The Music Equipment Thread

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
@sirlynxalot and @HornheaDD

This was the thread I was taking about. I still have the guitars and pedals below from years ago, but also gotten some other stuff:

Yamaha Arius 165 Digital Piano
Yamaha Alto Sax
Yamaha Flute
Moog Sound Studio 3 Semi Modular Synth
Pearl Roadshow 5 Piece Drum Set
McCready (from Pearl Jam :love:) Fender Strat (on order)
Daisy Rock Butterfly Shaped Guitar (for my daughter :oops:)
Supro Delat King 12 Guitar Amp
Some new guitar pedals...most interesting is probably a Coppersound Triplegraph Octave Pedal.

In terms of other stuff I'd like to get:
Korg NTS-2
Moog Grandmother
And a delay and reverb pedal. Maybe a T Rex Replicator :oops:

cool idea for a thread. Add some pics of your gear if you can!

here's what I got:

Guitars:
fender jaguar '65 reissue

gibson sg

This was originally a faded brown SG that I got for like $450, but I had the pickups replaced w/ the Angus Young set, changed the knobs, added the tailpiece which spruced it up alot!!

taylor 800ce jumbo

ibanez artwood

yamaha pc112 (my first guitar)

Pedals:
EH Big Muff
EH Small Stone
EH Small Clone
Dunlop Wah

(I no longer have the holy grail or memory man)

As far as what I'd like to get, not really sure at the moment Eventually I'd like to get some kind of bass but really have no idea what kind yet.

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
So do you all play live and record stuff with all this gear or is there an element of musical funkos to this?

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
I have a bunch of stuff scattered at my, my parents, and my brothers house. Actually probably have the least amount of stuff at my place atm as I've been at a lull on making and playing music in the last couple years. Will see what I might have that could be interesting to show.

I have recorded music off and on for about the last twenty years. Its not all good... But I have literally hundreds of songs I've written and recorded in that time across a variety of genres, but mostly 1960s style rock, folk and sample based hip hop and trip hop.

As far as cool instruments I used to own... I owned one of these for a few years. Each pickup could be independently switched on and off it was a very cool guitar.

1696376838621.png

neo_mao

15 Year Member
So do you all play live and record stuff with all this gear or is there an element of musical funkos to this?

Maybe a little of both. I don’t play live though I did once in college :emb:

Eldest daughter joined band 3 years ago and started playing saxophone. Prob because of the Simpsons.

She and the middle one started doing piano lessons as well. So figured they need something to practice on.

Middle one is starting band next year and wants to do drums, so figured I’d get her a set now.

The synth stuff started as a recommendation from Amazon. Got a recommendation for a toy called a blipbox. Kids loved it so that led to looking into synths. All the knob twiddling and patching cables and flashing lights looked so fun and satisfying so picked up the sound studio. That’s been great fun

Some of the guitat stuff I’ve had for close to 30 years. But the recent strat was definitely a funko-esque purchase.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

This is a stupid take - the vast majority of people who own instruments neither record or play professionally.

I own a table saw - I’m not a carpenter. I own a car - I don’t race.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
This is a stupid take - the vast majority of people who own instruments neither record or play professionally.

I own a table saw - I’m not a carpenter. I own a car - I don’t race.
It'd be more like if you owned a dozen table saws or a dozen cars. I'm not saying people need to be pro to have an instrument or even a few instruments. But having dozens and dozens of guitars, amps, and pedals seems funko-esque in most cases.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I have about +/-15U of Eurorack modular. Cool stuff but I decided what I really wanted was a Make Noise Shared system. I have the case and most of the modules in that instrument anyway - So I’m working on having an instrument as the manufacturer intended. Not sure what I’ll do with the rest of my modular. I like the idea of making instruments instead of having a never ending wall of modular. That approach really made sense when I got the Pittsburgh Modular Voltage Lab which is an excellent standalone semi-modular like Moogs stuff.

Less is more.

Other Synths:

Elektron Anlog 4, Octatrack, Analog Rytm (all MK1.) A poly, a sampler, a drum machine. That cured any endless desire to collect other synths as much as I’d like to. Only thing I can’t do is big polyphony.

