The worst controller/stick you've ever owned?

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
C'mon man. Don't do this...

The d-pad sucks too. Also the design is bulky (awkward to hold) and has a lot of wasted space (atheistically).

It's the worst stock controller that I've personally ever played with.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
The quickshot stuff was pretty ordinary back in the day. I have both the sticks pictured in this thread, both crap.

Look at this shit:

QuickShot_QS-129F.JPG

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
The d-pad sucks too. Also the design is bulky (awkward to hold) and has a lot of wasted space (atheistically).

It's the worst stock controller that I've personally ever played with.

I disagree, but I can see why someone might not like the dreamcast controller. I remember it snugly fitting my hand and having a pretty good time with it.

the Microsoft Sidewinder is pretty bad, probably the worst I've personally owned.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Ditto on the turbo touch as many others have stated, first controller that immediately came to mind. I bought one in the early 90's and paid too much iirc.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I had one of these once. So, so crappy.
61Do2gR5QRL._SX355_.jpg
I was poor and it was an impulse buy. I returned it the next day and later got an ASCII Stick ET from an import shop.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Some Tandy TRS-80 sticks. They didn't have a spring to re-center and would stick in a direction if you didn't remember to center it back yourself... was very frustrating with any kind of action game

U-004-H-00030-A_00.jpg

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Total piece of crap. I gave it away. Plus it's so small it's only suitable for Desk to play one hand style lol.

ascii stick.jpg

Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Anything made by Madcatz. I never owned one because I only buy the first party stuff, but everyone I knew who had one - for any system - saw them break within a couple months.

And yes, the N64 controller. Besides being uncomfortable, they sticks wear out too easily. I've seen a fair few limp N64 sticks that hang down and to the left or right.

...ugh...I really couldn't think of another way to describe that without the innuendo...

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
The quickshot stuff was pretty ordinary back in the day. I have both the sticks pictured in this thread, both crap.

Look at this shit:

View attachment 11652

It's not the controller you need, or even the controller you deserve. Unless you murdered 77 people and are sitting in a Norwegian prison.

Then you deserve it.

Atari had a lock on this category. I used to think the 2600 controller was bad but that was before I used a 5200, then 7800. They were even worse.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Atari had a lock on this category. I used to think the 2600 controller was bad but that was before I used a 5200, then 7800. They were even worse.

this is a fact. Atari had no clue how to make a good controller.

But I bet those controllers still work better than a N64 stock controller.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Almost embarrassed to say I owned a pair at one point. Good thing I found some dude to take them off my hands.

ngxstick_zps187fb6e2.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The stick on the N64 controller was the first controller I ever got a blister from. We used to be hardcore Mario Party players.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The only good joystick Atari made was for the 2600 and that wasn't even that great. I have 3 working 5200 joysticks and even when they're working correctly, they're still garbage. After playing 5200 for awhile I end up walking around like Seinfeld after he signed all those checks from the Japanese TV show. The 7800 controller is better, but that's not saying much. And let's not forget their final mistake, releasing a 3-button Jaguar controller at a time when 6-buttons were pretty much the new standard.

I learned my lesson years ago to stay away from 3rd party controllers, I agree with Madcatz being crap along with most Naki controllers.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
A friend gave me this for free. At least I didn't spend any money on it.

1400294-p1010779.jpg

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Forgot about this thing too:

-

Xbox-Duke-Controller.jpg

Certainly, it may not be the worst controller for many, but I was gobsmacked with horror the first time I ever had to witness and use one of these. Gotta love that piece of paper with "Xbox" written on it, concealed behind that clear plastic cap *sigh*

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I don't fancy the Dreamcast pad too much. Why the fuck is the cord coming out of the control on the side that faces the player?

Because it would otherwise get in the way of the VMU/rumble slots? If they had a connection up there it would be even more bulky.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Total piece of crap. I gave it away. Plus it's so small it's only suitable for Desk to play one hand style lol.

View attachment 11656

I have this, only I think it's a slight variant. Mine is a little better looking and I think the buttons are reasonably more close together. However it is still a giant fucking piece of shit that used once.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member

I'll second that. I hated the whole N64 system because of the controller. Worst...Design...Ever... The Gamecube is not far behind with it's controller. I don't believe Nintendo got it somewhat right when it released the classic controller for the Wii. The PS1/2/3 controller sucks too. Made for small hands. The PS4 controller is an improvement.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Power Glove gets the win, but since that was already mentioned I'll nominate the Naki 3DO controller.

mEy4y7FqA4S_CB_gobux7Og.jpg

It looks innocent enough, standard layout and all that jazz, but it is the worst controller I have ever used. I got a pack that had two of them, I ended up cutting the cord off of one to use with my fight stick and throwing the other in the garbage. I've used other cheap generic controllers before and they sucked, but at least they WORKED. The Naki just needed to die.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I always wondered what the hell that thing was for. Looks like you're trying to drive a Light Cycle in your living room.

I always thought they looked like a klingon bird of prey.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member

Many would say you forgot the Jaguar.

Damn, jsiucho kind of beat me to it.