The Last of Us

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Is there a thread for this game yet? I looked and found nothing.

Looks pretty awesome to me, even if we haven't seen any gameplay yet. Here's the new trailer:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I read a Joystiq article today that talked about them getting to see a demo of the game, so I imagine we'll see some in game footage pretty soon. I'm looking forward to this one for the character development and story; seems like this one is going to be fairly innovative for what is starting to become a played out theme/concept.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Because we need more games with swearing children and ominous country/western music.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Given what Dead Island actually was when compared to its trailer I would just like to reiterate how worthless trailers CAN be.

That said, I hope this is awesome.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
yeah... pretty much given up on any game that's trailer shows no actual gameplay.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Because we need more games with swearing children and ominous country/western music.

"alone and forsaken" by hank williams. fantastic song. yeah i have the 10 disk complete hank williams, what of it?

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
It's Naughty Dog, like they have a track record of making terrible games

Eric

Fight On!,
Given what Dead Island actually was when compared to its trailer I would just like to reiterate how worthless trailers CAN be.

Funny you should mention that...

"We saw it and we thought, wait a minute, someone else is doing this - it's really moving, there's this family that's been torn apart," says Druckmann. But, as we now know, it bore little relation to the finished article.

"You saw the game and it wasn't that," he adds. "I'm not saying whether it was a good or bad game, but it wasn't that. And we feel our trailer is very representative of what we're going for." (here)

And the first trailer they released...

Plus like Trey mentioned, this is Naughty Dog.

I wonder if they learned anything from I Am Alive that they can use or improve on. I really did like the idea of an empty gun (or a gun you didn't fire) still being a valuable tool because the enemies didn't automatically know your ammo count or would react differently to having a gun pulled on them.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I especially like that the child in this doesn't look like some annoying little story macguffin. She seems tough, weathered by the world and she isn't being sheltered by an overprotective father. He wants to protect her, but none of that covering her eyes so she doesn't see people get hurt business that has just gotten so tired.

In olden days, when society was simpler and more violent, kids were treated as adults from the age of 12 and 13. Can't say that was for the best, but it was a social condition of their world's needs. It'll be interesting to see if they implement that context into this game. Classically, we only see kids doing grown up things in stories and games of a medieval setting. Could this be the first video game to apply that to a post apocalyptic setting?

I'd love that theme to resonoate throughout the game.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
That actually isn't her father. He is a hired guide/bodygaurd to take her to another city. I read it in a Game Informer interview with the developers that was surprisingly good. The story and setting to this game is damn awesome. I have a good feeling about this one.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
That actually isn't her father. He is a hired guide/bodygaurd to take her to another city. I read it in a Game Informer interview with the developers that was surprisingly good. The story and setting to this game is damn awesome. I have a good feeling about this one.

It's still pretty cool that she's not being sheltered by the guy.

I wonder if the original concept was 'father and daughter' but then they realized they might be pushing too many buttons with that kind of relationship dynamic with a video game taking place in a post modern world. This way, they can show the girl as a survivor exposed to violence without having to deal with people complaining that the dude's a bad father.

Even though it could be adequately debated that he is just preparing her for life in a world that's never going back to 'the old ways.'

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I also assume they saw the annoying bullshit of having a partner Capcom did in RE 5 and took the steps not to make your partner a liability

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

cue additional taiso dead island rant, because this is also my fear.

also its what happened to 'i am alive' (what a cryin' shame that turned out to be).

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Uncharted 2 is crazy good dude, you should get it.

@Ninny - Yeah I'm waiting for the price to drop since I have no desire to play the multiplayer component. I'll play it before the year is out.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Uncharted 2 is crazy good dude, you should get it.

@Ninny - Yeah I'm waiting for the price to drop since I have no desire to play the multiplayer component. I'll play it before the year is out.

That's probably a good idea. The price on 2 came down pretty fast if I recall correctly... Not even a year later at that.

And 2 is indeed crazy good. :)

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
cue additional taiso dead island rant, because this is also my fear.

also its what happened to 'i am alive' (what a cryin' shame that turned out to be).

You're just mad I fleeced you on that game.

But not as mad as I am that I still lost 40 bucks on it.

And regarding I Am Alive, that was a clever attempt at a creative puzzle game with only one solution for every challenge and a curve so hard it's not stupid, it's all but unplayable.

Great idea, terrible execution.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
You're just mad I fleeced you on that game.

But not as mad as I am that I still lost 40 bucks on it.

And regarding I Am Alive, that was a clever attempt at a creative puzzle game with only one solution for every challenge and a curve so hard it's not stupid, it's all but unplayable.

Great idea, terrible execution.

$25 shipped was a great price on that game. it was still super new at the time. im great with the deal :D.

I am alive was supposed to be something completely different- everyone forgets that. I was looking forward to the fact that it was supposed to take place in a geographically correct chicago loop. someone at ubi soft felt that having it take place in a real city would 'offend' some folk and they redid it from the ground up. it became a shell of its former potential.