Soma Pipe - this shit is weird and i don’t know why I bought it except everything Soma makes is gold.

And I have other gear - mics, diy stuff, tape stuff, a vocoder, midi controlled lights, midi controllers, sequencers, a looper, just odds and ends like two C64s for Cynthcart and MSSIAH respectively.

Have a Kalimba and a couple harmonicas.

I have video synth too and some other video gear but that doesn’t really count.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Handmade Electronic Music by Nicolas Collins is the best book out there to get in to DIY electronic music, btw, especially if you have zero electronics knowledge. Grab the third edition.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I have a bunch of stuff scattered at my, my parents, and my brothers house. Actually probably have the least amount of stuff at my place atm as I've been at a lull on making and playing music in the last couple years. Will see what I might have that could be interesting to show.

I have recorded music off and on for about the last twenty years. Its not all good... But I have literally hundreds of songs I've written and recorded in that time across a variety of genres, but mostly 1960s style rock, folk and sample based hip hop and trip hop.

As far as cool instruments I used to own... I owned one of these for a few years. Each pickup could be independently switched on and off it was a very cool guitar.

View attachment 68455
which brand/model of guitar is this?
so, turning the pickups on or off changes the sound of it?

neo_mao

15 Year Member
It'd be more like if you owned a dozen table saws or a dozen cars. I'm not saying people need to be pro to have an instrument or even a few instruments. But having dozens and dozens of guitars, amps, and pedals seems funko-esque in most cases.

Not sure if that is directed at me, but if so for all intents and purposes I currently have 4 guitars (2 electric and 2 acoustic)....bought over the span of 30 years. I only have 1 amp.

Yes, the latest guitar i ordered was a unecessary treat to myself, but it's ok I'm worth it. :vik:

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
which brand/model of guitar is this?
so, turning the pickups on or off changes the sound of it?
Teisco K4l, or Kl4, I've seen it named both ways. There's also a 2 and 3 pickup version. Another interesting model is the teisco spectrum, but that costs a pretty penny.

1696415652362.png

Yes, the different pickups change the sound a bit. Vibrations on the strings sound different at different lengths on the string. Closer to the neck sounds bassier and more mellow (example, Eric Clapton's woman tone), closer to the bridge sounds harsher, more trebley, and more defined (example, 12 string jangle of The Byrds and surf rock). Depending on the guitar, guitarists can also mix these different types of tones together by switching on 2 or more pickups and playing with volume controls.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Nice pics. I don't have as much gear as I used to since I stopped playing music a few years ago. (theres a thread I started here a couple years ago about it no need to go into detail again).

I currently own 5 guitars, 1 POS bass, and one amp/cab.

Dont have time to get pics as of yet but my gutiars are:

2001 Les Paul Special double cut in TV yellow. This is my baby. with one P90 in the neck position, and a P90 sized Dimarzio SuperD 'bucker in the bridge position. The guy I bought the SuperD from only had a cream one, so I got a cream cover for the standard P90 so they'd match. It looks different. I wouldnt say unique per se, but not your average lookin LP Spec. This guitar will never be sold and will go in the ground with me. It was a grail.

1971 Yamaha FG-180 Nippon Gakki Red Label. Second baby. This guitar... damn, IYKYK. Another that will be buried with me. I put a piezo pick up in the bridge for when I was doing acoustic shows.

1995 (or 4?) Samick Strat copy: Back when I knew very little about guitars in general, I bought a Samick "Ice" guitar, (click for image) made of acrylic. Yep, I played an acrylic guitar before Dave Grohl ever did. I mean his was way nicer, but yeah. I bought the Ice guitar new, had it a few years and traded it in for this Samick. I lost a chunk of change, but I was a kid when I bought it. I gave it away to my wife's brother as a gift and he lost his fucking mind about it. Then he passed away in 1999, so his parents gave me the guitar back to keep it. I'll never sell it.

2001 Squire Bullet: It was an anniversary gift that my wife got me. Its a 100% beater and has the worst tone of all time. But it was a gift and I knew she put some thought into it, so no selling it.

