The Hobbit Thread.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Actually liked the first movie, saw it on bluray some time ago. First half is pretty slow but it gets alot better later on. Probably gonna wait for the bluray for part 2.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I'm excited. Avoiding trailers etc. to go in with fresh eyes. I am thinking about getting the Hobbit Extended bluray soon - if anyone gets it, let us know how it is!

I just finished watching LotR Extended again and am playing Lord of the Rings War in the North (This week's Humble Bundle 1 dollar! https://www.humblebundle.com/)

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Just bought The Hobbit Extended, but have yet to have time to watch it. This weekend me and the wife should finally have time to sit and enjoy it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Just bought The Hobbit Extended, but have yet to have time to watch it. This weekend me and the wife should finally have time to sit and enjoy it.

Seriously?

How in the name of fuck did they manage an "extended" edition?!?! As if the normal version isn't stretched thin enough with a shit ton of filler to turn a tiny paperback into a trilogy of movies.

Good God...I loved the LotR films but the Hobbit was terrible...WAY to much time-fill, overly long drawn out horse shit...I'm shocked there's an extended edition.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I personally enjoyed the hobbit but did realize there was a ton of filler, particularly with radagast being an actual character instead of a footnote like the original. What is in the extended edition that we havent seen yet?

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
They didn't add much to the extended edition of The Hobbit. The movie is too long to begin with so the EE seems to be a double dip for WB. It is still a good moive but I honestly didn't notice where the extended scenes are, as opposed to the original trilogy's EEs.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I sure hope they don't drag things on like they did with the original trilogy. Probably half of the third movie was "the ending".

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I sure hope they don't drag things on like they did with the original trilogy.

They're using three movies to adapt the shortest Tolkien book they've done so far, when they only used one movie apiece to adapt the much longer LotR books. OF COURSE IT'S GOING TO BE DRAGGED OUT, YOU APE.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Metal_Slug_-_Super_Vehicle-001_-_1996_-_Nazca_Corporation.jpg

Numbah Won!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
How long are you going to keep coasting on past glories? That was a long time ago, Ape.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
LotR wasn't exactly something glorious, either.

Heath

, cheyne stoking
What is in the extended edition that we havent seen yet?

4:10 – Additional footage of Thranduil at Erebor is shown during Bilbo’s voice over about everyone paying homage to the dwarven king.

7:03 – More footage is shown of Smaug flying while he destroys the village.

9:38 – In this additional scene we get to see Peter Jackson’s daughter Katie as a hobbit, along with the film’s production designer Dan Hennah as Old Took. It’s also in this scene that we see a four-year old Bilbo playing with Gandalf as he releases his famous fireworks.

17:26 – In this additional scene we get to see Bilbo walking through Hobbiton and purchasing a piece of fish for dinner. Bilbo is stopped by Mr. Worrywort who shows him his wheelbarrow full of tubers and Bilbo asks him if he’s seen Gandalf around.

23:15 – When the dwarves arrive at Bag End, additional footage is revealed which shows them raiding the pantry as Bilbo continues to become more annoyed with the situation. He also tries to take a bottle of wine from Bifur. They also discuss the ax in Bifur’s head.

1:25:13 – After escaping from the Orcs, additional footage is shown of the company as they make their way to the secret passageway to Rivendell. Bilbo and Gandalf have a dialogue about “feeling” the magic nearby.

1:30:29 – During the eating scene at Rivendell, additional footage is shown of the dwarves eating and Kili is shown trying to get noticed by a beautiful elven harp player seen below.

1:32:48 – Additional footage and dialogue is included which features more of the conversation between Gandalf and Elrond, as they discuss the how Gandalf found the sword Glamdring. Near the end of this additional scene where Bofur jumps onto a plinth next to the table and sings a revised version of a song that Frodo sang in the Prancing Pony in the books.

1:39:03 – This scene shows Bilbo walking around the Last Homely House and also takes a peak at the shards of Narsil, which would later be reforged into the sword that Aragon uses in Return of the King.

1:42:07 – In this additional scene we see Bilbo walking by himself at night and he overhears the discussion that Elrond and Gandalf are having. Some additional dialogue has been added, which explains how Gandalf wants the dwarves to succeed so that it can strengthen their forces in the east. Elrond tells him that it’s dangerous, and Saruman says that there is “a strain of madness (that) runs deep in that family.”

1:45:10 – During the White Council meeting, an additional scene is used to explain the fact that of the seven dwarf rings, four were consumed by dragons, two were taken by Sauron before he died in Mordor. The final ring’s location is unknown, and is Thrain’s ring.

2:04:24 – After the dwarves are captured, Bilbo gets away by falling down the ravine and when the dwarves are taken to the Goblin King he starts singing an extended version of the song in the theatrical release.

2:06:55 – When the goblins are searching the dwarves, they empty out a bag of Elvish cutlery. The Goblin King takes notice as one of the golden candelabras has “Made in Rivendell” written on the back. He makes a remark about the 2nd age and throws it away. The camera pans to Nori and we see that it was he who stole the elvish belongings, and Oin gives him a dirty look.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
LotR wasn't exactly something glorious, either.

It was entertaining. I'm not going to go so far as to call the films a masterpiece...but in an ocean of shit films, it was not too shabby.