The Formula One topic

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Philippe Adams is the only name you need in f1.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Thanks, DK. You ever check out the Speed Channel retrospective shows, "Formula One Decade"?

Varsha & Hobbs would mst3k (w/out the blatant mocking-satire; although, often humorous) old F1 races...

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Thanks, DK. You ever check out the Speed Channel retrospective shows, "Formula One Decade"?

Varsha & Hobbs would mst3k (w/out the blatant mocking-satire; although, often humorous) old F1 races...

Yes, it was a short-lived show sadly, lasting only a couple of years. I liked both Varsha and Hobbs...they are very knowledgeable about things. It was great to hear them give insight into a decade old race about something that no one knew at the time. Their Monaco 1993 re-broadcast in 2003, they mentioned what specifically the problems were Alain Prost had with his Williams during the race. He stalled multiple times in the pits, and they mentioned that it was only after the race when the car was broken up they found a faulty driveshaft. He had no issues once the car got moving, but from a dead stop, Alain had tons of issues with it.

Speed Channel blows now...it's become the number one mouthpiece for NASCAR. Their average television schedule consists mostly of NASCAR news/roundtables, retarded reality shows no one gives a shit about, the umpteenth Barrett-Jackson auction, and occasionally some other stuff meaning F1. I have a fear that one day F1 might not get shown there any longer, and if that were the case, I have no idea if anyone in the US would pick it up. ESPN used to broadcast F1 years ago, but I doubt they would ever broadcast it again. Speed also killed off almost all of their international race series footage. I used to catch MotoGP on there maybe 7-8 years back. They might sometimes show Aussie V8 supercars. I think you used to be able to sometimes catch the DTM as well.

It's really disappointing because they aren't the same channel any longer. At least NBC Sports Network will be broadcasting IRL, which for the first time ever I am looking forward to due to Rubens Barichello racing this season.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
My girlfriend says thank you, she is a Formula 1 fan just like me. Actually even more hardcore than me and was born in 1984 :)

Tell her I said you're welcome!

I have plenty more races to pick from to upload onto YouTube lol.

I probably will change them to private so you need the link to get there since again, Formula One Management is filled with a bunch of dickheads who troll YouTube to pull down any full-race footage people stick up there. I didn't put any tags on the Monaco 1984 upload because I don't need one of their employees stumbling across it. I will probably only stick to putting up the better quality footage I have...some of the quality is blah. It's good enough for me because I needed it for more for the historical aspect, than for the sole enjoyment factor. Not to say I don't get great enjoyment out of it, but it's awesome to see a discussion about something where I can then pull up the full race to see. Or if I need to correct people whose memories have gotten a bit foggy. LOL

One of the cool races I do have is the 1981 German Grand Prix at the Hockenheimring. Why it is cool? Because that was the final year F1 raced without the chicane before the Ostkurve. Of course now it doesn't matter since the entire section in the woods is long gone. :(

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Thanks for the video Dangerousk, ive never seen that one in full. I have Monaco on tape from a few years before that when Gilles Villeneuve won.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Thanks for the video Dangerousk, ive never seen that one in full. I have Monaco on tape from a few years before that when Gilles Villeneuve won.

You're welcome Mot!

Any chance you'll be going to Melbourne in 10 days?

theMot

10 Year Member
No, not this year. I live in Sydney so it's kind of pricey by the time you factor it air fares, accomodation etc. Basically have to make a holiday out of it and I've been to Melbourne quite a few times in the past anyway. If I do another one soon I'll likely go to one of the Asian races as I haven't been to any of those.

What about you Dangerousk, you getting on Texas later this year? If you've never been to the Montreal race you so get to that for sure, one of the best races and events there is. Not to mention Montreal is a fantastic place to visit. I went to that in 2002 and has a great time. Managed to get out to the Villeneuve meuseum while I was there too which was great.

