The Formula One topic

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Another retro F1 Lotus posting...Senna's pole position qualifying lap at Adelaide in 1985 in the JPS Lotus 97T.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
For ratson and wataru...look at this... :D

f11985.jpg

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Holy shit, that is fucking awesome ratson...how old is that?

Is it the Lotus 49?

I scored the complete set for 7 bucks at a fleemarket, with track expansion:D
I am not sure about the cars one of them is a Lotus(it is a red one in the box), will have to check the box for that. As far as I know this set was sold in '67/'68. I have the catalogue that came with it back then. I put that in another box with the spares and powersupply. I should hook it up sometime. Even though I have a 90ft Ninco slotrace track together with my best friend.
Been some time since we used that. Been to busy both.
Thanks for that Jim Clark photo. I don't know that much about classic F1 but always leave the tv on if there is some old footage shown. I did like the cigarette days better too.
I am going to print that Jim Clark pic and frame it to put up on the wall.
You have a lot of awesome footage btw.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
F1 Fanatic – The Formula 1 Blog F1 quitters return to racing elsewhere in 2012

14th February 2012, 12:30 by Keith Collantine

When the global financial crisis began to bite, F1 was rocked by a series of departures by major car manufacturers.

First Honda pulled the plug on its F1 team at the end of 2008. Within 12 months BMW and Toyota had followed suit.

This trio are embarking on major new racing projects in 2012 – but not in F1. Why have they chosen to make their comebacks in other series?

Honda

Honda took over the former BAR team in 2006, but struggled in the two seasons that followed with a pair of disastrously uncompetitive cars.

Even so, it was a considerable shock when, on December 4th, 2008, the team announced its withdrawal from the sport after just three years as a fully-fledged constructor.

Since then Honda has enjoyed some success in the British Touring Car Championship, with Matt Neal winning the series last year at the wheel of a Civic.

Honda will step up its campaign in 2012, entering its new Civic in the FIA’s World Touring Car Championship. This is a major boost for the series, which last year had just Chevrolet as a manufacturer entrant.

The 12-round calendar takes teams as far afield as Brazil, USA, Japan, China and Macau, with the remaining races in Europe.

One of the obvious appeals of touring car racing to manufacturers is the clear resemblance between the racing cars and showroom models. With Honda’s car range increasingly centred on family vehicles rather than performance models, racing in the WTCC makes sense.

BMW

BMW came close to tasting championship success on its return to F1 as an engine supplier with Williams in the early 2000s. After taking over Sauber, Robert Kubica was in the hunt for the 2008 crown until the latter stages of the season.

After an uncompetitive 2009 the team pulled the plug on its F1 campaign. But even as it was making its departure from F1, BMW stressed that it would “continue to be actively involved in other motor sports series”.

BMW scrapped its WTCC team at the end of 2010 but will return to touring car racing this year. It will compete against its principle market rivals Mercedes and Audi in the DTM (Germany’s touring car championship) with a version of its M3.

BMW’s reasons for leaving F1 were hotly debated at the time. The cost of competing in F1, the move towards more efficient engines, and various rows involving Max Mosley and Bernie Ecclestone were touted as likely contributing factors.

What does its move into the DTM tell us about its racing priorities? It seems practical business considerations such as reducing costs and competing against key market rivals have trumped other concerns, such as a desire to be seen producing more efficient and environmentally responsible cars.

Toyota

Just three days after the 2009 F1 season ended, Toyota made the sudden announcement that it was ending its F1 programme.

This was hardly a great surprise. No wins from 139 starts in eight years was not the kind of return they expected given the vast sums spent on the team.

Their Cologne base is now being used for an entry in the new World Endurance Championship including a two-car effort at the Le Mans 24 Hours. The turnaround would likely have been even quicker had it not been for last year’s tsunami in Japan, which forced the postponement of their programme.

It is surely significant that Toyota, having described the F1 Kinetic Energy Recovery System as “really primitive”, raced without the device in 2009 year despite selling the successful Prius hybrid road car, and is now set to race a more advanced hybrid in the WEC.
Where will F1′s new teams come from?

It’s not just manufacturers previously involved in F1 who are choosing to compete elsewhere.

