Turbo Grafx 16/ PC-Engine: Worth Getting?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
China Warrior is a awesome game. What do you think of Vigilante? I think it's pretty similar to Kung Fu but better.

I like it, played it in the arcade a bunch so by the time it hit consoles I was burned out on it. Maybe I'll play it tonight :D

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I love Kung Fu and thus love Vigilante even more

Get a Turbografx 16 or PC Engine and a Turbo Everdrive. It's all you will ever really need. There isn't much by way of CD-ROM worth owning to be completely honest. I have an original white PC Engine with a Turbo Everdrive card that has literally every Hu Card game released in the US and Japan.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Get a Turbografx 16 or PC Engine and a Turbo Everdrive. It's all you will ever really need. There isn't much by way of CD-ROM worth owning to be completely honest. I have an original white PC Engine with a Turbo Everdrive card that has literally every Hu Card game released in the US and Japan.

Your honesty couldn't be further from the truth... ban plz

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

You honestly should stay out of this thread.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
After reading all this, I am tempted to get one, but I am kind of intimidated by all the different version.:scratch:
I think ill just start with a PCE with a Turbo everdrive first.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
After reading all this, I am tempted to get one, but I am kind of intimidated by all the different version.:scratch:
I think ill just start with a PCE with a Turbo everdrive first.

thats my thoughts on it too... either that or go all out with a Duo-R or Duo-RX... seems to be the best bet

the coregrafx models seems to be relatively cheap to get started... i'm just worried i'll get it and straight away want the CD games haha

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Obvious troll.

Demand control, I don't know why we say we like anything. It just leads to more assholes entering the fray and increasing demand.

PCE is cool...If you like snacking on shit chips. Import Saturn? Fuck that US consoles and games ONLY. MVS is for fucking hobos. DuoR's are junk, I will recycle them for you.

AES is the best and only system I'll put my money into - It just makes more sense financially. Don't you want to be 1992 boss?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
i'm just worried i'll get it and straight away want the CD games haha

That will happen, guaranteed. The core system is the gateway drug. After a few months of playing the hucard games you're going to want to try something different.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I've been playing a lot of PCE stuff I never got the chance to way back when via emu on the Ouya, and man...I'm having a lot of fun with it. I don't think I could be arsed to rock legit hardware anymore...but the games themselves are great. Star Soldier series is tops. Also been playing Star Parodia and Legendary Axe.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I'm a long time Turbo fan. It's actually the first system that I really got into. While everyone was still messing with the NES and the Genesis was still getting started, I was collecting the Turbo. I actually bought a Genesis to see how it compares and returned it a few weeks later because I thought the Turbo was a better system. Unfortunately I traded off my first collection with all the boxes. Many years later, I got stationed in Japan and my love for the system came back. This time I collected PC Engine version. I have several Core Grafx systems, 2 Super Grafx (one mint), a PC Engine Shuttle and both the Express and GT handheld. All of which I paid hardly anything for by hitting up second-hand stores. I did have CD attachments and a Duo, but sold them off. I never cared for the CD games. Something about having the cards was my attraction for the system. My only complaint about the system was the insane amount of add-ons. I felt like NEC was trying to squeeze blood from a rock. The turbo tap was dumb if you wanted to play two. The system should of had at least two ports and the turbo tap as an incentive for the other games if you wanted. I think without the Turbo, I would not have gotten into the NEO. I see similarities between the two. Both non-mainstream and with original gameplay. I really don't keep up with the system much anymore, but I noticed someone mentioning an Everdrive. I know nothing about it. What's the difference between the regular drive and the deluxe? Also, can I use it in the Turbo Express or GT? I would like to pick it up. The Express is my favorite handheld ever.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I have a PCEngineGT and that thing eats batteries like candy. Six fresh AAs, completely drained in half an hour.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
It loves batteries for sure, but for the time what a great picture in a beautifully styled case. Being able to play the home library on the go was awesome.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I have a PCEngineGT and that thing eats batteries like candy. Six fresh AAs, completely drained in half an hour.

Stop buying batteries at the dollar store. A good set modern battery will last three or four hours.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Wow, lots of insight on getting a PCE system!

I have a good idea what to get when I'm good and ready to commit to the system.

But in other news, I should've picked up Hi Leg Fantasy when I was away for the one weekend. Would've been an awesome starter game for my PCE collecting!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
To those who are new and don't know what a "hammerhead setup" is, he means his penis.