Last edited:

DangerousK

20 Year Member
No, not this year. I live in Sydney so it's kind of pricey by the time you factor it air fares, accomodation etc. Basically have to make a holiday out of it and I've been to Melbourne quite a few times in the past anyway. If I do another one soon I'll likely go to one of the Asian races as I haven't been to any of those.

What about you Dangerousk, you getting on Texas later this year? If you've never been to the Montreal race you so get to that for sure, one of the best races and events there is. Not to mention Montreal is a fantastic place to visit. I went to that in 2002 and has a great time. Managed to get out to the Villeneuve meuseum while I was there too which was great.

I wish the Australian GP was still at Adelaide...absolutely loved that circuit.

But I do enjoy Albert Park as well...it still doesn't have the same feel that Adelaide had all those years.

Which Asian race(s) were you thinking of hitting up?

Texas will be out for me...I don't have the time to go travel down there much as I'd like to. I'm not entirely digging the circuit design...I have no doubt it will be a fantastic facility...it's just another Tilkedrome as far as I am concerned. Tilke tracks all blow. It'd be like using one golf course architect to design every course the PGA Tour visits. So dumb on so many levels. There should be no F1 races in Asia outside of Suzuka or perhaps Fiji. Australia is fine with me. The bulk of the races should be in Europe with the rest sprinkled across North and South America. Wouldn't mind seeing the South African GP make a return to Kyalami though.

I am going to try to see if I can get up to Montreal in 2013 for the GP and then hit the Grand Prix in New Jersey since that race will be very close to me as I live in NJ.

How was the Villeneuve Museum? Do they have any of Gilles' F1 cars there?

theMot

10 Year Member
I would like to go to Suzuka or Singapore would be good too. Im going to China next month for business for the first time, if I like it I would consider going there too. Hell, I would go to the Iraq GP if there was one. I just like travelling.

Don't be too hard on Tilke. I was reading an interesting interview he did last month and his explaination of why the tracks he designs are crap is because he's basically given a piece of land and a budget and told to make a circuit. He can't design something like Spa because it would require moving mountains of dirt which is costly and no good from an environmental aspect. In the old days either the government or some rich boys kicked the can and just said "Here make us a track" and they didn't have things like budgets or greenies to keep happy. That's basically how we ended up with tracks in the middle of forests. It just wouldn't happen now.

At the GV meuseum they have all sorts of stuff. including a car or two of his and a snow mobil. I have also been to the Ferrari meuseum in Maranello, now thats something you have to see before you die! Fantastic.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Horner confirms ‘B-spec’ RB8 will go to Melbourne

Horner confirms ‘B-spec’ RB8 will go to Melbourne by James Allen

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has confirmed that his team will run with the revised RB8 chassis rolled out for the final two days of the final test in Barcelona at next week’s season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

In a dramatic piece of Formula 1 winter showmanship last Saturday morning at the Circuit de Catalunya, the world champions unveiled what effectively amounted to a ‘B’ chassis which had been flown in from the UK the previous night with the most obvious changes new front and rear wings, rear aerodynamics, new diffuser and a new exhaust layout.

With the exhaust layout, and therefore flow of gasses over the rear of the car, particularly different to that on the launch-spec RB8 it was therefore somewhat disappointing for the team that on the final day of the test Sebastian Vettel completed a measly 23 laps following a morning off and then a gearbox problem.

But speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live this morning, Horner said the revised car had been running well when on track – which was just 93 laps in total – and therefore the revisions would now be taken to the first race.

Asked about whether the ‘new’ car would be shipped to Melbourne, he said: “It’s amazing how these things get construed. We introduced another car in Barcelona because it had an update package which was always the plan. All the major teams introduced quite a major update prior to the first race and you leave it late because you don’t want the concepts to be copied by your competitors.

“Those upgrades seem to be working okay and they’ll certainly be on the car in Australia in 10 days’ time.”

