Thinking of doing an AK47 build.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I was thinking of buying a Romanian parts kit and building an ex-service AK in 7.62x39 (7.62 Soviet). Was gonna just pay the premium for the pre pressed and headspaced barrel. Just need to deal with a few rivets after that because I found a pre built receiver. Anyone know how how hard these last few rivets are to do yourself?

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
because lots of people build Superguns here?

*badumtshh

sorry couldn't deny the temptation.

(*bad joke drum cymbal noise)

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I can't answer that...I've built ARs, never an AK. There's a really lengthy firearms thread here, you may want to ask there.

Personally, I'd check other firearm related forums or better yet, possibly look up online tutorials.

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
I thought AK's are the Toyota Hilux of the weapon world?

hit them with a hammer and they'll work again.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I thought AK's are the Toyota Hilux of the weapon world?

hit them with a hammer and they'll work again.

For the most part, they are...but this is an incomplete receiver build, so he needs to know the process of completing the item.

It's on the line of people who buy an "80% AR lower" so they can mill it out and drill appropriate holes in locations.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Be careful, there's a lot of badly made and fake shit coming from Romania. We have converted one of those imports to a movie weapon at our factory and the quality of the parts was utter crap to say the least.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
It's on the line of people who buy an "80% AR lower" so they can mill it out and drill appropriate holes in locations.

That's about right. The barrel cannot be field stripped from the receiver so if you were to buy a completed receiver with a serial number already on it that doesn't have the front and rear trunnion is installed. You have to press in your own barrel into the front trunnion and then rivet in the rear and front trunnion into the primary receiver body.

Some people refer to AK receiver building as more like blacksmithing rather than gunsmithing.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That's about right. The barrel cannot be field stripped from the receiver so if you were to buy a completed receiver with a serial number already on it that doesn't have the front and rear trunnion is installed. You have to press in your own barrel into the front trunnion and then rivet in the rear and front trunnion into the primary receiver body.

Some people refer to AK receiver building as more like blacksmithing rather than gunsmithing.

Yeah...and you need to be a milling machinist to prep a 80% lower.

I love seeing the hack jobs some do when they have no clue what they're doing.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I was hoping this thread was OP building a fight stick or CMVS enclosure out of an AK-47.

Sigh.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I was thinking of buying a Romanian parts kit and building an ex-service AK in 7.62x39 (7.62 Soviet). Was gonna just pay the premium for the pre pressed and headspaced barrel. Just need to deal with a few rivets after that because I found a pre built receiver. Anyone know how how hard these last few rivets are to do yourself?

American guns not good enough for you, ya goddamn pinko?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Out of the 4 guns I have fired, 3 of them being a 22. rifle, double barrel shotgun and an M60, the AK47 was more fun to shoot.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Out of the 4 guns I have fired, 3 of them being a 22. rifle, double barrel shotgun and an M60, the AK47 was more fun to shoot.

That is why I am waiting to build this. Just a "fun to shoot" gun. Something with some history and function with options for military attachments. Just buying it off the shelf would not be as fun in my opinion.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
My friends and I built a number of AKs a few years back (uh...actually 8 years now, damn) - to my knowledge all my friends guns are still running.

We built a number of 47 and 74s including one pistol which my friend subsequently SBRed.

I cheated built mine from a prevent receiver from Nodak Spud. The purpose for this was twofold: one, we built at my friends house out of state and I was on vacation so I was pressed for time, and two we used my receiver as a reference for what a correct receiver should look like.

I don’t remember if mine had rails installed? I think it did. A prebuilt will save you a lot of critical steps: heat treating and spot welding.

Took us like 5 days to do our guns but we triple checked just about everything.

If you’re buying a receiver then get a good quality parts kit. I had some shit barrel but found an alleged NOS East German Barrel.

If you have the technical know how then go for it.

It also helped that my friend happened to live 5 min from the AK Builder dudes shop. Not sure if he is still online.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Buy all the tools and jigs you’ll need, it’s worth it

Here’s some old pics of my build. Still needs a flashlight and probably a repaint but meh.

https://imgur.com/a/F4qtG

RIP 7n6.

Fuck you ATF.

The abortion on the trigger guard was for CA compliance.

I still have a beautiful plum furniture set but the regular AK grip doesn’t work for my hand so I went with a black US Palm grip and swapped out for black furniture.