The forthcoming new rules for 2014 would seem an ideal time for a new manufacturer to take the plunge. But as yet there is no sign any of them will.

There have been the usual murmurings of interest from the Volkswagen Group, but a potential entrance was at one point suggested as being as far off as 2018.

It may be that the conspicuous lack of success of new teams which entered in 2010 have served to discourage others. The 13th slot on the grid remains vacant.

Nor should we underestimate the important of more prosaic considerations. I wonder how any car manufacturer – particularly luxury builders who sell their cars partly on their aesthetics – can be happy to put their badge on the modern generation of disfigured F1 machines.

History has shown F1 courts manufacturer interest at its peril for they tend to come and go as they please. Honda and BMW’s teams only survived as Brawn (now Mercedes) and Sauber thanks to the efforts of individuals like Ross Brawn, Nick Fry and Peter Sauber.

Toyota scrapped their F1 entry despite having already built a car for the new season. Such an abrupt pull-out is hardly unusual – Peugeot’s withdrawal from the WEC, a championship they had lobbied the FIA to set up, came as its team had already begun pre-season testing, and was so hurried its drivers learned the news from journalists.

But if car manufacturers can’t be enticed to enter F1, and teams in junior categories like GP2 and Formula Renault 3.5 seldom if ever make the step up to F1, then where are the teams of the future going to come from?

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/02/14/f1-quitters-return-racing-2012/

DangerousK

20 Year Member
It's being reported that Rubens Barrichello has been signed to race in IRL for 2012.

I will definitely be watching IRL this year. :)

Glad to see Rubens will still be involved in open-wheel racing even if it is not F1. I saw a video of him testing one of the IRL cars...he looked solid as ever. Was just carving up the corners like nothing.

I actually like the chassis designs for the IRL 2012 season personally.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Another picture of Jim Clark for ratson...I like this one even more...I give to you Jim Clark at Brand's Hatch, 1967. :)

jimclark_lotus_brandshatch_1967.jpg

DangerousK

20 Year Member
While not technically F1 news, it's still related to an ex-F1 driver.

The 2012 running of the Indianapolis 500 will see long-time F1 driver, Jean Alesi at the young age of 47 on the grid.

He drove for Tyrrell, Ferrari, Benetton, Prost, Sauber, and Jordan during his 12 year career in F1. He still does race elsewhere. While he never had a great deal of success in F1 (only 1 grand prix victory) he will always be remembered fondly.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Another video clip...probably one of, if not the most spectacular battle in F1 history. 1979 French Grand Prix...ungodly battle between Rene Arnoux and the great Gilles Villeneuve.

Salut Gilles

DangerousK

20 Year Member
ShadowHawk is an epic loser who needs to get banned.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
The last couple of days have seen some robust defence of the F1 Grand Prix in Bahrain.

The sport’s commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone has briefed some of the Fleet Street (UK newspaper) journalists that the teams are 100% behind it and the FIA has also said that it thinks the event would help to heal tensions in the country. This is despite a return of violence to the streets of the country, on the anniversary of the Day of Rage. So what are we to make of it, with two months to go to the event?

Attention now focusses on the teams, to see whether their appetite to race in Bahrain is as strong as Ecclestone suggests. All eyes will focus particularly on McLaren’s team principal Martin Whitmarsh who put his signature to the letter last autumn telling the FIA that the teams would not attend a rescheduled 2011 event. McLaren’s main shareholder is the Bahraini investment fund Mumtalakat and Whitmarsh’s actions did not endear him to his paymasters last time.

This time things are different on a number of levels: the F1 Teams’ Association, of which Whitmarsh is also chairman, now represents only 8 of the 12 F1 teams. And the Bahraini regime believes that it has done enough with an independent review of the troubles of 2011 and some implementation of its findings, to set the country on the road to change. Opposition groups disagree and are still protesting. So who are we to believe?

There is clearly good and bad on both sides.

Tuesday marked the first anniversary of the ‘Day of Rage’, when pro-democracy demonstrations in the country begun and which prompted a bloody crackdown by the authorities.

On Monday night there was a fresh flare-up of hostilities between protestors and security forces in villages on the outskirts of the capital Manama. Youths were reported to have thrown petrol bombs at police cars, with the police responding with tear gas and rubber bullets.

