The Mac Apps Thread: Useful tools for Macs/iPhone/Etc.

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
It's been a while since we've had a Mac user powwow on NG.com, so I thought I'd see what fellow Mac peeps are using to get work done.

Dragoman - by Creativebe

For: OS X

This app has been a godsend for me lately. It's a batch file converter, and while there are literally hundreds of these for Macs and PCs, Dragoman is interesting and unique for a couple of reasons.

1. It can batch convert almost anything. MP3 to Ogg Vorbis, Olympus RAW to JPEG, TIFF to PDF, and a lot more. For photos, it even keeps the EXIF data. My workflow involves 80% Mac and 20% Linux day to day, so being able to batch convert large numbers of text files and photos is really helpful.

2. It does it really quickly.

3. It's free as in beer.

Pixen3 - the opensword group

For: OS X

Pixen is a really cool drawing app that lets you make raster art and sprites. I know a couple of iPhone game developers who've used it to create sprites for retro style games and it's a lot of fun to use. You can make animated gifs or MOV files (annoying, but cool nonetheless) too.

It's particularly cool if you want to neo-geo-fy yourself for an avatar, or if you wanna start hacking ROMs and other geekery. It's also free as in beer.

ComicZeal - by bitolithic

For: iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad

ComicZeal is by far my favorite comic reader app for iPhone OS. It has a pretty good interface, is really responsive, and will optimize your comics for viewing on the iPhone/iPod Touch's smaller screen. It takes cbr, cbz, rar, zip, pdf, and if you point it a folder full of jpegs it'll turn them into a comic. If you have collections, you can "box" them within the app for easier navigation.

For me, I'm just getting back into comics, I'm diving into Robert Kirkman's work (Invincible, to be exact) as we speak, and this app has made it really easy to pick up and read when I get a moment. The only downsides are that synching can be a bit cumbersome, though now you can sync comics through iTunes which is better than it was before. For some reason, after you sync them, the iPad version needs to format the comics and this takes a surprisingly long time...like 40 seconds per comic...so dumping a big collection can take a bit. From what I understand though they have it fixed in the next version. Finally, it's a tad expensive. $4 bucks for iPhone/iPod Touch, and $8 for iPad. But, in my opinion, it's well worth it.

How about you guys?

Right now, I'm currently shopping for good, simple word processors. I'm using OpenOffice.org and iWork off and on, and they work wonderfully, but both are more resource intensive than they need to be. A good, free or cheap text editor would make my day MUCH better.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I have an ipod touch, but I find the apps store overwhelming, to say the least. It's hard to know what they have, and where to even start with apps, because there's so goddamn many of them. They're not marketed very well either.

I just don't even bother.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
So with that comic book app, do you have to use comics you pay to download?

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I have an ipod touch, but I find the apps store overwhelming, to say the least. It's hard to know what they have, and where to even start with apps, because there's so goddamn many of them. They're not marketed very well either.

I just don't even bother.

I'm with you on this.

There are so many apps, I have to browse through magazines to see if they even developed an app that I'm looking for.

They need to add search tags to the apps.

smuf

Vice's Love Slave
15 Year Member
Oh god, there's so much stuff and plugins I use, so I'll only list the ones I love the most.

Free:
Caffeine
Small plugin that prevents your Mac's display going to sleep. Handy when watching youtube and stuff.

Cloud App
Allows you to upload files in the easiest possible way. Just hit a keyboard shortcut while having the files you want to upload selected and it automatically uploads them and copies the link to your clipboard. Huge timesaver.

Quicksilver
Application launcher and so much more. Allows you to make keyboard shortcuts for pretty much any task. Kinda hard to explain, takes a bit of getting used to but can really speed up your workflow.

Adium
Best IM client on the Mac. Supports pretty much any relevant IM protocol.

BetterTouchTool
Adds a LOT of functionality to your Magic Mouse/Macbook Trackpad.

VLC
The best videoplayer on the Mac (and probably every other OS), supports any format you throw at it.

VirtualBox
Virtualisation software, runs Windows/Linux on your Mac. For me, it works just as well as it's paid counterparts.

Commercial:
Tweetie
Great Twitter client. Love the interface.

Coda
My favorite HTML editor. Wonderful interface, has tons of free plugins available online.

Speed Download
Great download manager.

Last edited:

BoriquaSNK

15 Year Member
Oh god, there's so much stuff and plugins I use, so I'll only list the ones I love the most.

Free:
Caffeine
Small plugin that prevents your Mac's display going to sleep. Handy when watching youtube and stuff.

Cloud App
Allows you to upload files in the easiest possible way. Just hit a keyboard shortcut while having the files you want to upload selected and it automatically uploads them and copies the link to your clipboard. Huge timesaver.

Quicksilver
Application launcher and so much more. Allows you to make keyboard shortcuts for pretty much any task. Kinda hard to explain, takes a bit of getting used to but can really speed up your workflow.

Adium
Best IM client on the Mac. Supports pretty much any relevant IM protocol.

BetterTouchTool
Adds a LOT of functionality to your Magic Mouse/Macbook Trackpad.

VLC
The best videoplayer on the Mac (and probably every other OS), supports any format you throw at it.

VirtualBox
Virtualisation software runs Windows/Linux on your Mac. For me, it works just as well as it's paid counterparts.

Commercial:
Tweetie
Great Twitter client. Love the interface.

Coda
My favorite HTML editor. Wonderful interface, has tons of free plugins available online.

Speed Download
Great download manager.

Dude, THANK YOU. I had never heard of better touch tool or caffeine.

I was a heavy QS user in Tiger, but it was primarily an App launcher for me and I stopped using it in 10.5 when Spotlight got fast. Is it still in active development?

Love Adium, love Coda.

One quick thang, Twitter just bought atebits, and their going to releasing Tweetie for free soon. So hold off on buying it if you can, though it's well worth the $3.

BoriquaSNK

15 Year Member
How do you load comics to it? Ive looked at some apps for this before but you had to set up some sort of web UI and download them to the device via Safari.

For the iPhone version, there's an application you can download for Mac or PC from their site that can move them over wifi.

On the iPad you can do it via iTunes. You click on the device, click Applications, scroll down and you'll see ComicZeal. From there you just point it to the directory where you have your cbz's and you're golden.

You MAY be able to do that for the iPhone as well, but I honestly haven't tried.