Unknown year Yamaha classical guitar. It was a cheap guitar purchased off of Reverb for like $150 new. I wanted to get back into playing classical again. I didnt. Its not worth much so no reason to sell it. Maybe when my nephew is older I'll pass it on to him.

Amp:
Orange CR120H with a Marshal 2x12 with V30s in it. Used to play a Jet City 333 but I didnt like the tone so I sold it and got a Blackstar HT100. Used to play shows with it attached to a Marshall 4x12 with V30s and it fuckin RIPPED. But it was heavy as balls. So I bought this CR120H. I know its a solid state (tubes rule I know) but somehow Orange was able to get the Crush series of solid state amps to crank out volume like a tube amp will. Its pretty impressive, and light as a feather.

I'll try to get some pics later on after work.

edit: the bass is hardly worth talking about, its a squire POS. But it did get played by the bassist for The Business on a tour. Wasnt a huge fan of the Business, but pretty cool that some legends played my bass around the country lol.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I was in a band in high school, and stuck with it for a bit into my 20s, but I've barely touched a guitar in 20 years. I pulled out an old junker recently, and messed around with it, and got the itch to start playing again. So I've been shopping around the last couple weeks, testing out some different ones, and I decided on this Gibson Les Paul Special. The Specials are stripped down compared to standard Les Pauls, but they play and sound great in my opinion. Plus, they're much more affodable. Ha!
Anyway, I'm pretty dang happy with it. Feels good to be playing again. :D

Attachments

• 20240508_194723.jpg
    20240508_194723.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 8

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I’m not saying everybody (or even anybody here) is chasing a dragon, but it wasn’t until very recently I discovered that’s what I was doing with musical instruments. The chase was exciting and scoring a cool guitar felt good for a day or two. Posting pictures, getting e-cred, that sort of thing. But then it would just sit on a wall for 99% of the time. I’ve owned some beautiful instruments over the years - Caparisons, Fender signature strats, expensive Taylor acoustics, Mesa/Boogie, Engl, and high dollar Fender amps. You name it.

But man, it dawned on me that these are merely tools. A means to an end. I had all of this gear (plus multiple other expensive pedalboards loaded with Strymons and the like), but when I would get a gig, whether at the local cafe, community theater, or musical gigs at the local college, I’d always take a midrange guitar and a cheap modeling amp. One day I just looked at everything and decided to purge it all.

That’s just my little update. Probably has something to do with getting older, but going back and seeing my posts in here and how excited I was to share it all…I can’t even relate to that anymore. I’d much rather everybody share their music.

Good to see all y’all still kicking around.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I’m not saying everybody (or even anybody here) is chasing a dragon, but it wasn’t until very recently I discovered that’s what I was doing with musical instruments. The chase was exciting and scoring a cool guitar felt good for a day or two. Posting pictures, getting e-cred, that sort of thing. But then it would just sit on a wall for 99% of the time. I’ve owned some beautiful instruments over the years - Caparisons, Fender signature strats, expensive Taylor acoustics, Mesa/Boogie, Engl, and high dollar Fender amps. You name it.

But man, it dawned on me that these are merely tools. A means to an end. I had all of this gear (plus multiple other expensive pedalboards loaded with Strymons and the like), but when I would get a gig, whether at the local cafe, community theater, or musical gigs at the local college, I’d always take a midrange guitar and a cheap modeling amp. One day I just looked at everything and decided to purge it all.

That’s just my little update. Probably has something to do with getting older, but going back and seeing my posts in here and how excited I was to share it all…I can’t even relate to that anymore. I’d much rather everybody share their music.

Good to see all y’all still kicking around.
Wes, I'm not sucking dick here or anything, but I genuinely enjoyed whenever you shared your music years ago. No matter if you regret what you bought, what you created through those instruments is what will live forever on the internet.

Anyways, thanks for sharing what music you did make. I did listen to that Big Bear on repeat for a while. All I can say now is I hope you don't lose that spirit.

Yeah. We're all getting older.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
IMG_20201127_210011618~2.jpg
This is the last guitar I bought.
Why?
MeshuggaH.
I shouldn't have, I own a lot of shit and barely play let alone have any talent.