Thinking about getting into the Genny world, so school me please!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Back in the days I bought both SNES and Genesis. I have about 2x more SNES games than Genesis games though. The tiebreaker is mainly multiplatform titles that I mostly buy for the SNES, except for Mortal Kombat of course.

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
I grew up with the Genesis, so naturally, the SNES always looked better to me as that suited my grass is always greener on the other side kid-logic of the time.

But looking back, other than the needlessly low number of available colors, I still appreciate a few things about the Genesis - it's speed, the tendency to get the original arcade versions of games instead of the "Super" versions that the SNES sometimes got, and the way that EA ported a number of interesting PC and Amiga games to the Genesis, making them available to a wider audience beyond the PC gaming crowd of that era. Surprisingly, the Genesis versions of some Amiga classics are nearly as good their computer counterparts. And at the time, sports games and shooters had a nice home on the Genesis.

Watching current game streamers, you would think that everyone grew up with Nintendo and nothing else. (Perhaps in part because it's still not unusual to find 22 year olds who grew up playing a hand me down NES), but there was a time when, albeit just barely, Sega actually had slightly more market share for a business quarter or so than Nintendo did. At its peak, there were a ton of Genesis machines installed in homes.

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy
So today I picked up a gen 2 console with 2 controllers (3 and 6 button), hookups, and 12 loose assorted games for $45! Games of note are batman and robin, vector man, sonic 2 with the knuckles add on, the rest are kinda junky.

I cracked it open to see that it has the VA2.3 board, and from the link posted earlier it seems that it's the better of the bunch.

Overall, I think it's a decent deal to startup with!

Edit: also see that this thread still needs to be moved please and thank you

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
So today I picked up a gen 2 console with 2 controllers (3 and 6 button), hookups, and 12 loose assorted games for $45! Games of note are batman and robin, vector man, sonic 2 with the knuckles add on, the rest are kinda junky.

I cracked it open to see that it has the VA2.3 board, and from the link posted earlier it seems that it's the better of the bunch.

Overall, I think it's a decent deal to startup with!

Edit: also see that this thread still needs to be moved please and thank you
Congrats the picture and sound on a model 2 is ok,but not as good compared to a model 1.Also it doesn't hurt to have a everdrive md flashtcart for the console as well ;)

Last edited:

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
Congrats the picture and sound on a model 2 is ok,but not as good compared to a model 1.Also it doesn't hurt to have a everdrive md flastcart for the console as well ;)

I wouldn't recommend it if you're wanting to get into collecting legit carts.. but it's a great way to play unreleased games and hacks without looking into repros

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I wouldn't recommend it if you're wanting to get into collecting legit carts.. but it's a great way to play unreleased games and hacks without looking into repros
I have one at the most it's a great way to play games with fan translations or for a expensive title.Beside it's added bonus it doubles as a converter letting you play mega-cd games on a sega-cd.

Last edited:

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
I have one at the most it's a great way to play games with fan translations or for a expensive title.Beside it's added bonus it doubles as a converter letting you play mega-cd games on a sega-cd.

Oh so it works as a sort of multibios also? Never knew that! Great!

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
1) Get yourself a Model 1, some Sonic games, a bit of Rocket Night Adventures, Castlevania: New Generation, Flashback, Gauntlet (4), and some Streets of Rage.
2) Grab a beer of choice. Preferably multiple beers.
3) Play + Drink
4) You will: Feel awesome. Get all the girls. Win Nobel Peace Prize.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Mortal Kombat II CIB

The greatest of Mortal Kombats

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Congrats the picture and sound on a model 2 is ok,but not as good compared to a model 1.Also it doesn't hurt to have a everdrive md flastcart for the console as well ;)

Oh ya I did want to pick up a gen 1, but this came up first and it was reasonable enough. Of the gen 2 revisions this seemed like it was the best.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Step one never call it a 'genny' it's not some barren mule.
But in all seriousness, you can't go wrong with some of the givens here: Sonic 2 and Earthworm Jim. Two incredibly good games and EwJ doesn't get remembered enough by all the bornagain retro people. Sonic 2 is the best value for money on the platform period.
Then I would go directly to Streets of Rage 2 and the Thunderforce 3 + 4 and if those last three don't make you fall in love with FM chippiness sound of the Genesis... then the system is not for you and you should move on.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Oh ya I did want to pick up a gen 1, but this came up first and it was reasonable enough. Of the gen 2 revisions this seemed like it was the best.
Well,if you ever get sick of the model 2 picture&sound the model one is fairly common and cheap to buy.

