Tips on Buying a Cab

Stryder

n00b
I'm going to be in the market for a cab fairly soon and wanted to know what sort of things to be looking for when shopping. I'm going to be buying either a candy cab or a big red 4-slotter.

Any advice?

Robert

20 Year Member
There was (I don't know if it's still opened) a pretty solid website on the MVS systems called hardmvs or something like that. I could be a great help in your search.
Beside that, you won't regret your choice cause playing on a cab make the gaming experience tremendous.

LuxorMalenkov

New Challenger
The Monitor is the most expensive thing to replace. If you can get a beat to crap cab with an awesome monitor, it makes a whole lot more sense than a crappy monitor in an awesome cab.

Almost every other part can be shipped relatively cheaply.

Angel

Morden's Lackey
yeah, i have a revision 3 big red 4 slot. The monitor was perfect, but the rest of the cab was in fair to ok shape.

See my post in the 24-bit section regarding my MVS restore project.

Right now I'm finding everything very easy to replace and fix, my advice would be pretty much the same as posted above. Worry about getting a cab with a good monitor and good board, the controls, speakers, pretty much everything else can be swapped out and re-furbed pretty easily.

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
It just depends on your own personal tastes. I actually like the NA cabs over the JPN cabs. It has a more nostalgic arcade feel for me. Not to mention most candy's are more expensive to own and fix up. Like most people are saying, the monitor is the more important factor in choosing a cab. It's the most expensive piece to replace when it needs to be. Everything else in the cab (buttons, speakers, etc) can be for a fraction.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Check the cabinet inside and out. Last two I bought had acid around the legs of the battery and could have cause serious damage. Play with the monitor, if you can't get a decent picture, either forget about it or offer much less.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The first one is allways the most memorable, be patient! There are plenty of cabs for sale out there and rushing can lead you into a heap of reopairs you don;t want to be left with making your arcade experience bothersome.

Like said above monitor is allways the thing to look for, but keep in mind the body of the cab, not necessarily the paint or mint factor of it, but more like the shape. There are plenty of "behemoth" cabs that belong in a fire pit, many woodworkers back then could care less for practical designs and only few cabs had a nice cut for their profiles.

US MVS cabs are a testament to excellent wood design, there are other very nice cabs like the Midway ones with very comfortable CP's, and better yet the revered rotable dynamo cabs, man those are nice for all jamma purposes. Some capcom cabs are nice, and very ilttle namco cabs are nice at less they are dynamo conversions, so be weary, but most of all be patient, the cab market is inflated with sellers not much for buyers right now.

Another cab worth mentioning is the Sega Titan ST-V US cab, the only plastic US cab you'll ever see, pretty nifty for a conversion, but unfortunately it is not rotable, big cab though, but it compensates with lots of elbow room and elegant curves.