Optic mount is an older RS Regulate and the optic is an old 4MOA Aimpoint 9000L.

Last edited:

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Here’s some old pics of my build. Still needs a flashlight and probably a repaint but meh.

https://imgur.com/a/F4qtG

Very nice build. I like the black furniture on it. I would have gone 5.45 myself but I didn't have anything in 7.62 yet. That and I was seeing that 5.45 was in general more expensive for ammo costs

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Those spam cans of 5.45 were like $100 or so when we built that. All surplus Soviet 7n6 ammo which ATF ruled armor piercing pistol ammunition. RIP. Price went up and the cheap ammo dried up. I think surplus mags were only $10 each at the time.

I have a 7.62 AK as well that I overpaid for.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
If you only plan on one I don't think it's worth the time or the investment in tools.
I would just buy one and be done, it's what I did.
If you're wanting to build multiple riffles then yeah, get the tools.
I would stick with 7.62 or 5.56, 5.45 is sweet but it's nowhere near as cheap as it used to be and a much better selection can be had in 5.56.
Anywho, there is a long going thread on firearms, join us there!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Hellion brings up a could point. It was at least 5 of us who went in on the jigs and tools we needed, plus we had access to a friends shop tools.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Personally I just ended up buying a Saiga 7.62 a while back and replaced most of the OEM parts, such as a new multi-positional pistol-grip stock, aluminum quad rail fore-grip, and new gas piston. I like the Saiga because you can mod it without having to machine anything as opposed to the AK-47, as I couldn't be arsed. Plus it is just as reliable as an AK-47 and is Russian made, only downside is it takes proprietary magazines, though AK mags will work just fine with a small modification.

Last edited:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
If you only plan on one I don't think it's worth the time or the investment in tools.
I would just buy one and be done, it's what I did.
If you're wanting to build multiple riffles then yeah, get the tools.
I would stick with 7.62 or 5.56, 5.45 is sweet but it's nowhere near as cheap as it used to be and a much better selection can be had in 5.56.

I second, or third? this. Just buy one premade. I have a bunch of fancy AR's, but I still think I like shooting my AK's more. Between my brother and I we have 5 of them. Even the Century builds (just looked up a bunch online for under $600 - I'm sure there's some cheaper locally – those used to be like $450-500 a couple years ago) are perfectly fine contrary to internet wisdom (if anything is majorly messed up they will fix it free of charge, just mail it to them from UPS like any other package - check your laws though, that's how it is in Pennsylvania at least).

If you want higher end I HIGHLY recommend an Arsenal - couple years ago they started doing more budget friendly models which start at a little under $900, and even those are still pretty choice (still AK's though so don't expect perfection on all the parts). But honestly, even my little 11" Century Draco underfolder SBR will still hit the 6" steel at 200 yards all day long, so it's not like you're gaining massive performance benefits when you go with Arsenal with the ranges these are meant to be used at. Definitely go stamped receiver over milled - the weight difference isn't worth it for milled - they're friggin heavy tanks.

I would not get it in anything other than 7.62x39 though - that's what a traditional AK is supposed to be in my mind. They are extremely smooth shooting (especially with a good brake), even compared to 5.56. 7.62 Ammo is still relatively cheap too (can pickup a 1k case at gun shows for $220, maybe even $180-200 out the door if you're still lucky). 7.62 mags are dirt cheap and you really can't kill them (I have about 35 from all different countries...think the only stinker mag was a plastic 'range only' type I picked up for $8 - all others are steel and/or bakelite and/or circle 10 bulgarian and indestructible pretty much). Some great aftermarket triggers out now for AK's too - they almost give my Geissele SSA-E's a run for their money (ok, almost, but still SUPER smooth AK triggers are an easy drop-in anymore).

lfgz4g6.jpg

QFxwhwh.jpg

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
It is still not enough because

mr x.jpg

It must be nice to live in a free state where you're ACTUALLY allowed to buy the firearms you want.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
It's pretty good where I'm at....

Some of those Cali compliant AR units are mega lol.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Organize and fight.
It seems impossible but it only is if you do nothing.

Dude this state is shit. I had to register just to buy ammo, AMMO. And I can not find the ammo I need and you can't mail order it in this state. But hell you can't buy the firearm you want either. They come out with anti 2nd legislation every year.