The kingdom’s response to the trouble was to deploy armoured vehicles in Manama and the surrounding areas for the first time since martial law in the country was lifted last June, although further clashes were reported near the focal point of last year’s protests, the former Pearl Roundabout.

Although the renewed violence hasn’t been on the scale of 12 months ago, the events of the last two days have not gone unnoticed at the UN whose Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon issued a statement in which he voiced concern over the latest escalation of trouble and called for restraint from both sides.

The response from the F1 authorities to both the action on the streets and to the letter from Members of the UK parliament calling for the FIA to call the event off – has also been firm; both Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA say that the April 22 Grand Prix will go ahead as scheduled.

Ecclestone told the Guardian: “I expected there was going to be a big uprising today, with the anniversary. But I think what happened, apparently, was that here were a lot of kids having a go at the police. I don’t think it’s anything serious at all.

“It doesn’t change our position in any shape or form. If the people in Bahrain [the government] say, ‘Look Bernie, it wouldn’t be good for you to come over here,’ then I would think again. That is what they said last year.”

Meanwhile, the FIA, who were criticised for its handling of last year’s situation when the season-opening race was postponed, reinstated and then eventually cancelled altogether following opposition from the teams, said in a statement that it “like many in the diplomatic community in the kingdom, the main political opposition…believes the staging of a Grand Prix would be beneficial in bridging some of the difficulties Bahrain is experiencing”.

That viewpoint had also been made by an all-party group of UK MPs in a letter to The Times, which was contrary to a letter written by members of the House of Lords to the same newspaper last week which urged F1 not to return to Bahrain yet.

Given the state of play at the moment, it’s inevitable that the opposition will take the opportunity to make its point when F1 comes to town, not by disrupting the event because it will be easy for the authorities to secure the circuit, but downtown, where the teams, media and sponsors’ guests stay. It’s a prospect that few relish.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/02/f1-authorities-rally-to-support-bahrain-gp/

This really disappoints me that Bernie wants to go back to Bahrain...I hope somehow it doesn't happen.

I already think Bernie is an epic piece of shit...this just further cements his reputation as a greedy prick.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Jarno Trulli got tossed from Caterham, and was replaced by Vitaly Petrov today.

I said elsewhere, Bernie probably sprayed a bottle of Moet all over his office upon hearing that.

He wanted Petrov to have a seat with the upcoming Russian Grand Prix in 2013.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Get out of this thread.

Your Fiero has nothing to do with Formula 1, hit the car enthusiast topic if you want to show it off.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Arent formula 1 cars Mid engine? Well the Pontiac Fiero GT is the ONLY american mid engine production car ever made, so it is rather relevant to the topic in terms of drive axles.

Anyways, I shall leave my friend. Didnt mean to get you mad.

F1 cars are not production cars.

Some technical aspects can show up in road cars.

Sports car racing has more in common with production road cars.

The Ford GT and the Saleen S7 were mid-engine as well

Good bye.

DangerousK

20 Year Member

Hi.

Anyway, with Jarno Trulli getting tossed from Caterham, this will be the first Formula 1 season since 1969 to not feature an Italian driver on the grid.

Kind of disappointing to me.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Hi.

Anyway, with Jarno Trulli getting tossed from Caterham, this will be the first Formula 1 season since 1969 to not feature an Italian driver on the grid.

Kind of disappointing to me.

Another vet I liked, gone. :^(

I used to catch the 'Inside F1' shows on Speed Channel. Basic network TV magazine format; brief op-ed of a race weekend City, tech talk, and pilot profile. Trulli's profile was really good, and helped make me a fan of his.

Hope he lands on his feet.

In other pilot related talk: anyone catch the latest on Kubica? Will he be back? If so, w/whom?

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Another vet I liked, gone. :^(

I used to catch the 'Inside F1' shows on Speed Channel. Basic network TV magazine format; brief op-ed of a race weekend City, tech talk, and pilot profile. Trulli's profile was really good, and helped make me a fan of his.

Hope he lands on his feet.

In other pilot related talk: anyone catch the latest on Kubica? Will he be back? If so, w/whom?

