plus alot of the DC arcade games were available also on the ps2.

The arcade scene was also dieing and most players were gravitating towards those large open world type games. I like the DC but it never had a chance.
Yeah I completely agree with the thought of not having a DVD drive really hurting their sales once the PS2 launched. I was 100% invested in the DC and took the day off of work so I could go stand in line for the early opening of Electronics Boutique. For the 6 months prior I went in every payday to pay off a little bit more of the pre-orders I had so when it came time I could just show up with my ID and receipts and leave with my gear. Damn that was a good time.