-D-

Zero's Secretary

I also didn't know this, VERY nice! Thanks for sharing that bit.

SamSpade

n00b
Yes, generally speaking, the ones that say "High Definition Graphics" are the good ones, although that isn't always 100% accurate. If you're a baller, the X'Eye and CDX are both good combo Genesis/Sega CD units as well, but are expensive.

My set up is pretty functional. I go with a model 2 with a model 2 sega cd. There's a couple of real hidden gems that make the sega cd worth it. I think the Terminator has some of the most kickass music for a game of it's time. Ideally, a CDX is the way to go for the space if nothing else when you got a fuck ton of consoles already hooked up everywhere.

The shmups are all pretty decent. Check out Wings of Wor, the game is brilliant and no one ever mentions it.

About the sound, I always liked the sound of the genesis music better than the snes. The snes does technically sound "better" but the genesis has a nice crunchy sound that's unique to that system. It sounds like an old video game and that's the charm of it for me at least.

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
you need to pick yourself up a copy of yu yu hakusho makyo toitsusen; it is one of the finest 16 bit fighting games ever made and well worth the price. I personally prefer the dragon ball z genesis game over any of its super butoden counterparts. the shining force games are also phenomenal. castlevania bloodlines is also worth checking out. oh and streets of rage 3

Wookiemeat

Super Spy Agent
20 Year Member
you need to pick yourself up a copy of yu yu hakusho makyo toitsusen; it is one of the finest 16 bit fighting games ever made and well worth the price. I personally prefer the dragon ball z genesis game over any of its super butoden counterparts. the shining force games are also phenomenal. castlevania bloodlines is also worth checking out. oh and streets of rage 3

Streets of Rage 3?????

Total travesty of a game and literally killed the franchise!

Loefye

Lt. Laser,

If anyone is interested I have a like new mega everdrive deluxe from stoneage gamer(the best genesis flashcart) that I can sell. I never use it as all my cd games are jp as well as my unit and I own almost a full set of the games I want.

Last edited:

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
Mortal Kombat II CIB

The greatest of Mortal Kombats

PSX > 32X ?

That was a long but interesting video. I think Undead Line looks fantastic, I'll try to snag a cheaper copy one day!

I have a soft spot for the Genesis. Even though the SNES was far superior, people just hate on it because the initial 3-button pad was probably one of the worst designs in controller history!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Streets of Rage 3?????

Total travesty of a game and literally killed the franchise!

I was waiting for someone to say something like that. That's such an exaggeration.

Anyways, the Genesis is great. I grew up with an SNES, got into the Genesis as I got older. It's not worth comparing the two consoles at all. Hardware wise, library wise, third party support wise..

Just start slow, and don't be a fool like me and get sucked into the novelty of buying boxed Japan Mega Drive titles.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
If you are going to game on a Genesis I strongly recommend getting one of these video encoders off of ebay. With this you would just get a scart cable for the system and connect it. The video quality is sharp and stunning. I have my RGB Modded AV Famicom, SNES, Genesis (model 1), SMS, Playstation, and Sega Saturn all going to a scart splitter then to this encoder. It is far better quality than any S-Video mod will get you and does not have the jailbars that are present on most the simple Genesis S-Video mods. It looks fantastic on my 35 inch Sony Triniton.

If you still get jailbars on a Model 1 Genesis with this or pure RGB simply lift pins 5 and 6 on the cxa1145 video encoder inside the system. The oscillator in the circuit that generates color is the source of most the interference that causes the jailbars in the Genesis, not the encoder itself as a lot of people believe. Lifting these pins should clear it up for you (It eliminated all jailbars for me)

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Thanks for all the input!

Although I do prefer to collect legit carts, an everdrive would be a nice supplement to a collection. I didn't even know something like that existed until it was mentioned in this thread!

I am looking forward to playing Castlevania Bloodlines as I just picked up one on eBay (clam shell Konami version minus the manual) and also getting my hands on hard corps and giving that a go!