All accounts I've heard of Trulli is that he was one of the legitimate nice guys in F1. No one had a bad thing to say about him. I don't really care for him getting bumped for Petrov. It might turn out to be the right move for Caterham though so it is hard to say. I give Trulli props though because he was very gracious towards Caterham after he got dropped. I'd have a hard time being so gracious, but who knows maybe we will see him again in F1. I just wonder what race series he will wind up in now.

Kubica is a walking calamity lol. I feel bad for the guy because he can't seem to avoid getting injured. He's a hell of a driver, and it'd be nice to see him back on the grid.

I'm certain he will be back because he's rated too highly for him to not get picked up when 100% again. Right now I believe as soon as he heals up, and barring any further injuries, he is going to be testing for Ferrari during 2012. I think we will likely see him driving for Ferrari in 2013 since everyone knows Massa is finished there after this season. I really am salivating at the possibility of Ferrari having both Alonso and Kubica on the grid in their cars. I couldn't cheer on Ferrari when Schumacher was there. I really dislike Schumacher tremendously because he is a cheater. I don't like seeing cheaters drive for teams with the racing heritage that Ferrari has. It's unbecoming if you ask me.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
wataru-

On a F1 forum, someone made the comment that they felt old because they remember Trulli being on the grid in 1997 along with Schumacher.

So I replied and go, "What does it say when I can remember Schumacher racing in the 7-Up car for Eddie Jordan back in 1991?" lol

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Trulli & barrichello were 2-3 years overdue for retirement. Good riddance to them i say.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Trulli & barrichello were 2-3 years overdue for retirement. Good riddance to them i say.

Not too far from the truth.

Rubens had his time...good memories but was never a top tier driver.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Mercedes unveiled their W03 today.

Here are some pictures...

merc_schu_rosb_2012.jpg

mercedes_w03_2012_7.jpg

mercedes_w03_2012_6.jpg

mercedes_w03_2012_5.jpg

It's going to be interesting to see how this car performs now that it has DRS for 2012. Should keep the drivers from getting overtaken as easily as they did last season since they couldn't maintain position very well against DRS-equipped cars.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
A lot of people are whining about pay drivers on the F1 teams without understanding that it historically has always been something that occurs.

I came across a listing of what the rough estimates in Euros for the various guys who are viewed as getting a seat on the grid solely to sponsors putting up large amounts of cash to get them a seat.

The current list of pay drivers is as follows:

Grosjean - €18m from Total to Lotus F1 team
Di Resta - €8.5m from White & McKay and some say there is a €4.5m subsidy from Mercedes
Hulkenberg - €6m from two sponsors
Perez - €30m from Telmex and other various sponsors who have came to Sauber via Telmex sponsorship of the team
Maldonado - €35.4m from PDVSA (This is a known figure)
Senna - €21m from 5 diffrent companies/brands
Petrov - €15m from Russian backers
Karthikeyan - €8m from TATA and Hero Motors
Pic - €20m from family buisness that is the haulier of Total fuels in France.

Per Pastor Maldonado, someone posted a picture of the invoice for Williams F1 where it stated Williams was paid around €29 million by just the Venezuelan petrol company. The other €6 million are from other sponsors.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Times from day 1 of testing at Circuit de Catalunya...

1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault RB8 1’23.265 79
2 Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes VJM05 1’23.440 97 0.175
3 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes MP4-27 1’23.590 114 0.325
4 Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari STR7 1’23.618 76 0.353
5 Fernando Alonso Ferrari F2012 1’24.100 75 0.835
6 Michael Schumacher Mercedes W03 1’24.150 51 0.885
7 Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari C31 1’24.219 66 0.954
8 Bruno Senna Williams-Renault FW34 1’25.711 97 2.446
9 Heikki Kovalainen Caterham-Renault CT01 1’26.035 31 2.770
10 Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault E20 1’26.809 7 3.544
11 Charles Pic Marussia-Cosworth MVR-02 1’28.026 121 4.761

Yes the Red Bull is on top...but before people decide to start raging already, there is no way of knowing whether the Red Bull-Renault is still the car to beat this year. I think the banning of the exhaust blown diffusers could prove to be the great equalizer...unless someone figures out a way to really make good use of the exhaust blowing on the rear wings now. So far through all of the Jerez testing, and now Catalunya, I'm not sure if Red Bull is going to have a walk in the park or if they will have to really fight it out for once.