Interestingly, at the end of the interview, Horner also plumped for Jenson Button when asked for the driver he thought would pose the biggest threat to Vettel’s attempts to win a hat-trick of world titles.

Asked for a driver aside from his own team’s Mark Webber who he thought would push the German hardest, he replied: “Lewis is going to be pushing hard this year, it’s an important year for him. Jenson Button had a great year last year. Fernando Alonso you can’t rule out, he’s a world class driver, and it will be interesting to see how Kimi Raikkonen fares on his return.” But when pressed to give one name, he said: “Probably Jenson.”

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/03/horner-confirms-b-spec-rb8-ready-to-race-in-melbourne/

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Here's another video for everyone, enjoy!!

The 1985 San Marino Grand Prix!

DangerousK

20 Year Member
One of my favorite pictures....Ayrton on his way to victory at Monaco in 1991 in the McLaren MP 4/6.

mclaren-1991-senna-monaco.jpg

DangerousK

20 Year Member
1987 Belgian Grand Prix. Sorry about the language being Japanese...nothing I can do!

DangerousK

20 Year Member
We are a few days away from the season finally starting.

Anyone planning to watch the Australian GP live? It airs at 2:30AM Sunday morning here in the USA...I will definitely be up for it.

Let's make some predictions for the race on who will win the Pole Position and who will win the actual race...even if it's a far-fetched prediction share it! Plus share who you might think will be on the podium at the end of the race.

My picks...

Pole Position: Nico Rosberg
Race Winner: Jenson Button

Podium Prediction: Button, Vettel, and Rosberg

I am thinking we may see some good stuff out of Paul di Resta who I thought drove some good races last season. I'm actually hoping Force India makes a strong showing this season...love their livery. He is my dark horse pick for the podium.

In the mid-field I am hoping to see something out of Maldonado and Senna so we can get an idea if this is going to be another disappointing season for Williams F1. I think Williams may be unveiling a new livery for the FW34 on Thursday or Friday.

HRT and Marussia will be occupying the bottom of the grid for the entire season so they don't count as teams. :lolz:

I also can't wait to see what Kimi Raikkonen does because I want to see if he still has it, or if he is for all intents and purposes, finished as a true top competitor.

I hope Lewis and Schumacher crash into one another on the first lap Sunday.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I'll be DVRing it, for sure.

Would love to see some new blood in the hunt for constructor's pts, along w/ some variety on the podium.

The Vettle fingerbang show needs to be canceled; no 3peat plz. Yeah, I'm hatin'...and, just sayin'. ^_^

Haven't followed testing close enough to make worthwhile predictions.

However, I can say that I think Rosberg, Kobayashi, and DiResta are on the come-up this season. Time will tell, ne?

Last edited:

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I am watching it live, I always do, no matter what time it is. I have no idea about the first race. I secretly hope Lotus will end up on the podium, highly unlikely to happen though.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
I'll be DVRing it, for sure.

Would love to see some new blood in the hunt for constructor's pts, along w/ some variety on the podium.

The Vettle fingerbang show needs to be canceled; no 3peat plz. Yeah, I'm hatin'...and, just sayin'. ^_^

Haven't followed testing close enough to make worthwhile predictions.

However, I can say that I think Rosberg, Kobayashi, and DiResta are on the come-up this season. Time will tell, ne?

Pretty much my thought too....I hate Vettel. I think he likely will be on the podium, but as long as he isn't the winner I'll be ok with that.

I hope all 3 you mentioned put in great seasons...there were some rumors of Kobayashi going to Ferrari in 2013 not too long ago. I have my doubts on it...I think Kubica will definitely be driving for Ferrari...hope Alonso is too...that would be a hell of a team to have. Of course they need to have a competitive car for that matter.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
I am watching it live, I always do, no matter what time it is. I have no idea about the first race. I secretly hope Lotus will end up on the podium, highly unlikely to happen though.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Kimi on there...like I said, at this point, I will be cheering for anyone who beats Vettel lol.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Australian GP qualifying at 2AM EST. I am going to try to catch it on TV to see what happens.

The practice session was interesting to say the least, but I don't know what any of it really means. Schumacher did set the best time in the 2nd session, but given the track conditions it may have just been a one off situation. The Red Bulls didn't do much, but I think they may have been sandbagging like usual. However I am hoping they aren't as fast as they were last season. Force India put on a good showing too as did Ferrari. In Ferrari's case I think they may still be unknown because it's hard to say how they will hold up over an entire race since they were staying out for less time than anyone else.

HRT is L-O-L.

I can't believe they are even allowed on the grid...total embarrassment.

F1 needs to get a 13th team onto the grid though...really would like to see 26 cars lining up out there.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Ouch. The Vettel hate in here is palpable.
...Good!
icon14.gif

I know I waited a long time to get into this thread, but truth be told, I've been cheering for McLaren-based teams since I first started watching F1 in the days of Gerhard Berger. That being said, having two drivers I really respect racing (yet again) for McLaren always makes me excited, but I still don't think that Button and Hamilton can do it with the car they've been getting.

I want to think that they're the best drivers in the competition, but after watching an old DVD of Suzuka 2010, something about Vettel just shows to me that he's got less fear on the track and is willing to get closer to the run-off areas, shift sooner, and just overall push his car to a higher level.
icon17.gif
icon17.gif
I hate seeing the same guy win all the time, and (laugh if you must) I hate Red Bull as a company because I drink Rockstar all the time, but the only way I can see my two British buddies beating him is if he beats himself.

theMot

10 Year Member
there were some rumors of Kobayashi going to Ferrari in 2013 not too long ago. I have my doubts on it...I think Kubica will definitely be driving for Ferrari...hope Alonso is too...that would be a hell of a team to have. Of course they need to have a competitive car for that matter.

Kubica will not be coming back. He may get a test seat somewhere but they'll quickly realise he has lost his edge and that will be that.

Mark Webber will be in the Ferrari in 2013 along side Alonso. You saw it here first.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Not sure about Kubica not coming back...he's rated too highly by a lot of people, so I think we will see him on the grid again. Just a matter of where he would go.

Kobayashi has a better shot of getting that second seat IMO lol.

Wouldn't mind seeing Weber there though.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Ouch. The Vettel hate in here is palpable.
...Good!
icon14.gif

I know I waited a long time to get into this thread, but truth be told, I've been cheering for McLaren-based teams since I first started watching F1 in the days of Gerhard Berger. That being said, having two drivers I really respect racing (yet again) for McLaren always makes me excited, but I still don't think that Button and Hamilton can do it with the car they've been getting.

I want to think that they're the best drivers in the competition, but after watching an old DVD of Suzuka 2010, something about Vettel just shows to me that he's got less fear on the track and is willing to get closer to the run-off areas, shift sooner, and just overall push his car to a higher level.
icon17.gif
icon17.gif
I hate seeing the same guy win all the time, and (laugh if you must) I hate Red Bull as a company because I drink Rockstar all the time, but the only way I can see my two British buddies beating him is if he beats himself.

I don't mind seeing the same guy win, it's just Vettel and Schumacher who I hate in general and had a big problem with them winning most of the races in sight.

Vettel is a very good driver. He whines too much though. He's a big fucking baby. As I type this I am watching Q1, and he was already starting with the hand gestures. Total knob polisher. I'd like to rip off both of his index fingers.

McLaren looks really solid in Q1. We'll see what happens in Q2 and Q3. I like McLaren, just not Hamilton. Button I think is fabulous and underrated to a degree. Does a great job of maximizing tire wear...I think it's been said he is the best at maintaining tire wear out of anyone on the grid currently.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Kimi Raikkonen will be starting in 18th on the grid. WOW lol.

The Kimi fans are going to be on a rampage now. :tickled: